FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Ernie Menehune (img heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Ernie Menehune (img heavy)
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 09:11 am   Permalink

Hey Sven, I do remember that. Many of the tikis at KT are reminiscent of tikis in that picture. I wonder if Milan Guanko was the original supplier.

Bob at OA said that Dean Shorts, the owner, was.... let's say "thrifty." Apparently he would buy things from OA and then find other people that could reproduce it at a lesser cost, hence the lack of detail and sharpness in the original Kon Tiki Tucson mug. Dean got the original sun god mug from OA, then he had local manufacturers Fire Hut and Carmax copy it. So, if Milan was selling his carvings for less it sounds like Dean would have switched over to doing business with him.

But I don't want to hijack my own thread so back to Ernie. I hope people will seriously consider taking a road trip to Tucson for the opportunity to see him.

cheeky half

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 11:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-03 09:11, cheeky half wrote:
Hey Sven, I do remember that. Many of the tikis at KT are reminiscent of tikis in that picture. I wonder if Milan Guanko was the original supplier....

...But I don't want to hijack my own thread so back to Ernie.

Yes, and I'm sorry for harping on it, it's just that I saw that one TODAY on page 15 of the new Tiki Magazine! It's the one with the most horribly clownish paint job ever(!), Milan would drop dead again would he see it. I'm glad the Tiki Farm mug based on it does not reflect that color scheme...

OK, I'll shut up about it now, back to Ernie!

I am sure you asked, but does he have any photos of his gigs that show interesting interiors/exteriors of Tiki bars?

Didn't he perform on Hawaiian Eye once?..or for the cast, at a party..? I seem to remember something like that...damn' I don't have my archive here...gotta ask Kevin.
When you talk to Ernie next, ask him!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-08-03 12:14 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 11:57 am   Permalink

I'd go down there if that place had a GARAGE SALE...I'll be the has some KILLER mementos. Guys like that don't know how GREAT they had it...I'm sure he played some RIDICULOUS dives in the day...

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 1:49 pm   Permalink

Ernie is hosting his annual luau at Menehune Village on September 30th. You can purchase tickets through his keyboard player, Larry Armstrong. His cell phone number is (520) 490-3279. Ernie said that Elvis will definitely be in attendance.

I have posted pics from Ernies show at the Kon Tiki in the events forum
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20471&forum=4&9

FYI, the cost of the tickets include food, but it is byomt.

Hope to see you there!

cheeky half

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-14 2:27 pm   Permalink

Cheeky Half ~ Mucho Mahalo for taking the time to post your pics. Please keep us posted on all upcoming events. Soccer Tiki and I can't wait to visit Tucson again.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Girlwerks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-19 11:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-02 21:36, KING KUKULELE wrote:
Ernie Menehune Rocks! I love that guy. I found Waikiki Jackpot about ten years ago (in Southern California) and I was totally caught off guard when I read it was produced in Phoenix AZ! That's where my family is from, and hearing that he is still playing is great news. Ernie was one of the first influences on me and a great inspiration. Long Live Ernie Menehune!!

I am just "Blown Away" by this thread!
Ernie Menehune was always known to me as "Uncle Ernie". My Dad played lead guitar with him for years.
My Dad was also a member of the Polynesian Society and played at and attended every Luau at the Latitude 20.. with my Mom. As a kid growing up I never could figure out why there was always strange food items in our fridge- Lomi Lomi Salmon, Poi.. Kalua Pig.. Jeepers.. Rattan furniture, grass mats, tiki gods everywhere.. and those haunting memories of my Dad singing to me as he played his guitar.. Princess Pupule, and the Cockeyed Mayor of Kaunakakai.
I haven't seen Ernie in years.. and remember the "Twins" very well.. I am uploading some photos for you all, if I can figure it out.. and I plan on getting in touch with "Uncle Ernie" and hopefully coming into town for the big Luau!
My Dad also played with Sam Kaapuni and the Polynesians. as well as Joe Keawe.. I have photos .. plenty of photos to share.
Please feel free to get in touch with me if I can answer any questions or offer anything of value.
The photos you see Ernie no stage singing with my Dad in the background ( on the left) playing guitar and Ernie with Joe Keawe and my Dad holding up the MORE sign. Ernie getting an award of some kind.. I forget for what...? Also Ernie and Joe singing together. More to come.

Mahalo!

View Profile of Girlwerks Send a personal message to Girlwerks  Email Girlwerks Goto the website of Girlwerks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Girlwerks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-20 12:40 am   Permalink

ok here are some more photos for you-

Ernie and the "girls"

Ernie and his band- all photos taken at the Latitude 20

The girls

View Profile of Girlwerks Send a personal message to Girlwerks  Email Girlwerks Goto the website of Girlwerks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Girlwerks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-20 12:46 am   Permalink

Here is another shot of the "Twins"

Girlwerks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-20 01:09 am   Permalink

and as a added bonus feature-

Here is a shot of my Dad, then in the Air Force at some fabulous tiki bar bar with a few people.. one to his left non other than Al McIntire.

cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-20 08:37 am   Permalink

Aloha Girlwerks, welcome aboard. Those are great pictures! Up until now we've only had his record covers to document his early career. How did your dad and Ernie meet?

I'm so glad that you will have a chance to see Ernie again and share this with him as well.

cheeky half

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-21 03:50 am   Permalink

WOW!!!! This thread just keeps better and better!! Welcome to Tiki Central Girlwerks and thanks mucho for posting those wonderful pictures!! Hopefully I can attend Ernie's Luau as well. I think it would be a blast!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Girlwerks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-23 10:10 pm   Permalink

Thank you all for the fabulous Welcome! I am glad to be here and to be able to contribute some of my history ...

My Dad met Ernie through the Polynesian Society and Joe Keawe.. I just all of a sudden remember him coming into our lives.. Just also dug out an old LP of his where he signed it to my Mom.. will scan it in for you all to see.
Also as I go, am finding some other pretty great treasures ...
I grew up in the '60s.. so you can imagine. My Dad was an ex Cowboy actor turned Cop.. and played guitar with a Hawaiian band.
What did I know..

cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-24 08:15 am   Permalink

Hey Girlwerks, do you know if your dad played guitar on any of Ernie's records?

cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 5:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks for letting us use your photographs girlwerks! We've built a small Ernie shrine here http://www.velvetglass.com/erniemenehune/erniemain.html You can hear a couple of his old songs too.

cheeky half

[ This Message was edited by: cheeky half 2006-08-28 17:57 ]

Girlwerks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-12 8:09 pm   Permalink

I am honored and thrilled to bits that you used my photos!!

LOVE what you did!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation