FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Eli Hedley Daughters' Books and Photos signing
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Eli Hedley Daughters' Books and Photos signing
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-24 09:22 am   Permalink

Here's the article:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Published Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:13 PM PDT

Family tribute to a tiki father
Book signing to be held in honor of 'The Original Beachcomber'
By Kelly Strodl

Ever since they were little girls, Marilyn, Bungy and Ba Hedley have been scouring beaches for little things left behind that could be transformed into treasures. They learned this love from their father, Eli Hedley, the man named by the Wall Street Journal as "The Original Beachcomber."

The San Pedro resident had quite an impressive resume by the time he died in 1981, having worked in Hollywood as a set designer and decorated hotels, bars and entire apartment complexes in his tiki style. Hedley was also responsible for part of the tiki look within Disneyland, where he ran "The Island Trade Store" gift shop in Adventureland for about a decade.

Hedley's masterpiece, though, has always been considered the family home built out of driftwood at White Point in San Pedro. Now a state park, the house stood for years as a monument to the family's love for the washed up treasures of the ocean.

On Sunday, the famous tiki master's daughters will be at Bamboo Ben's tiki shop in Huntington Beach to sign books and memorabilia from the beachcombing days.

The sisters will be signing copies of "Eli Hedley Beachcomber, the Original 1943 Catalog," "View from the Top of the Mast" and "How Daddy Became a Beachcomber" at the shop owned by Huntington Beach resident Bamboo Ben , Ba Hedley's son.

"It's neat how the whole Polynesian pop business is coming back again," Bamboo Ben said of his business building tiki bars.

His aunts are equally proud of the third-generation tiki aficionado.

"We're really proud of Bamboo Ben taking after Dad," Marilyn Hedley said of her nephew.

Marilyn is the author of "How Daddy became a Beachcomber," which was first published in 1947 and illustrated by the Hedley's oldest sister, Flo Ann Hedley, who died last year.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 3:43 pm   Permalink

Is this happening for sure????I'd like to go????yes????

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 4:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-26 15:43, hiltiki wrote:
Is this happening for sure????I'd like to go????yes????

I know that I'll be there!!! See you tomorrow!!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 7:16 pm   Permalink

Bring chairs if you want to hang out for the day.

We get nice sun from noon-ish on.

We have some chairs but they will be reserverd for the elders.

Might want to park next door at Wallgreens.

Also, we'll have ice cold virgin Hawaiian Punch,( you make the call. and some finger foodz.....

Should be a good time. Lot's o Tiki and Pre Tiki History.

Aloooooha!!!

Da Boo's

p.s. Bring camera's. Bring ukes. I'm sure Cray Al will be bringing his NUTZ !!!

It'z all Goooood!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 11:26 am   Permalink

Ben,

I hope things are going well today, tell Bungy and the ladies I send my regards. It was great meeting them all last weekend in San P. Love the books!

Met up with some TC'rs at Lee's Hawaian Islander in Lyndhurst, NJ last night for dinner. It is a very old school Polynesian/ Chineese joint, you'd love the interior: bamboo, 2 story rock wall with two falls, a giant outrigger suspended above the main dining room, and smaller cascading rock wall behind the main bar. Great bunch of older gentlemen run the place, next time your back east you need to check it out.

Enjoy the day out there and have fune next month in the UK.

Matt

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 4:34 pm   Permalink

Bungy, it was so nice meeting you in person and I look forward to reading your book. And nice meeting the rest of the family, you guys are all so much fun.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 4:51 pm   Permalink

We just got back from Bamboo Ben's....

We finally got to meet the lovely Hedley ladies.

Krustiki brought his new skateboard, and shared it with his buddies Dr. Z and Crazy Al.

Leroy from Oceanic Arts showed up to scope out the competition, and sample the cheese.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 8:42 pm   Permalink

It was great meeting the Hedley family. I cant wait to get started reading all the books I purchased. Ben you have a great and interesting family. It was real nice to finally get to meet Bungy and everybody else in person. Sorry we couldn't stay longer but we had other engagements today!!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 9:11 pm   Permalink

I am so terribly disappointed to have missed this. I was going to stop by on our way out of town on a camping trip up north. But lame ass DawnTiki seems to have developed a nasty head cold and didn't get to do nuth-un fun today. Unless you consider blowing your nose raw, coughing till your throat feels like you've swallowed buckets and buckets of broken glass fun, then I had a loads of it!
I'm so bummed I missed this...a-a-a-CHOOO!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-27 10:22 pm   Permalink

What a wonderful family. GROG met the Hedley sisters last weekend and really enjoyed getting to see them again. They said they really enjoy the Bamboo Ben comic and said GROG was like family now, and that GROG is an honorary BEACHCOMBER.
WOW! How much of an honor is that?!!!

Along with that honor, GROG also picked up an awesome dartboard cabinet and custom framed menu from Bamboo Ben, and Crazy Al mug of tiki #2 along with a pendant.It was like Christmas for GROG today.It was really neat seeing Leroy Smaltz, Bamboo Ben, and Crazy Al all together. What an amazing trio of Tiki talent all together in one spot.

Thanks Al and Ben, and great seeing you again, Bungy, Ba, and
Marylin.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 07:01 am   Permalink

Bungy,

Finished the book this weekend. What a wonderful story. Perfect ending! I would love to hear more about the Disney days and the "last" sailing voyage with your husband and children! I think there's material for a least two more books!

Thank you for the wonderful experience. View from the Top of the Mast and How Daddy Became a Beachcomber are now two of my favorite books. Kudos to you and Mare!

Scott

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 07:48 am   Permalink

Mooohaloos to all!!!

Twas a fun Sunday at the hut.

Very honored to have Leroy and Vivian stop by.

And, to host a gathering of my Aunts and Mom ( who's b-day was yesterday too!).

Moooohaloos to all again!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 07:56 am   Permalink

I didn't get to go.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-29 9:25 pm   Permalink

Ben,
It sounds like it was loads of fun for all!!! WooHooWahine and
I are so bummed we missed it!!! We're just glad we were able to meet your aunts and mom the weekend before!!! (I think Aunt Bungy even woohoo'ed!!!!!!!!!!!!!) What nice (and fun) ladies!!! Almost done with all 3 books! Any old repro pictures left?

[ This Message was edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-08-29 21:26 ]

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bungy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-03 3:06 pm   Permalink

What great FUN the California trip was!!! (I live in Texas!) And all you Tiki afficionadoas were wonderful!! My gripe is.. that I wans't asked if I wanted to try out the skate board!! Gee whiz!

To ookoolady (spelling!): How about figuring out keys to "When its Round-Up time in Texas??? I've made up a Hawaiian song for it complte with yodeling.. we can do a duet the next time we see each ohter. Keep up your repertiore.. it's great!
Here's to FUN!!! Auntie Bungy

View Profile of bungy Send a personal message to bungy  Email bungy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation