[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Microcosms
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Microcosms
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-06 11:04 am   Permalink

I don't carve or build or paint, but I have this thing (being German) for miniature worlds and models. That's why one of my favorite concepts of classic Tiki Bars are 3D dioramas, like sunset beaches with miniature volcanoes and native villages.

At home, I do not even have a Tiki bar per se, I just have my collections concentrated in several spots, and basically there is no empty shelf or wall space left in the house. In presenting my artifacts, I sometimes like to create little Tiki environs.

Maybe others could share their Tiki microcosms here too, here are my three examples:
(I also hope this will prove that I am not just a stuffy ol' purist! )

1st, below: On top off my kitchen sink, a fake aquarium (meaning no real fish in it)

2nd, below: On my bathroom window, a female action figure, embellished by a Marquesan Tiki (by Mai Kai from Munich) and a little Japanese mummy carving

3rd, below: My favorite mini A-frame environment

Which all really proves that Tiki is for people who don't wanna grow up....

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-08-06 11:29 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-06 11:09 am   Permalink

Excellent and very creative!
Tiny little environs bode well in tiki environments, often being packed with items that take some exploring to discover, just like a well cluttered tiki bar.

I remember a post about candles that housed tiny dioramas.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-06 12:16 pm   Permalink

I have this thing (being German) for miniature worlds and models. Is that what German's do. Never heard that. I'm 1/4 German but think its my strongest pull. My first mug collection was beer steins. Have you ever heard of Frankenmuth in Michigan.
http://www.frankenmuth.org/

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-06 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-06 12:16, teaKEY wrote:
I have this thing (being German) for miniature worlds and models. Is that what German's do. Never heard that. I'm 1/4 German but think its my strongest pull. My first mug collection was beer steins. Have you ever heard of Frankenmuth in Michigan.
http://www.frankenmuth.org/

Hey teaKey - I grew up hearing about Frankenmuth all of my life (I grew up in Lincoln Park, just south of Detroit), but I never actually went there. I always heard that if you like fried chicken and Christmas stores, then it is the place to go! Nice to know that you are from my old stomping grounds....

www.samgambino.com

[ This Message was edited by: sam gambino 2006-08-06 13:48 ]

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-06 7:03 pm   Permalink

I just moved all my tiki stuff out of the house and into my carving studio a couple of weeks ago, and set up little groups of objects wherever I could fit them. This is my favourite - 3 souvenir Moai with some pebbles, glass and smokey quartz:

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 04:49 am   Permalink

Righteous! And if now you would hide a small, low wattage lightbulb behind the crystal, it would glow, and eminate light from below on the Moais....ouuuh!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 6:53 pm   Permalink

I am the owner of the tiki candle mentioned above, with the miniature hula diorama at the base. Humuhumu took some great pictures of this, and they can be found on this thread.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12908&forum=5&hilite=candle

I have also created this miniature scenario....

Vern

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev 2006-08-07 20:50 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 7:12 pm   Permalink

there is no more amazing miniature world than Roadside America.

http://www.roadsideamericainc.com/

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/PASHAroad.html

..sbim

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-08 01:28 am   Permalink

Vern, now THERE are some happy Tikis! And those cake decorations natives in the candle are among my favorite diorama inhabitants. I used them for my early Kon-Tiki display. I wish I would be home to re-photograph it, I only have the link to my ANCIENT website, which I am sure most are familiar with, but just for reference:

http://www.bookoftiki.com/012.html

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-08 01:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-07 19:12, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
there is no more amazing miniature world than Roadside America.

Very cool. My earlier remark about being German was in reference to the fact that they are absolutely nuts when it comes to model train sets. Here's a place in my hometown:

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de/data/cms/en/200/

You can see pictures here (if you have the plug in) or in their gallery:

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de/data/cms/en/530/

But back to Tiki dioramas: The pinnacle of all must be the island at the FRY's Electronic store in Manhatten Beach. Once I tried to take pictures of it, but I got shushed away, did anybody else have more luck? It WAS amazing when it was new, now it's a little run down, but still grand.

kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-10 01:36 am   Permalink

SVEN
dear dear dear that third pic is a DOOOZE

- like a third chichi

i hope you are well - i was at the tiki tonight

ALOHA!
MT

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-10 09:52 am   Permalink

Hi Bigbrotiki, so good to hear from you. Dan loves to make his villages of small tiki items. I still do not know how to do photos on TC, one day someone will visit us and show me how, hint, hint. Meanwhile if anyone would like to see a danlovestiki village just send me your email address and I'll email you some photos. He has made ten unique tiki habitates. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-11 02:49 am   Permalink

Kool

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-05 3:20 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 9:19 pm   Permalink

I thought this thread was neat and just before what's-his-name (I kid!!!) started it I had just done up my pal's aquarium. Today I finally got a cell phone snap of it. The mat backin' is actually wrappin' paper with a photo print of palm mat on it. It's also taped (painters tape) to the front of the aquarium to "trim" it out. Paper cut tiki faces on the backin'. Dollar Tree tikis on either side. Some fake ferns. I wanted the aquarium "set" to look grand and epic. Like some big aquarium at a dream Tiki joint.

I'm surprised these little environments ain't more popular among the likes of us as yuh can make a fantasy come to life. And with a coupla Mai Tais in yuh and yer head sideways on the counter...It's the next best thing to bein' there!

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation