FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-06 3:24 pm   Permalink

Thrift stores are such a bonanza of treasures masquerading as trash. (The Dollar Tree chain also has loads and loads of stuff that can be used as a part of tiki creation...but that's a different topic). My wife and I go to one thrift store where you kind of need to bathe after the fact (though that can be fun if my wife is into conserving water that day, but I digress), but there are treasures there that we have fumigated, cleansed, and have put in our midcentury home. What is especially wonderful about thrift stores is that what you are likely to find vis a vis tiki stuff is probably also pretty period correct in many cases.

MZOLTARP
http://TelstarLounge.blogspot.com

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T1K1 LEE
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-06 9:23 pm   Permalink

Here is a $4.00 dollar project. Basket lamps. I am sure that I am not the first to do this but I get to use up a lot of colored Christmas light that I have been storing ever since we went to white light about five years ago.

First you need one string of light, two baskets, a glue gun, wire ties and swag lamp chain.

I remove all blue and green lights and replace them with yellow pink or red lights if you don't have white

Now stuff the lights around the inside of the basket bottom and put some hot glue
on the wires that touch the basket between the lights.Continue this going around in a circle on the inside of the basket. Place a piece of electricians tape over the end plug if your strand has one

When you get some of the lights done, let the glue cool and attach the chain to the basket lid by punching a hole in the lid. Separate the chain with pliers, poke through the hole and reattach

Finish gluing the lights around until the reach the rim of the basket. Stuff the rest of the strand of lights into the center

Now cut the plug and slip the wire through the lid.

Now Place basket on lid and trace outline for reference while attaching basket to lid with wire ties. I use the old paper ones, stripping off the paper and just leaving the bare wire.

Extend and reattach plug with extra wire and wire butt connectors.

Now plug it in and pray for no smoke ,sparks or fire.

Total cost.....Four dollars

The lights are a strand of fifty, the basket had a plastic lining in it for use with a plant but I removed it. The other one is a lid from some other basket. The fun about this is you can mix and match baskets and lids and make very interesting combinations

[ This Message was edited by: T1K1 LEE 2007-06-06 21:31 ]

View Profile of T1K1 LEE Send a personal message to T1K1 LEE  Email T1K1 LEE Goto the website of T1K1 LEE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-06 10:34 pm   Permalink

Cool! There are great baskets like that at the Dollar Tree Store! I think I have everything else lying around the house.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-07 11:38 am   Permalink

Here are a couple of budget projects I just completed. The first is the "rock wall" behind the fountain:

I started by grouting some rocks from our backyard onto a piece of MDF, but it looked too much like a mosaic, so I wadded up some newspapers and papier mached them over them, sprayed it all with black spray paint (on sale this week for $2.50 a can at A.C. Moore), then Fleck Stone, then sealer.

I also hit this party store tiki with the Fleck Stone:

The lightweight plastic, which I would normally despise, is a great thing in this case, because I could just wire it to the screen on our door. I'd like to find a way to add some red light behind it that doesn't require a cord. Do they make solar lights in red, I wonder? I could probably just add some sheer red fabric over a solar bulb.

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-23 2:59 pm   Permalink

Hey Pappy! Thanks for the Building 19 tip!!!

For 9 Bucks I got a cool effect behind my outdoor Granite Tiki Bar!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-23 5:18 pm   Permalink

Looks beautiful, Granite. Problem with shopping at Building 19 is you start believing appliances should be ten bucks, pants should be five bucks, books should be a dollar EVERYWHERE! Then you feel guilty if you buy something at full price somewhere.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 09:48 am   Permalink

Many brilliant ideas. I love the rock wall and I may have to replicate it!!

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 11:57 pm   Permalink

Aloha fellow budgeteers!

A little while ago, I sent a note to Tiki Magazine sugesting that they create a section for this subject. If any of you feel similar, dropping them a note might help to make that happen.

Just a thought.

Mahalo!

-Eleio

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 07:33 am   Permalink

Our backyard tiki fusion project is coming along. This is the first layer: reclaiming an ugly slab of concrete and hiding an ugly fence for built-in RV parking that we never used.

Polyamnesia is a play on Polynesia and amnesia

Ugly shed gets a make over

Our daughter's tiki hut playhouse gets relocated

Seating areas in place

A lengthwise view

Next? We need a pergola, water mist system, and plants (major project)

For now the insane sun and heat can pound this during the say and we can now enjoy it in the evening.

PS we have tons of tiki masks etc. that would age quickly in the sun, but they are in line to be diisplayed.

ivanchan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 12:53 pm   Permalink

Tikified is beautified! That's awesome what you did!

That's tough on the masks, that you have to be careful about them being in the sun--will you be displaying them under leafy plants once that part of the project is off and running? I might suggest a UV blocking varnish, but I don't know if you'd want to put that on art!

Take care,

I.

Ivan Chan Studio: Invite Beauty
http://ivanchan.com

View Profile of ivanchan Send a personal message to ivanchan  Goto the website of ivanchan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-13 07:01 am   Permalink

In Bakersfield we will need a pergola to provide shade, because plants burn in the sun. With the UV screen netting over the top of the pergola, planting in large pots is possible. Onward and upward...

rwhgeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-28 2:05 pm   Permalink

Ikea mirror: $2
Target bamboo placemat: $1
Dollar Store tiki guy: $1
Plastic flower found in the house: $0
Tiki pencil toppers: $0 (gift)
Only tiki mirror that looks exactly like this: priceless

View Profile of rwhgeek Send a personal message to rwhgeek  Email rwhgeek Goto the website of rwhgeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billbot
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-28 7:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Dollar Store tiki guy: $1

I've been on the lookout for tiki statuary at dollar stores ever since I found some at my local dollar tree about a year ago. Has anyone found them there recently? If so, which stores?
Thanks!

View Profile of Billbot Send a personal message to Billbot  Email Billbot Goto the website of Billbot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 9:52 pm   Permalink

Nice mirror!!! I just know I'm gonna rip that idea off!!!

I've been checking all season, and Dollar Tree just didn't have those Tikis this year!

Bummed me out!

mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-29 4:20 pm   Permalink

The Dollar Tree also had some great plastic tki mugs that are ideal for larger parties. Who wants to use his actual tiki mugs when the people you invite are not all tiki nuts but are willing to pretend for an afternoon at a tiki lite party? We had 2 dozen plastic mugs for just such ocasions and lost all but one four years ago Christmas Day. Bakersfield got hit with torrential rain and what seemed like gale-force winds. My tiki bar that was free standing on the side of the house went end over end through the back yard. My wife and I cleaned up the debris and dragged the very damaged tiki bar under the covered patio and picked up all the plastic mugs that were not picked up by the wind and careening through the neighborhood. Fifteen minutes later the tiki bar somehow moved out from under the overhang of the house went end over end through the back yard yet again. More plastic tiki mugs were sucked into the vortex of doom known as my cul de sac, but the tiki bar was now total trash and not worth repairing. Suppose the tiki gods were outraged at the notion of plastic mugs?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation