FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 10:40 am   Permalink

thankns for the info... got the stuff and started today... I'll post some pics. Made one major mistake... forgot to spray the mold with Pam.... should be interesting to see how big of a problem that will be when it comes time to remove it

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 1:51 pm   Permalink

Here's some progress pics from today...

First made the box with some 1 x 8s, added some construction sand.

then put the vaccuum mold in and built the sand around it

Then mixed up the stuff...1 pt. portland cement, 1 1/2 vermiculite, and 1 1/2 peat moss. Added some liquid red coloring and added to the mold (forgot to spray with pam or add vaseline )

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-05 06:32 am   Permalink

Ok... two days later. The tiki came out of the mold easy enough. Here's some pics. It looks really brown, and the vermiculite os kind of obvious.

These pics are kind of cruddy... took em too early in the morning. I'll take better ones. I'd like to figure out what I did wrong.

Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-05 10:01 am   Permalink

Glass float-style lights made from close-out christmas lights and craft store decorative netting. Posted earlier in another thread, but thought I'd put it here as well, for the budget-minded.

Covered the cord with twine and used split bamboo as a cover.

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-05 10:38 am   Permalink

Great idea!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-05 7:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-05 10:38, pappythesailor wrote:
Great idea!

Ditto - they look really cool

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-06 09:41 am   Permalink

While I'm at it - some "pirate chest" speakers a friend built for us using home decor chests:

He installed a gasket between the lid to improve the sound, and quick-connects on the back for the speaker wires.

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-06 1:58 pm   Permalink

Tiki Zen - I REALLY like the float lights you created - who woulda thunk it?!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Musubi Mom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-08 11:55 am   Permalink

Hi Dave, The color of your tiki will change as it dries out. It probably wont be red though. Ive had better luck with the powder colors. Vermculite comes in different sizes. Fine, Medium and Coarse. You might like the fine grade better. When you fill your mold you need to smush and pat the cement into all the nooks and crannies. If you pat the cement while filling the mold the vermculite will float up and away from the surface of the tiki which is the bottom when you are filling it. Dont give up, I know you have more cement and the tikis make great Christmas presents.

Musubi Mom

View Profile of Musubi Mom Send a personal message to Musubi Mom  Email Musubi Mom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 3:25 pm   Permalink

Aloha.... for those of you in desperate need of Tiki bar art, I picked up this cool FREE poster from the NH State Liquor store. Sailor Jerry spiced Rum is giving them away - just tear 'em off the cardboard point of purchase display.. and its yours. It would look quite nice in a wood frame.
It's 16" x 20". I assume its a promotion, wherever Sailor Jerry spiced Rum is sold, but definitely aavailable at the New Hampshire State Liquor stores...FREE! Now, that fits the budget!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 7:39 pm   Permalink

Killer poster, and I just finished the last of my Sailor Jerry tonight. Even more reason to go to the ABC store tomorrow.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 8:12 pm   Permalink

Dang. I was just there last week... Good score, though.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 10:29 pm   Permalink

http://www.sailorjerry.com/d/desktop3_dec07.jpg

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 12:56 pm   Permalink

It rained here all weekend, and I wanted a tiki fix.

I made these out of old shampoo bottles. The one on the left is a totem made up of various faces I had drawn and the right one is a shag tiki with a fez hat.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-15 10:17 pm   Permalink

I had a couple of old broken ukes lying around, a whole bunch of empty cigar boxes, a dollar store spring mounted bobbing hula girl, a glue gun, a dremmel, and a nice warm Spring day out in the backyard to work. Here's what I came up with, and it plays better than a few of the crappy ukes I've got lying around here!

She dances while I play!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation