FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Tiki-On-A-Budget
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki-On-A-Budget
LavaLounger
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-28 11:39 am   Permalink

In the darkest hour of my tiki lunacy, I bought a cheap wall phone at WallyWorld and disassembled it, painted it with Krylon (Plastic paint), then did some detailed tiki painting with regular craft paints, re-assembled and TA DAH, a tiki phone in the bar. The jack was already there, so had to do something with it!

So my artwork is lousy compared to some of the super talent on this site, but the phone works, and it's dimly lit in my bar so you can't really tell it's 3rd grade art skills. BAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

LavaLounger,
Making a toll call

View Profile of LavaLounger Send a personal message to LavaLounger  Goto the website of LavaLounger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
snackbar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 12:33 pm   Permalink

Not quite finished but:

€4,95 Photo box from Ikea
€7,00 Hawaiian Fertility God
€3,90 flaming light bulbs
€0,00 leftover leopard skin
€0,00 leftover bamboo
€0,00 leftover wood scraps
€0,00 old plastic plant that I would have trashed anyway
_____
€15,85

lilyscarlet.com

View Profile of snackbar Send a personal message to snackbar  Goto the website of snackbar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 2:17 pm   Permalink

After months lying dormant, this thread has picked up this week.

Nice stuff all around!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 01:42 am   Permalink

I've been out of circulation for a while and was pleasantly surprised to see so many contributions since last I visited.

Amazing how much tiki ingenuity is out there.

-Eleio

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 01:57 am   Permalink

Great looking at the last 2 pieces. I'd recommend hitting the phone with a few light coats of gloss if you didn't already. Sweet light box too!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 06:10 am   Permalink

LavaLounger, cool idea for the phone. You could take it a step further & replace the white cord with a green cord & attach a few tropical looking leaves to the "vine".

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 07:05 am   Permalink

Big Lots has great sea grass mats (roughly 2 1/2 feet x 6 feet) for $1.00. They are great for covering walls, fences, plastic tool sheds, etc.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 07:52 am   Permalink

I think I may have to go spend $20 at big lots to decorate the ceiling at Halι Frostiki.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 07:57 am   Permalink

Ooh, I hope our Big Lots has the mats!

I'm also really glad to see this thread revived. I'm in the midst of making a papier mache "rock wall" to go behind our tiki room's water feature and am planning to hit a colored plastic tiki with Krylon Fusion paint very soon.

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 08:00 am   Permalink

BTW, I love the phone and shadow box! I have zero drawing skill, but I'm sorely tempted to try that phone...

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-03 4:43 pm   Permalink

Nothing says "budget" like shopping at that New England icon, Building 19 (sorry everybody from far-away).

They've got these bamboo doorway divider thingies for THREE BUCKS! (36"x72") Get 'em while they last.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-03 8:37 pm   Permalink

Woo Hoo! I'll be there tomorrow!!!!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-04 12:38 am   Permalink

I found these bamboo coasters in a thrift store - 50c each They only had 2, would have bought more if they had more.

Bottom

5 minutes and a bit of tape later, and I have a perfect frame for my Finkdaddy Pendant (L) and my Alientiki pendant (r). The best part is that I can easily take off either pendant and wear it, and put it back quite easy. The bamboo ends are thick enough that they will self stand upright, but the eventual plan is to hang them, but in a rental so no hanging new hooks

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
insanetikiers
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-05 03:59 am   Permalink

Now that's awesome!

View Profile of insanetikiers Send a personal message to insanetikiers  Email insanetikiers     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-06 3:02 pm   Permalink

Nice "frame job" Hewey! I've done something similar with those bamboo pieces. Oh and sweet bike!
ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation