FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Newbie Collector Invasion?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Newbie Collector Invasion?
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 2:43 pm   Permalink

well said, tikicat, and welcome aboard!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 3:10 pm   Permalink

Yep, I agree Tikicat. Well said.

I will add that the average time for someone to hold onto and "antique" is Five years. If it doesn't become an Heirloom, it returns to the open market. That was some advice I received from an old Professor years ago. I tend to think its true.

As for changing user names on ebay, I refer to that technique as "going under cover." Covert actions are required when you might have someone on your tail.

Just my Opinion.

Swamp

View Profile of Swamp Tiki Send a personal message to Swamp Tiki  Email Swamp Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicat67
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-30 08:33 am   Permalink

Thanks, Kingstiedye and Swamp Tiki.

=^..^=

View Profile of tikicat67 Send a personal message to tikicat67  Email tikicat67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 09:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-09 15:04, Paipo wrote:
The suffering bastard is probably my absolute favourite design of all the classic mugs, and I've been watching those auctions with despair. With the prices they go for (plus air + packing to NZ, usually another $20 or more), I think I'll just keep spending my tiki budget on carvings and souvenir pieces from the islands (which are fairly plentiful here).

Tiki Farm's reproduction of the suffering bastard is faithful and a hell of a lot cheaper than the original. I think the mugs may now be sold out, but a decanter is just $14.95. Living in the UK, I feel your pain regarding postage charges, but usually ask anyone sending stuff from the US to send it surface letter rate. This 'letter' can be a package 12"x12"x12" and costs usually costs $6-10. Takes a while, but I've yet to lose a package that way.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 12:57 pm   Permalink

I have a bunch of nostalgia-based interests and often can find an internet community where it they are celebrated. Classic Mustangs, vintage hi fi, vinyl records, etc.

Each one including Tiki Central has the same two contradictory themes:

1) Why did it [insert subject here] die out? What happened? Why is it not popular anymore? How do we keep it alive? Can we resurrect it? Would people like it again? Nobody appreciates the collectibles! SPREAD THE WORD BEFORE IT DIES OUT!!!!!

Versus

2) Where did all these new [insert subject again] fans come from? How did it happen? Why is it so damn popular now? How do we keep it a secret? Can we squelch this resurgence? Will it hopefully fade to cult status again? Everybody is buying up the collectibles! STOP TALKING ABOUT IT BEFORE IT BECOMES TOO POPULAR!!!!!!

Freshman year of college redux.

[ This Message was edited by: JackLord 2006-09-01 12:58 ]

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 4:52 pm   Permalink

This retro craze is really taking hold. I can see why though, its really alot of fun. My personal barometer is the number of high end interiors I have been designing lately. Five years ago nobody (and I mean nobody) was ripping out their existing interiors to make way for Eames tables and chairs, atomic light fixtures, wall clocks, and tiki gods. It really is kind of wierd. Not the style, but the fact that the straight laced hipster wanna-be's with the corner office and deep pockets are wanting their freedom again and are acting out by "getting wild." They are willing to spend their dough and prices just rise to the occasion. Hell, I'm not complaining, they are creating a new market. There is a girl on ooga mooga that is reaping profits from it, look at the prices she is putting on here mugs.

Look, as I sit here and look out at the horizon and see middle age fast approaching and then turn and look in the mirror I can honestly say that I have remained fairly constant over the years (I can't beleive that the old chin beard is starting to turn gray). I've been here all along and am just sitting back and watching the pendelum swing back in this direction. The bottom line is that I think it is great. It brings new revenue to guys that work hard to perfect their art, and paves the way for another adventure in this thing we call life. It tends to keep people in touch with where they have been and perhaps where they are going. I'll encourage this wild retro phase and all of its interests, have fun with it, and hopefully gain a little from it on the side. Heck, a few more of these design jobs and I'll be ready to redesign my place...perhaps I'll go with wigwam modern.

( I don't know what causes these rants???...)

Keep the Rum flowing..

Swamp

View Profile of Swamp Tiki Send a personal message to Swamp Tiki  Email Swamp Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZombieLee

Posted: 2006-09-09 08:15 am   Permalink

I guess I'd fall into this category as I've only been collecting for about a year and a half. Up here in northwestern Canada there are no tiki retailers to be found and our thrift shops aren't exactly brimming with tiki mugs (of the 110 listed in my OM collection, only 2 have come from thrift shops) so Ebay is just about the only way to find anything remotely vintage.

I tend to be somewhat patient and usually buy my mugs for less than the average going rates as I've noticed that a high price for one mug often leads to a glut of them over the next several weeks and the prices diminish. That being said, I'm fortunate to have deep enough pockets that I can afford to overspend on a mug if it's one that I really want for my collection.

Does that make me an "idiot"?

View Profile of ZombieLee Send a personal message to ZombieLee  Email ZombieLee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-09 09:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]That being said, I'm fortunate to have deep enough pockets that I can afford to overspend on a mug if it's one that I really want for my collection.

Does that make me an "idiot"?

NO!!

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-09 3:42 pm   Permalink

..i just want to say, that any and all newbies are more than welcome to throw piles of money at any of my auctions, anytime they like......if you feel a certain item is worth it, then i, for one, encourage you spend as much as you see fit in order to see that item gracing the shelves of your tiki room......do not be discouraged by other bidders!! just keep bidding higher and that item is gonna be in your sweaty little hands before you know it!!!... thank you.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-09 4:33 pm   Permalink

my hands aren't sweaty!

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-13 2:53 pm   Permalink

Thats because all that green paper absorbs the moisture!! LOL ..Luv ya King. FreddieB

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation