FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Archeology Tahitian Terrace Disneyland- Image Heavy
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Archeology Tahitian Terrace Disneyland- Image Heavy
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 12:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Tangeroa, is that YOU in the photo (in front of the Tahitian Terrace)? Did you cook? You look way familiar!!

Nope! I'm about as lilly white as they come...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 2:08 pm   Permalink

Gosh that all looks so cool.
You know whats sad?
I live in Anaheim about 2 miles from Disneyland.
Have been there Hundreds of times,
and I never ate or saw a show there.
What a crime, somebody lock me up now.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 7:47 pm   Permalink

As promised after a short delay, this is the training manual that was given to the Tahitian Terrace employees in 1963. This manual describes all one would need to know to run a Polynesian restaurant that does not serve rum drinks! Actually it is a good manual espousing the customer service orientation at Disneyland even at this time. The manual is 16 pages long so this will be a fairly long post.

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 8:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks Matterhorn. Classic!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2006-08-25 8:13 pm   Permalink

Fantastic piece of paper there, Matterhorn! I love the photos throughout and the simplified manner of instruction. They just give the basic guidlines and ethics and leave a lot to the employees. They seem to think that the employees are fairly intelligent and can figure out the details. Hmmm. Novel idea.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-25 8:52 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 07:12 am   Permalink

Hey Unga- Nice caption!

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 09:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-25 19:47, Matterhorn1959 wrote:

Is that Humu dropping off an order?

Actually that is a good manual, have Martin whip up an appendium for Serving Rum-based Drinks and it'd be a solid blueprint for anyone opening a new Tiki Restaurant.

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-08-26 09:29 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-26 11:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-26 09:28, freddiefreelance wrote:

Is that Humu dropping off an order?

Speaking of "is that?"...I believe that's a very young "Indian" Aramaki on his first job at Disneyland, in that picture! Born and raised on Maui, Disneyland hired him away from the old Kono Hawaii Restaurant in Santa Ana to work at the Tahitian Terrace. He later went on to become the Executive Chef of all of Disneyland, and later an official "Disney Legend." For the whole story, see:

http://legends.disney.go.com/legends/detail?key=Hideo+Aramaki

Great scans! Thanks!

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 10:21 pm   Permalink

A good friend just sent me an issue of a Disneyland employee (okay...Cast Member) newsletter from 1991, that had a story about the Tahitian Terrace in it. The cover of the issue shows this tiki:

You can read there where it was located.

Just thought I'd share. Nothing in the rest of the article of tiki interest. It's mostly close-up photos of workers at the location, and a story about how they prepare and serve the food. Nothing on the stage show.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 6:22 pm   Permalink

Awesome archival material! I ate there as a kid back in the '60's, and it was a real disappointment when it was closed. These pics bring really bring back the fun...

At a friend's suggestion I'm reading "The Disney Way" right now, and the TT Manual pics are particularly fascinating. Mahalo nui nui for these very generous posts!

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Carolc

Posted: 2007-09-01 01:23 am   Permalink

Thanks to everyone who has posted such great images. I had the absolute pleasure of working there as a hostess from 1985-1987, and have such fond memories... I loved standing out in front of the restaurant and answering questions, even if I repeated myself thousands of times "5 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 7:15, 8:30 and 9:45". "The fresh fish of the day is Baked Mahi Mahi, and Grilled Ahi". "The nearest restroom? It's, er, over there behind that tree" <said with a grin> To be standing out there, listening to the guys finish their Jungle Cruise spiels, as well as the "Hi-ho, Hi-ho" coming from the exit door of the Tiki Room, and the sounds of Fantasy in the Sky... I always thought to myself, man, I'm getting paid for this? I never got tired of the "South Sea Island Magic" theme, hearing the singing, catching glimpses of the performers (was mostly too busy to watch) or hearing the servers yell out "Pele, I need a Pele!!". I wish I had taken some photos! I remember a coworker filming the show one day.. oh if I could only see that now...

Thanks for sharing the great items and stories... it brings it all back to me, as if it wasn't so long ago. What a great place - I was definitely sad to see it replaced!

View Profile of Carolc Send a personal message to Carolc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
closettiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-01 9:39 pm   Permalink

thanks for posting all the great photos...being a big fan of classic vintage tiki room...it was a joy going through them...

[ This Message was edited by: closettiki 2007-09-01 21:40 ]

View Profile of closettiki Send a personal message to closettiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-01 10:18 pm   Permalink

Wow....great images. I too was a frequent-flyer at Disneyland, but never ate in the Tahitian Terrace. As I remember, my parents (we would drive up for the day from San Diego) usually packed lunch and dinner in a cooler and we would go to the parking lot to eat....hmmmph. As my sister and I got older, we did break off from the parents for the day and go do our own thing....we always had a blast, but hit the burger places then.

If some restaurants now days would use those helpful customer service guidelines, they would be 5-star restaurants.

Thank goodness you saved all that ephemera....it is amazing!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-29 02:33 am   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwQVTlHyiyI
(vintage Tahitian Terrace show)

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation