FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events hooptylau 2006 -- the un-tiki tiki event --
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
hooptylau 2006 -- the un-tiki tiki event --
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 1:43 pm   Permalink

Well well well,
Another far out Hooptylau went off and was a wild and well planned good time for all. Drunken Hat, Tikicleen, JT and Cheryl have once again proved that it is about the people more than anything else. Special thanks to Scott and Colleen for asking me to create the art for their event, which they have always done with love and a lot of hard work on their part. You guys are the tiki's knees. It was real pleasure to finally meet Kingstyedye, Sandy and Moondog as well as having Paranoid and Tiki kate make the scene. It was a pleasure hangin' out and sharing laughs and fried chicken with the folks who were able to make it. Sadly lacking were Hooptylau regulars Unga, Hanford,The Jab, Mr Smiley, Martiki, Rebecca and Cousin Clem. I will post my pics when I get a chance.

Chongolio a.k.a Lil Manila

P.S. My gizzards still kinda hurts.

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 2:03 pm   Permalink

Wow, thanks to our gracious hosts. It was a wonderful weekend. Wow, the Ohana spirit lives on. DH and TC, thank you thank you thank you for your continued efforts in putting this event together. I'm so glad we got to go to OnLok Sams, Polardville (sp?) before demolition, the gay Tiki bar, and MINNIES. The best though was the Dark Marq! JT and Cheryl, LOVE your backyard. I covet it. Thanks for your hospitality and the great food. Humu, great captions on the pics.

Yeah we missed the regulars, so we stopped by FI on the way home to catch some of em. We shared our limited pictures with Martiki, BooLoo and Jab. They got to see the awesome Chongolio artwork and "special" visit by Cousin Clem.

See allya'all in two days. Maholo.

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 2:51 pm   Permalink

I want to throw in my thanks to the hosts Tikicleen, Drunken Hat, Jungle Trader, and Cheryl. Thanks to Chongolio for the cool artwork, and to Moondog for the CDs. I am in love with the Dark Marq and Jungle Trader's lush oasis (I just wanted to sleep in that chair with my feet in the pool).

The event was very fun: the train ride, the gay bar, and the crashing and stealing of IDs from the high school reunion. Congratulations to MaiTai for winning the ribbion for him being able to dress himself.

Scott, I don't think the Gas Siphon needs a name change.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 4:10 pm   Permalink

A HUGE Mahalo to everyone involved!! Miss D and I had a fab time, getting all hoopty and wasted with y'all. The addition of the Stockton stops were a blast - esp Pollardville.
Dark Marq and Jungle Trader's Outpost were better than ever!! Already looking forward to the next one. Hooptylau is definitely the most fun event of the year for us. Here's some of my fave pics:

Densie and I all 70'd out - looking quite out of place at Pollardville

It felt like we were still in San Francisco

Mai Tai gets attacked by Minnie's boar

Chongolio and I head to investigate

[ This Message was edited by: Conga Mike 2006-09-18 16:12 ]

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 9:12 pm   Permalink

Here are a few of my favorite pics off of my dang ol camera:

You can see the rest with captions at my blog
Barefoot Bloggin'

Enjoy,
Lil Manila

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 9:21 pm   Permalink

What a fun event, I thought of this song when I was reading through this thread:

Everybody Does it in Hawaiier.mp3 - Jimmie Rodgers With Joe Kaipo

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 9:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tune TW. And another Thanky to Tikicleen for the official Hooptylau CD. Here is the song list from it:

1. hawaiian cowboy ~ slim whitman
2. saddle tramp ~ marty robbins
3. hawaiian war chant ~ bob wills
4. rhumba boogie ~ ernest tubb & hank snow
5. hula rock ~ hank snow the singing ranger & his rainbow ranch boys
6. beyond the reef ~ santo & johnny
7. bop a hula ~ jimmy c. newman
8. hawaii's calling me ~ marty robbins
9. my little grass shack in kealekekua hawaii ~ teresa brewer
10.hilo march ~ hula hawaiians
11.geisha girl ~ hank locklin
12.pearly shells ~ slim whitman
13.lovely hula hands ~ junior brown
14.sweet leilani ~ jack de mello
15.my hula baby ~ cowboy copas
16.hawaiian bells ~ marty robbins
17.hula love ~ buddy knox
18.choo choo ch'boogie ~ bill haley
19.my isle of golden dreams ~ chet atkins & hank snow
20.everybody does it in hawaii ~ hank snow
21.hillbilly hula girl ~ junior brown
22.now is the hour (maori farewell song) ~ burl ives
23.anarchy in the uk ~ ukelele orchestra of great britain

Also thanks to Moondog for his CD and his bitchin' stickers

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-18 9:46 pm   Permalink

hmmm is this the isaac mizrahi version of reservoir dogs?

you decide!

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moondog426
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-19 05:02 am   Permalink

My printer went down so I could not print song titles. In case you are curious, here is the track listing.
1.topsy.joe bussi trio
2.the 59th street bridge song (feelin' groovy).harper's bizarre
3.sea of love.phil phillips
4.pipeline.the chantays
5.flip,flopandfly.big joe turner
6.misirlou.laurindo almeida and the bossa nova all-stars
7.three allley cats.roy hall
8.a new 10 gallon hat.sheriff tom owens and his cowboys
9.it aint right.gordon terry
10.alamo.the dave and deke combp
11.hi honey ho.daddy cool
12.corn picken'.james burton
13.michele.trailer park casanovas
14.rollin' stone.the fontaine sisters
15.theshakedown.lloyd glenn
16.depart from me..the hootowls
17.tuff.ace cannon
18.without a hitch.trailer park troubadors
19.pop a top.jim ed brown
20.green julian.sir julian
21.the tiki bar is open.john hiatt
22.margaritaville.todd snider
23.rat race.the specials
24.honky tonk night time man.willie heath neal
25.lost weekend.stan ridgeway
26.i have my reasons.three bad jacks
27.diamond head..the ventures

I totally love the hooptylau cd....ESPECIALLY THE ARTWORK!
what a talented, fun bunch of down home folk!

View Profile of moondog426 Send a personal message to moondog426  Email moondog426     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-19 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

You can see the rest with captions at my blog Barefoot Bloggin'

"Reservior chickens or pollardville dogs" Classic Chongolio!! I love this pic. Infact, your slide-show had me in stitches. Great photos!!
Hey thanks BTW to Hat and Chongolio for putting the CD together-and to you too, Moondog- That was a real nice touch.

[ This Message was edited by: Conga Mike 2006-09-19 14:17 ]

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
limptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-19 11:28 am   Permalink

Had fun -- too much fun. Thanks to the hosts and drivers, thanks to chongo for the great art I won in the raffle and thanks to paranoid for advising on my poker hand.

Missed hooptiers from prior years and enjoyed the virgins. Guess I need to remove the modesto Tiki from the list of semi-regular drinking holes.

In agreement w/ congamike that this is the best event and hope it lives on.

View Profile of limptiki Send a personal message to limptiki  Email limptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-19 3:51 pm   Permalink

Well, Yeeeehawwww to all m' goll darn tiki pardner's out there. Here's sum of my piks for all y'all to pe-ruze.

'Nuff said.

Miss Kitty and the rest o' the gals cain't wait to get this here horseless carriage back to their saloon.

Heer's a cuple of ornery ol' cow pokes, what dun came staggerin' outta the saloon!

Looks like we dun spread the word, and edju-makated sum of them varmints what's hangin' round the saloon!!!

We've done gotten all greasified on fried chicken and giblets on a bunnnn.

Dag-nabbit, Mai Tai, I told you to keep yer goll darn hands off my giblets!!!

Unfortunately, unbeknowngst to us, these were the last cowpokes to finish off chicken and giblets at Pollardville.

That Dang ol' Chongolio shows the love he has fur his beer, whilst I prepare to meet my maker.

Wellp, that's about all the pics I could snap off before m' goll darn battery dun up and gave up the ghost! So much for this heer fancy-schmantzy teknowlageee. But I must say that I was glad that I dun held onto my hat and glasses, 'cause this here Hooptylau was the most rip-roarin' ride in the wilderness!!!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-19 4:50 pm   Permalink

So I have to agree with Limptiki and Conga Mike that Hooptylau is one of the best events ever! Thanks so much to the Drunken Hat, TikiCleen, Jungle Trader and Cheryl, and anyone else that I might have missed, for putting forth such effort, and offering such great hospitality by opening up their homes, and hauling our drunk asses all over the place. It is greatly appreciated by all of us! And on top of that, you guys give us prizes for dressing up in ridiculous outfits while prancing around drunk (something I'm sure I'd gladly do without much prompting anyways)!!! In my opinion, you guys are the ones that are deserving of the prizes! Again, thank you for your hard work and effort in planning yet another flawless Hooptylau!

Much thanks to Chongolio as well, fer doin' the dad gum artwork! And thanks also to Moondog for his Hoopty CD. Although some regular Hoopty folks weren't there and were greatly missed, it was great to meet some new Hoopty-ers, as well as hangin' out with the usual Hoopty Posse.

So, am I to infer that this Hoopty treat...

...has now been replaced by this one?

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-21 2:11 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to say big thank you to Scott, coleen and Vic for a wonderful time. It was a blast as always
much love

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-21 6:47 pm   Permalink

i know we have already said it, but we want to thank everyone so MUCH for coming out this way and experiencing the hooptylau. it's the people that really make this hoopty event rock, and we enjoy all of the creativity brought each year by all of you. i also want to send out a superbigsquishy mahalo to my friend chongolio (aka; lil' manila) for being a stud and helping me a tremendous amount. big thank you also to vic and cheryl for the wonderful day we had sunday, to tikihula for dem guns and holsters, and to thejab for pointing me in the right direction for the hawaiian western music (i gotta cd with your name on it dean!!!)

also, it was totally great to finally meet quickiki, kingstiedie & sandy, tiki-kate, and moondog. i may have been really out of it sunday, but mr. kingstiedie thankfully wore bright colors which helped lift me out of my fogginess. it was cool to be in the presence of tiki-kate, tikihula and kings who have monster-like rare tiki collections. i just wish i could have participated more in the discussions!

first stop, on-lock sam

ray in action at on-lock sam. this guy has great stories to tell about all the big players back in the day involved with the islander. just dont let him drink you under the table...

when cameras are left unattended.

when cameras are left unattended, part deux.

vixen, hat, congamike, and jungletrader

moondog, mrs. tikihula, tikihula, and mai tai

the hat, schmama lama, and humu

in the rental van heading to pollardville.

gunslinger mai tai shoots rum into tikihulas mouth? face? eyes?

the chicken kitchen rail road train!

tiki-kate and al

our engineer

it was a bumpy ride

pollardville's ghost town, the set of big country

those darn avid tiki magazine readers!

there was some really great big hair at the hooptylau:

miss coco loco

and miss humuhumu

then we dined inside the chicken kitchen...

the lone tiki left from the stockton islander

mr. and mrs. tikihula were true hawaiian cowboys!

the infamous covered wagon within the chicken kitchen.

the dark marq

cocoloco, schmama lama, and humu

tikivixen and paranoid123

moondog, mrs and mr tikihula

drunken hat and conga mike

somehow, i did not take any pictures at the tiki lounge, but it was packed due to the anniversary party of coming out as a gay bar. onward to minnie's!

moondog, chongolio, conga mike, and mai tai crash the '86 reunion at minnie's! (a time honored tradition)

the congas were very 1970's. i love denise's secret about her outfit!

chonogo's boar impression

kiss the muscle!

hula hula and josie. i love josie to pieces, but she put the hurtin' on me with her heavy pour.

humu and schmama

bill and tikivixen

conga mike, al, cocoloco and tiki-kate, with jungle trader hanging out in the background.

al, humu and tikivixen

apparently at some point during the night, i felt it was necessary to do many close-up pictures.

cowboy jungletrader

the sober drunken hat

lil' manila

the only proof that limptiki WAS in fact at hoopty.

mai tai, paranoid and al

peter (owner of minnie's) gives some love to vic

mai tai contemplating the food of england and the quicksand.

and of course, we had the inevitable minnie's boar pictures.

kiss the muscle!

first ever "boar view" photo shoot

um...yeah.

aloha!

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation