FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau 2003
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Hukilau 2003
ken_miller4
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-04-21 1:43 pm   Permalink

Posters have gone up at various vintage shops and record stores throughout Cleveland, too, so that covers about two-thirds of Ohio. I don't have any cool CD's to hand out, though.

Jeff, any way you can toss me a copy?

View Profile of ken_miller4 Send a personal message to ken_miller4  Email ken_miller4 Goto the website of ken_miller4     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-22 08:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2003-04-21 13:43, ken_miller4 wrote:

Jeff, any way you can toss me a copy?

No Problem. If you can't make it to "The Hukilau" in June send me an email "offlist" with your shipping address and I will put you on the list for a copy when it is completed. "Oh were going..to the hukilau...the huki, huki, huki, huki hukilau"

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-04-23 8:53 pm   Permalink

"We are coming up with a "What To Do" list while attendees are in Ft.
Lauderdale and surrounding areas so definitely send your finds to
home@thehukilau.com !!"---
Here are some of my Fort Lauderdale/Miami restaurant recommendations;
Tark's of Dania, 1317 S Federal Hwy, Dania Beach, FL 954-965-8275 hours 11a-10pm Sun-Thurs, 11a-11p Fri, Sat. This is an inexpensive fried seafood "shack" that is famous for their Buffalo Shrimp. Some cheap "happy hour" specials--call for info. They are 5 minutes South of the Ft. Lauderdale Airport.
Also in Dania is : Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor and Restaurant. The decor is like a nice Farrell's -old signs on the wall-fun and funky! This place is (according to the Food Network) one of the 5 best ice cream parlors in the US! Their Sundaes are huge!-you might want to share. They are at 128 S Federal Highway in Dania Beach, FL. Hours: Mon-Thurs 11:30a-11p. Fri, Sat 11:30 a-Midnight. Sun , noon-11P. 954-922-8293.
Also near the Ft. Lauderdale airport(but in another direction ) is Lester's Diner. In business since 1967-although I don't know if this is the original one or not. They are at 250 State rd. #84 Ft. Lauderdale. 954-525-5641. They might be 24 hours-call them.
They serve diner food and looks like a classic 50's diner without going overboard on the annoying "see how many fake(retro) signs we can jam in this place-oh hey, how about a thousand pictures of James Dean" look. Burgers, salads, pie and more!! they also have locations in Margate 954-979-4722 and Sunrise 954-838-7473.

For cigar lovers: down in Little Havana is : La Tradicion Cubana at 1894 SW 8th Street in Miami. 305-643-4005 www.tradicion.com. They roll their own cigars onsite so you'll be sure of freshness. My friends and I liked the "Torpedo" a slightly shorter cigar with a great taste for about $4 each. They are open 8a-5:30p mon-fri and 9a-2p on Sat. Closed Sundays. This place even has a small Tiki by the front door!

I will try to post more info on other places when I have the time.-- "mr Smiley"
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-04-24 01:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-23 20:53, mrsmiley wrote:For cigar lovers: down in Little Havana is : La Tradicion Cubana at 1894 SW 8th Street in Miami. 305-643-4005 http://www.tradicion.com. They roll their own cigars onsite so you'll be sure of freshness. My friends and I liked the "Torpedo" a slightly shorter cigar with a great taste for about $4 each.

I enjoyed one of those torpedos while at Mondo Tiki (thanks to mrsmiley). Hope I didn't offend anyone! I never smoke one inside.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-24 01:14 am   Permalink

For all you cigar smokers in L.A. try this little shop on sixth and western. It won't beat smoking a cohiba in habana vieja, but close.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-25 10:06 am   Permalink

We just got word that the early dinner show is full and the late show is half booked. Please, if you are coming from out of state to the Hukilau, don't delay or you may miss out! They are also now very much more excited about our event and we are working get King Kukulele and others some serious stage time there throughout the night.

Make your Mai Kai reservations even before you book your room or air fare!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-02 5:49 pm   Permalink

A sneak-peak of the upcoming mug can be viewed here

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-14 11:20 am   Permalink

We just received some bad news we wanted to share.

I'm sure those of you that attended Hukilau 2002 in Atlanta remember the amazing performance of the great surf band The Penetrators on Friday night and on Sunday at the Starlite Drive In.
http://www.penetrators.com

We just found out yesterday that the lead guitarist, Scott Rogers, also known by his stage name Rip Thrillby, died on Sunday from injuries he suffered in a car accident early Sunday morning in Atlanta. Unfortunately he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. He was a huge support system for Hukilau 2002 and taught us how not to sweat the small stuff. He will be greatly missed.

Here are some photos from the great performance as the Penetrators played on the rooftop of the consession stand on the last night of the Hukilau at the Starlite Drive-In in Atlanta.

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-05-14 11:21 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-14 11:30 am   Permalink

This is sad news. My condolences go out to the family, friends and musicians who had the chance to play with Rip.
I am bummed I will never get the chance to see him play live. He was an awswome musician.
Here is a link to Atomoculture the club Rip ran on Yahoo. There are some posts by his Brother and more info regarding his accident:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atomoculture/

Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-05-14 11:40 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-05-14 12:16 pm   Permalink

Montague, the lead guitarist of the Atlanta band The Woggles also passed away on Sunday at only 31 years old. My condolences to the families and fans of both young men.

http://www.legacy.com/atlanta/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=1009827

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-14 12:21 pm   Permalink

Yes, The Woggles, loved to see them play when I lived there. We found out about him the same day.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ken_miller4
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-14 1:22 pm   Permalink

That's tragic to hear about those two. I didn't know Scott, but I knew Montague well. Ours bands played together numerous times over the years, and he crashed out on my couch a few times that The Woggles came through Cleveland.

View Profile of ken_miller4 Send a personal message to ken_miller4  Email ken_miller4 Goto the website of ken_miller4     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-18 10:17 pm   Permalink

Hey! is Safari Thatch anywhere near the HUKILAU hotel??? I would like to visit them and shake their hands. Can't wait for HUKILAU! It's like a vacation!!! Is it gonna be humid??? I like humidity! It get's me going!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-18 10:48 pm   Permalink

Yes, Safari Thatch is just down the road. there was a plan in the works to make a group visit, but I don't know what came o fit. Yes, it will be very hot and humid. Do not be fooled. Florida sun is not like your sun. It will cook you in 1/4 the time. Please. Everyone. Wear sunscreen and be ready for some serious rays!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tweedtone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-20 11:38 am   Permalink

Aloha!

I'm promoting (and performing at) two shows with I Belli di Waikiki, one of Hukilau 2003's featured performers, to help defray their costs of appearing at Hukilau. Both are on Flirda's West Coast; one is prior to da big shew and one after:

Thursday, June 26 , 2003
Martini Club
520 Douglas Ave., Dunedin, FL
(727) 734-0885
The Vodkanauts w/I Belli Di Waikiki
showtime 10pm; admission FREE!
------------
Sunday, June 29, 2003
Surf In The Turf
http://www.surfintheturf.com
Skipper's Smokehouse
910 Skipper Rd., Tampa, FL
(813) 971-0666
The Vodkanauts; I Belli Di Waikiki (from Italy); The Thrusters (from Orlando)
showtime 5pm; admission $6

I'm appealing to all who've got the time/cash/logistical means to patronize one (or both!) events on their way to and/or from Hukilau.

The post-Hukilau show is at a very popular open-air venue in Tampa that has a good geal of room for vendors and artists to set up and hawk their tiki/surf-related wares. No charge to vendors from promoter or venue - just shoot me an email and lemme know you're coming.

See you at the Mai Kai!

View Profile of tweedtone Send a personal message to tweedtone  Email tweedtone Goto the website of tweedtone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation