FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving How I used to waste my week-ends...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
How I used to waste my week-ends...
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-20 02:53 am   Permalink

Thought I was seeing double there for a minute; those 'ticks' look familar... I never realised the Moai became a pendant, looks great.

Lucky Moaichael, though pity you had to shave him, that wouldve been a classic

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-08-11 6:15 pm   Permalink

Haven't posted for awhile and I've got a little bit of time, so here goes...

This is one I did some years back that is living in my buddy's backyard in Vegas, he may be moving soon though.

Still working on this one, kind of a therapy thing.

Thanks to all who have been kind enough to stop by and leave comments, I'll try not to stay away so long, well, after next week anyway.

Cheers!

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 03:27 am   Permalink

Woooah. The scales, the scales....

T

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 05:26 am   Permalink

Keeeripes man! By therapy do you mean that's what you'll need after carving all those scales? That's insane! Looks like the Ku-reature form the Black Lagoon!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 07:22 am   Permalink

I guess by now you have figured out how to do scales? You call that therapy, Puolng your hair out? Surely you must have no hair left by now as I would have torn mine out on the first leg. Excellent stuff, Excellent.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 12:29 am   Permalink

EXCELLENT.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 03:43 am   Permalink

Superb detail!

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kgbenson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-13 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-12 07:22, Benzart wrote:
I guess by now you have figured out how to do scales?

That is awesome. Can anyone point to a tutorial one carving scales? I would love to see how it is done.

Keith

View Profile of kgbenson Send a personal message to kgbenson  Email kgbenson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath

Posted: 2007-08-21 5:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks all for the kind words!

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to this, I posted and took off.
I HAD to go to Utah for a week of fishing. Honest, it needed to be done.

The therapy was actually working through a loss. I didn't actually mean to do the whole body, it just kind of happened.

Whether wrong or right, this was what I came up with for the scales.
I used a gouge and created the shape, and then cleaned it up with the hook knife.

Sorry about the quality of these shots, my camera was in the shop, but the camera phone is better than nothing.

The back.

The hip, do tiki's have hips?
Okay, the leg.

All those scales and I only broke one hook blade. Those things FLY when they snap!

I was finally able to get some pictures of the carving I did to pay for a previous trip.

I really like the weathering that's happened to it.

Thanks for stopping by, and remember to tip your bartender, especially if he catches you behind the bar. Are you paying attention Matt?

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 9:44 pm   Permalink

Very funny, very funny. In my defense the man did leave a stocked bar unattended at Oasis fer chrisakes!
I was only trying to help.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 11:46 pm   Permalink

That scaly CFTBLagoon/KU hybrid is freaking beautiful, very unique too.
Also digging the back of the weathered tiki!
SWEET
...Luckeeee

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath

Posted: 2007-09-09 09:55 am   Permalink

Once again I have found my way out of the depths of laziness in order to throw something up, er, post something.

Going back and looking I seem to have forgotten my manners, thanks to:

Tama and Paipo for throwing the stones across the pond

Benz, for showing how easy it is to keep an edge on the tools

Benella, McTiki, kgbenson, and Sneaky for the kind words

Matt for the influence and nice beers

and finally I'd like to thank the academy for making all of this poss..., oops, sorry, wrong speech.

Okay, I decided to try another chunk of queen palm. I know, I know, one would think I should leave well enough alone, but with the teachings of Mr. Zart and Zombo, all things are possible.

Close-ups of the top

I would have to say that the worst part of dealing with the queen palm is the cleaning. This chunk was from the logs I received back in mid- August of last year. While the inside had dried and the log split, there was still an incredible amount of moisture. I would say it took me about 6 hours to get it stripped to a point that was soft enough to carve.
And yes, I did use power tools.
I used a power planer, belt sander with a 60 grit belt, and 40 grit flap belt on a grinder

I'll post more as it progresses.

Thanks for looking.

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-09 10:32 am   Permalink

Striking chops Heath! I am floored! Those scales are nutz...aack! I hope focusing on that work has helped you cope. The new guy is great too. Glad to see you around.

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-09 11:27 am   Permalink

You're good! Some great vintage mana going there...Carving the scales on that Lono must have taken the patience of a parent!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 09:06 am   Permalink

Love tha Lono - outrageous!!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT  Goto the website of TheBigT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation