FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving How I used to waste my week-ends...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
How I used to waste my week-ends...
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 10:37 am   Permalink

headdress is looking awesome, man. Where's that scaly thing-I'd like to see more of that-it's simply wicked!

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 11:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-21 17:15, Heath wrote:
Thanks all for the kind words!

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to this, I posted and took off.
I HAD to go to Utah for a week of fishing. Honest, it needed to be done.

The therapy was actually working through a loss. I didn't actually mean to do the whole body, it just kind of happened.

Whether wrong or right, this was what I came up with for the scales.
I used a gouge and created the shape, and then cleaned it up with the hook knife.

Sorry about the quality of these shots, my camera was in the shop, but the camera phone is better than nothing.

The back.

The hip, do tiki's have hips?
Okay, the leg.

All those scales and I only broke one hook blade. Those things FLY when they snap!

I was finally able to get some pictures of the carving I did to pay for a previous trip.

I really like the weathering that's happened to it.

Thanks for stopping by, and remember to tip your bartender, especially if he catches you behind the bar. Are you paying attention Matt?

Great,great work!I love this last one very nice!Aloha!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 2:18 pm   Permalink

Niiiiiice. Very cool carvings Heath. Your style is unique and very neat and clean. They look super great in your garden. Perfect accent pieces. The scales bring in the relationship with the ocean. Yikes! How did your hands feel after carving all those?

Mrs Hoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 2:35 pm   Permalink

Awesome stuff still Heath. Your tiki carvings are Really great and the scales are really incredible. Can't wait to see that one completed.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-11 2:14 pm   Permalink

Hi Heath, just stopping by to say that whenever you're carving is sure no waste of a weekend. These shots speak volumes about your skill and the heart you put into your work.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-10-05 7:07 pm   Permalink

Jeez-Louise!

Once again I have let the sands of time slip through my fingers.

GMAN, Thanks for taking time away from your hunt to stop by. You certainly know what scales can do.

BK, I don't have any kids, but you'd be amazed where I learned about patience.

BigT, Howland, Clarita, Mr&Mrs, Robin, Thank you all for the kind words.

Mr. Zart, Always an honor when you buzz by.

One would think that since I have joined the shuffling ranks of the walking dead, I should have more time to devote to the ritualistic wood shaping of pagan idols, but alas, I am too wrapped up in witnessing the creativity of others.

Translation: Quit my job, too lazy to carve.

Although I have managed to start yet another one.
I've got maybe seven or eight hours into it.

Even though I spent close to seven hours at a friend's house when I started it, I spent more time laughing than actually carving. So I'm only counting maybe three or three and half hours work time.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 10:14 pm   Permalink

Very nice work here Heathbar. Im floored on the scales WOW.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-07 12:05 pm   Permalink

He called you Heathbar.(snicker)

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath

Posted: 2007-10-26 10:18 pm   Permalink

Okay, so believe it or not, I finally found so time in my hectic schedule to do some carving.
But first...
Seeksurf, thanks for kind words!
Matt, you know who you are!

The carving...

Started like this... yes, queen palm...

Ended like this... stupid, stupid, stupid...

Lesson learned: New chainsaw blades work differently than old dull ones, so have a back-up plan.

Take two... with fan palm...

More to come...

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-27 09:57 am   Permalink

Very nice. That queen palm is crap. Don't waste any more time with it.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath

Posted: 2007-10-27 1:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks AS, glad you stopped by.

I know, alot of people don't like queen palm, but I don't mind it so much. That was just overly ambitious on my part. From now on I'll just use it for masks or flat backed stuff.

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-28 04:23 am   Permalink

Your Precision is amazing, really.
I predict a Masterpiece.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-28 6:40 pm   Permalink

Looking good as always.
Cheers.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-28 8:14 pm   Permalink

Looking very nice there mate

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-31 2:58 pm   Permalink

These tikis are killer, love the scales and nice job on saving the latest project! Looking good.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation