FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food mixology beginner questions
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
mixology beginner questions
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 05:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-31 10:08, Tikiwahine wrote:
Yikes, we sure don't call them regular limes up here! Key limes are tiny and time consuming and have a totally different flavour. Plus due to their thin, often tarnished skin they make for lousy garnish. But I do suggest trying them if you can get them! To me they're only available in bags of 20 or so, therefore I only use them when I have a special recipe in mind. Regular limes are big and juicy and 4 fer $1.

Do you really think the flavour is superior? I think a comparison is in order.
to the research lab!

Wahine, check out this link:
http://www.foodreference.com/html/artkeylimes.html and this post. Personally, I find they have more zip and a more clean flavor. That's an odd description, but the best I can come up with at the moment. I personally find that flavor (not flavour ) to be superior. Do some taste testing and let us know what you think!

Sorry to derail this thread with a discussion of limes...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-01 09:44 am   Permalink

[quote]
[4) Try cheap booze. Remember, cocktails were invented to mask the flavor of lousy booze, so in an awful lot of cocktails the delicate flavors of expensive booze are almost lost in the mixing of ingredients. For something simple like a Martini, where there are only two ingredients, well the quality of the source booze is paramount. But in a Cosmopolitan, where there are four ingredients, I've found it's possible to mix a Cosmo with cheap supermarket-type booze and come up with something that's quite as good as any $25 Cosmo I've had in Manhattan made with Grey Goose. Honest.

I agree with Satan's Sin, unfortunately, to make a lot of good rum drinks, you need Lemon Hart Demerara and some decent jamaican rum. The only tropical drinks I can get away with using sheap booze are Chi-Chi's (well vodka, preferably Ralph's "Prestige" brand, bourbon drinks like the Port Light (Evan Williams or Ancient Age) and gin drinks, although the signapore sling uses a lot of expensive liquers if depending on your recipe. Perfecting a great Navy grog using Pusser's Rum, Lemon Hart and Appleton probably costs me three dollars a drink!

Astronaut

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 10:27 am   Permalink

"Our lime juice is particularly important and there is a long history of its use here at the Mai-Kai. We prefer juice from what is called a Mexican West Indies lime or Key Lime. There are two kinds of limes, which are quite different in appearance and taste. There is a Persian or Tahitian lime, which is large and shaped, likes a lemon. Then there is the Mexican or West Indies or Key Lime that is smaller and completely round like a golf ball, and although green through its growing and maturing stage it begins to turn yellow as it ripens. There is a tremendous difference in the taste of these two items and we have always noticed and preferred the juice of the West Indies lime. We had them compared and analyzed a few years ago in a lab and were told that the West Indies lime has a much higher oil content and acidity. This is our preference and the choice of the lime makes a very noticeable difference in the taste of the drinks."
-Kern Mattei
General Manager of the Mai Kai

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 10:44 am   Permalink

ok, sure, but how does everyone here feel about it? Would all of you use key limes in place of regular limes for every drink they make?

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 10:49 am   Permalink

TW, i use key limes because i can get them easily...it's a matter of supply for me...in the end as long as it tastes like a mai tai it's all good.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-09-01 11:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-01 10:44, Tikiwahine wrote:
ok, sure, but how does everyone here feel about it? Would all of you use key limes in place of regular limes for every drink they make?

Not me. I get real juicy limes at Trader Joe's by the bagfull. I can't see paying more and doing more work to use key limes. But, I'm glad the Mai-Kai chooses what they believe are the best.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 11:36 am   Permalink

I take the easy way out and use Nellie's Key Lime juice in a bottle. Although this summer I have used only regular fresh limes and juiced on the fly. Most of the last few years I used Nellie's almost exclusively. Gasp.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 1:13 pm   Permalink

The lime/juice/ingedient/brand X debate is one that consumes many threads here on TC.....

Maybe this can sum it up, specifically regarding the home-bar:

1 - If you are stocking a home-bar and are making cocktails for few (one) people, there is absolutly no doubt that you should be aquiring the best ingredients available and that you can afford. It is, afterall, your cocktail at your bar for yourself and friends so why wouldn't you use the best. I want to emphasize that you are looking for the best you can afford. There is no point in spending 'too much' on a bottle of something and then feeling that it is 'too special' to pour on an average night. Get the lesser brand and enjoy it every night. You will be much happier in the long run.

2 - If you are having a party and plan on making large quantities of drinks (or are just really thirsty) you will need to move down the quality scale a bit and probably for financial reasons. You are probably not going to want to pour $30+ rums into cokes for the drunken masses. During said party, you can always grab a few 'select' people and invite them to enjoy a special cocktail during which you can make a small presentation of making a drink using 'the good stuff.'

3 - Keep in mind that TC is an amazing resource for ingredients, techniques, ideas and recipes. But! The ohana that make up this little gang cover most of the time zones. What I have in abundance her in Florida may be very scarce where you are and vice-versa. And just because someone said that something is to-die-for doesn't mean you are going to like it. Drink what you like and like what you drink, its that simple.

I will get off of my rum box now. Everyone can go back to your regular drinking now. Move along, there is nothing left to see........

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blue Thunder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 1:24 pm   Permalink

I try to use mid priced brands for all but the most exclusive guests i.e. The ones that know a fine drink when they see it being made. I hate it when some one says "They like single malt Scotch" and then slam down a small glass worth $10 in one gulp. Same thing with a Mai Tai I spent $100 on ingredients for and then ask "Where's the pineapple jiuce?"

View Profile of Blue Thunder Send a personal message to Blue Thunder  Email Blue Thunder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 6:25 pm   Permalink

Wow! Lots of great stuff! I've been using lime juice and orange juice from the bottle. I'll try the fresh stuff... (and maybe buy some better rum:)

New burning question: How come a drink from a shaker has you fill the shaker with ice, shake it, and then pour into a glass with ice? Why not just pour out the ice and drink from the shaker? Seems like you double the ice.

Burning question #2... How do you learn how to float stuff? I've been floating 151 which you can't see if it floats, but I made an Atlantic Breeze today, which has you float grenadine... and.... STRAIGHT to the bottom! Help!!!!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 7:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-01 18:25, Davez_tikiz wrote:
I've been using lime juice and orange juice from the bottle. I'll try the fresh stuff... (and maybe buy some better rum:)

A new convert is born! YAY! But as has been said here, do what YOU like and like what YOU do. Or something like that.

Quote:

How come a drink from a shaker has you fill the shaker with ice, shake it, and then pour into a glass with ice?

I don't usually strain the drink unless the recipe specifically calls for it. What I do usually is this: fill the shaker with the ingredients that are to be shaken (first juices, then syrups, then alcohol), THEN add ice, shake, dump all to a glass or mug, and add more ice if necessary. I don't think I hardly ever strain into a glass that has fresh ice in it. Seems wasteful of the ice in the shaker.

Quote:

How do you learn how to float stuff? I've been floating 151 which you can't see if it floats, but I made an Atlantic Breeze today, which has you float grenadine... and.... STRAIGHT to the bottom! Help!!!!

THIS ARTICLE should answer your question. Take a look at the density chart. Notice that grenadine is way at the bottom of the chart, meaning it is dense and will sink to the bottom as you observed.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-02 07:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-01 18:25, Davez_tikiz wrote:
New burning question: How come a drink from a shaker has you fill the shaker with ice, shake it, and then pour into a glass with ice? Why not just pour out the ice and drink from the shaker? Seems like you double the ice.

This may seem like you are using twice the amount of ice, but there is another "Slightly Scientific" answer: The ice in the shaker is now 'warm' and if you pour the whole contents of the shaker into the glass, the ice wont last long. By pouring your drink over 'fresh' ice the drink will stay colder longer (and cold drinks melt less ice keeping the balance in your drink).

You can see this in action if you care to do a little bar experiment.... Take a shaker full of ice and add 6 oz of room temperature water. Shake it and strain the liquid back into a measuring cup. You should have wound up with about 8 oz (ish) of water after the shake. That melt is what balances as well as mixes your cocktail. Now take a look at the ice left in the shaker, looks kind of beat up an melted. A fresh glass of ice is much prettier.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-02 08:03 am   Permalink

Hey Blue Thunder...that Single Malt slammer thing irks me too. (or Only Cuban Cigars or French Champagne)

Most people who call for a "type" of bevy using a buzzword like Single Malt, yet not distinguishing between the huge variations within them is usually a no-nothing.

Blended malts are fine...they were intended to be more consistant than single malts (which they are) more affordable, and made to specific tastes of various people...Initially the English and Women who didn't like the harsher tastes of stronger Scotches which were first marketed.

Sorry...just stuck in my craw.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blue Thunder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-02 08:18 am   Permalink

Funny thing I love single malts from the Speyside/Highlands areas but don't care for Isla as they are too peaty for me. My wife who is from Scotland doesn't like blended but will sip singles all day. I agree there are some very nice blends i.e. Pinch, Johnny Walker but even at that I rarely use them alone except maybe with soda. And most people don't realize that proper single malt tasting includes a slight amount of water to open up the taste. Too early but this is making me thirsty. But I find that really exceptional liquors no matter what they are are nicer to enjoy as a sipping experience whether it Rum, Scotch, Bourbon or even Tequila.

Quote:

On 2006-09-02 08:03, Gigantalope wrote:
Hey Blue Thunder...that Single Malt slammer thing irks me too. (or Only Cuban Cigars or French Champagne)

Most people who call for a "type" of bevy using a buzzword like Single Malt, yet not distinguishing between the huge variations within them is usually a no-nothing.

Blended malts are fine...they were intended to be more consistant than single malts (which they are) more affordable, and made to specific tastes of various people...Initially the English and Women who didn't like the harsher tastes of stronger Scotches which were first marketed.

Sorry...just stuck in my craw.

View Profile of Blue Thunder Send a personal message to Blue Thunder  Email Blue Thunder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-02 3:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-31 10:10, Tiki Pop wrote:
canned pineapple? oh the horror!

They meant the little cans of pineapple juice, not little cans of pineapple. And please don't tell me to squeeze fresh pineapple juice! No one here has the money nor time.

And remember, people: key lime juice is not a substitute for lime juice. The two have completely different flavors and can rarely play the other's role. Look in our recent big Mai Tai thread. Someone made a Mai Tai with key lime juice and it was horrible!

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation