FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki 1959 Lithograph McVicker Polynesian fire dance
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
1959 Lithograph McVicker Polynesian fire dance
Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 2:13 pm   Permalink

I'll take two at $10.00 apiece!!

View Profile of Kamaina Kraig Send a personal message to Kamaina Kraig  Email Kamaina Kraig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 2:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-27 13:23, Tom Slick wrote:
All that would need to be done is one good professional high resolution scan for less than $100/one time fee, and you can get 100 11"x17" posters made for as low as $99 with UV protection coating... At that rate, selling the print for $10+ S/H is worth all the effort taken, and the price for the print would be extremely buyer friendly. I would buy at least one as well. Maybe two, and use one as a gift!

Hey, Tom! Are you in the industry? Just wondering where you got the numbers for the scan and prints. I'm a print production manager by trade and have some great vendors who do art reproductions all day long. Are these digital prints you're talking about or offset print? Giclee? You don't necessarily need a drum scan, if it's a stretched canvas or the board/paper it's printed on is brittle they can take a photo of it (a professional one, at the studio). Anyway, if you're (by you, I mean thegreenman) interested I could definitely help you guys out on this and get you info from a local place I work a lot with here in Orange County (CA), but don't know of anyone in Florida.

[ This Message was edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-03-27 14:55 ]

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 2:52 pm   Permalink

I've worked closely with some pretty big print companies, when I used to have fliers made on a weekly basis. I used to run between 5k and up to 20k fliers a run for various nightclubs(almost 12 years heading promotions). I've heard that drum scans give best quality, although never personally had to use the service.

This is entirely thegreenmans project, and I'm not insinuating what he will want to charge, should he choose to go this route. I'm just offering ballpark prices on the current market rates. The prices I have listed are from doing a little footwork like checking local print websites. I have a friend and graphic designer who works at
www.Indieprinting.com , and I just pulled their current pricing for comparison. He also refered me to www.aandi.com for information regarding actual art duplication.

Just trying to supply some options, and price quotes...hehe, nothing more than that!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-27 3:11 pm   Permalink

Hey folks lets not jump the gun here...
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves.

I'm going to look into this, it is by no means a done deal, but just maybe...there may be a very limited quantity at the Hukilau.

View Profile of thegreenman Send a personal message to thegreenman  Email thegreenman Goto the website of thegreenman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 3:15 pm   Permalink

Well, I can offer up this info, gleaned from 25 years in the graphics production management industry.

A drum scan is best if the material is flexible. You can do a high res flatbed scan as long as the scanner can accomodate the size. You will need as scan at 100% and at least 200 dpi (up to 400 dpi is preferrable if you want to make a print larger than the original) to do good quality reproductions. If the item has dimension, you'll want to get a studio produced high-res digital photo. Then you'll want to check the image and do color corrections as needed to get the image quality you want.

Then yes, you can send it out to a printer on disc, but you want to be careful which kind of print you get, as some of them do not hold up well over time. Lambda vs giclee, etc. There's also paper to consider, there are many kinds and you'll want to choose depending on how you are using the final print. ie: lower quality posters or high quality prints suitable for framing (archival). The options just depend on the quality and longevity desired.

Just my personal opinion; you should go with the best quality that you can that makes sense for the subject material.
Thegreenman, feel free to pm me if you want to discuss.

That image is very cool! It would be great to have nice prints of it available!

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-27 3:24 pm   Permalink

I would like a print of that image. I also have some original art from an estate. One is an unsigned pen & ink of a Jungleland type attraction. The other is a signed color painting of a Polynesian Luau with a similar theme....A-Frame, fire and hula dancers, outriggers, Tikis, cocktails. I will try to post that in another thread. They are large images that a local company put on a disc for me. The pen & ink was on paper and they were able to scan it. The other painting was larger and on board so they took a high-res photo. It was a while ago, but I think they charged about $20.00 per image.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-TONGA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 4:16 pm   Permalink

Here's a decent desktop/wallpaper version.

http://i43.tinypic.com/91f67b.jpg

View Profile of TIKI-TONGA Send a personal message to TIKI-TONGA  Email TIKI-TONGA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-TONGA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 5:05 pm   Permalink

Here's one that was reproduced on canvas.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26774&forum=5&vpost=352041&hilite=an%20artist%20and%20a%20great%20brother

View Profile of TIKI-TONGA Send a personal message to TIKI-TONGA  Email TIKI-TONGA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-27 6:06 pm   Permalink

Okay that saves me a lot of trouble. Nothing wrong with that picture at all. Looks great.

I'll just take a few nice digital hires pictures of it, post them and you all can do what you want with them.

I think I'll make one giclee for myself, and then sell or trade off the original.

Thanks everyone for their input, advice, and comments. Happy Tiki hunting.

View Profile of thegreenman Send a personal message to thegreenman  Email thegreenman Goto the website of thegreenman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 6:22 pm   Permalink

thegreenman, please don't let Tiki Tonga stop you from pursuing making some prints of this great piece of art for sale. I think people would love to be able to purchase one done perfectly to display in their homes.

By the way, TT, copying images for your personal use is something we all do, but re-posting them for the general public and thereby ruining someone's potential income is not so cool, IMHO.

TIKI-TONGA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 6:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-28 18:22, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
thegreenman, please don't let Tiki Tonga stop you from pursuing making some prints of this great piece of art for sale. I think people would love to be able to purchase one done perfectly to display in their homes.

By the way, TT, copying images for your personal use is something we all do, but re-posting them for the general public and thereby ruining someone's potential income is not so cool, IMHO.

Hey KVT, Tiki-Tonga is not trying to stop anyone from pursuing anything. As a matter a fact, I too, would love to purchase a quality reproduction of this image. May I direct you to page 1 of this thread where a desktop wallpaper version of this image was offered up already by Kona Chris on Jul 16, 2005. The posting and offering of a low resolution computer desktop image on my part, cannot compete with a full resolution highly detailed scan. You, having 25 years in the graphics production management industry, should know this. So I hardly see that as ruining someone's potential income. If thegreenman chooses to make and sell a print of this image, then that's great, I would buy one. If he does not choose to do so, and instead posts a link to a high resolution version of the image, then that's great too. And I thank him either way. KVT, your ill informed assumptions are "not so cool" IMHO.

Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 10:56 am   Permalink

It wasn't the screensaver that I was talking about, it was the tutorial. But I will pm you rather than cluttering up this thread with our discussion. Peace!

TIKI-TONGA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 11:23 am   Permalink

Just so everyone is clear. Kiki von Tiki, I'm sorry but you are mistaken. I am not the person who had a print made on canvas. That was a TC member named tikicar. I do not even have a brother. Take another look at that link I posted. I was just sharing a post I had remembered seeing on TC about that same image, that's all.

Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 4:33 pm   Permalink

All I know is that if I had an original painting/print and seen someone post that they made a copy from my own pics without my consent, I wouldn't be too happy about it.

And to top things off, someone digs up an old thread and reposts the link that someone bootlegged my owned art is like adding insult to injury. Just by re-introducing the "bootleg my owned artwork" thread. That's pretty much how I'd feel about it.

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2009-03-29 16:39 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-TONGA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 6:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

And to top things off, someone digs up an old thread and reposts the link that someone bootlegged my owned art is like adding insult to injury. Just by re-introducing the "bootleg my owned artwork" thread. That's pretty much how I'd feel about it.

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2009-03-29 16:39 ]

My link to tikicar's post very much pertained to the discussion on this thread, and I have no regrets about posting it. Hey the evening news adds insults to my injuries, but that's OK, I'm a big boy and I can handle it. Information must flow freely both in the real world and here on TC.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation