FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Your holy grail...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Your holy grail...
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-02 11:35 am   Permalink

I want to win one of those Bong-made tiki bowling trophies.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wo Fat

Posted: 2003-01-02 4:48 pm   Permalink

Without a doubt, I needs me one of those Tikiccino coffee machines shown in the Book of Tiki. That or an original Shag painting depicting me as a suave supervillain.

But stepping back into the realm of realistic aspirations, I sure wouldn't mind one of those posters showing all of the different celebrities having a good time at the Kahiki.

View Profile of Wo Fat Send a personal message to Wo Fat  Email Wo Fat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-02 10:45 pm   Permalink

there's gotta be somebody out there who was involved in ren clark's polynesian village or knew of ren clark- especially since he was such a famous magician- how many of those are there?

Those Polynesian village mugs are quite rare- and im not just talking about the head- there are a few other varieties too- i barely seen any in years of hunting

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-03 12:45 am   Permalink

On the old board someone had posted photos of 6 or 8 Ren Clark mugs. Who was this? Could you post them again? Please?.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-03 01:46 am   Permalink

that was me- but i dont have the pics anymore, and my mugs are boxed up still after a move. ill bust em out when i get to the bar stage and take some pics

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-03 07:08 am   Permalink

I'm very keen to get hold of a mug from the Mayfair Beachcomber, which used to be based in London. While I've managed to get mugs from the other UK Tiki establishments, I've only managed to get a rather cheesy LP from the Mayfair Beachcomber. The archive film, freely downloadable from Pathe, shows drinks being served in some sort of Tiki mug there, but it would be nice to actually find one.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-04 12:35 am   Permalink

A big Barney West.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-04 07:39 am   Permalink

whats a big barney west?

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-04 08:53 am   Permalink

Barney WAS big, but by now I bet he is sort of crumpled, and would smell bad. I would reconsider....

No but seriously, good taste. Together with Milan Guanko he is my favourite carver, and there must be some of his Tikis around somewhere. Hey, if you found those Pompano Beach Tikis, you'l find one of his... BOT page 246/247

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-04 12:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-04 07:39, hula hula wrote:
whats a big barney west?

Hula,
Barney West was an old carver who carved tikis for such places as Trader Vic's in Emeryville and the now defunct Lanai restaurant in San Mateo. Aquarj of this board actually acquired the old Barney West carved tiki that stood in front of the Lanai for many years. The tiki now stands in Aquarj's front porch. It's one tall MUTHA! Here is a pic of me with it:

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-04 12:24 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's a beaut! What's the story behind the aquisition? Is it outdoors in all weather? Has it been treated?

Is there a story behind that particular style of Tiki? I've a little 10 inch version with Hawaii on the bottom, but the combination of his sad eyes and angry mouth throws me.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-04 12:38 pm   Permalink

sweet!

mental note:plan to hit aquarj house soon

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-04 4:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-04 12:15, PolynesianPop wrote:

Barney West was an old carver who carved tikis for such places as Trader Vic's in Emeryville and the now defunct Lanai restaurant in San Mateo. Aquarj of this board actually acquired the old Barney West carved tiki that stood in front of the Lanai for many years. The tiki now stands in Aquarj's front porch.

Pol. Pop, a little correction here: The Tiki stood in front of LANAI LIQUORS, which to my knowledge was unaffiliated with the Restaurant. The Liquor store probably took the name from there since it is in the same neighbourhood.

See the Tiki being moved at aquarj's website:
http://www.goofspot.com/bamboo/see/sfrm.htm

Barney drank himself to death decades ago, but you can see his fine Tikis at Trader Vic's all over the world. The big ones in Emeryville, the one's at the Atlanta T.V.'s old entrance (now the rear), and most of those medium size Tikis that sit on the booths in Trader Vics are Barney Wests. He also did great masks for them.
My holy grail would be one of his Tiki chairs he made (BOT p.246). He also did figureheads and totem poles.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2003-01-04 16:17 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-04 6:05 pm   Permalink

Hmmm... I always thought that tiki stood in front of The Lanai first and then Lanai Liquor second - after The Lanai closed down.

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-01-06 07:41 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
divychic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-05 09:08 am   Permalink

I love when people post pics of themselves so it shows you who your talking to. PolynesianPop you're not how I picture ya. It's funny how you imagine how people look even thou you've never met. Love the tiki pic maybe one day I be able to post pics on here myself.

View Profile of divychic Send a personal message to divychic  Email divychic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation