FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Pappy Takes a Bartending Course
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Pappy Takes a Bartending Course
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 3:53 pm   Permalink

Yes, please keep going. I can't wait to learn how to make a Mai Tai!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-21 1:28 pm   Permalink

NOW I remember why I defected from Massachusetts in '75!

GH

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-21 2:17 pm   Permalink

Us Mainers seceded in 1820.

..sbim

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatdeko

Posted: 2006-09-23 05:08 am   Permalink

And then we became the first state to enact statewide prohibition 30 years later. Dirigo again...

myers

View Profile of fatdeko Send a personal message to fatdeko      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-27 09:17 am   Permalink

Week 3:

Took quiz on first 20 drinks. Went over same. Instructor tried again to sell us the TIPS class (Training on Intervention Procedures for Servers of alcohol) which is another $40 on top of this lousy class and five hours of my life. We spent the rest of the class writing as he dicated twenty more drink recipes to us. After last night I felt guilty just being there; like it was pickpocketing class or something. We still have not touched any bar equipment.

Interesting things I learned:
1. alcohol goes into the shaker before the juice or mixers
2. it is legal in the state of Connecticut to buy your minor child an alcoholic beverage in a restaurant, bar or club
3. Bacardi, Captain Morgan and Malibu are your primary rums (sob...sob...)
4. Your primary whiskeys are VO, CC and 7&7 (sic)
5. a rum and Coke is also called a "Cuba Libra" (sic)
6. all sours are served either in a highball or cocktail glass
7. an Old Fashioned is served in a rocks glass
8. Need to find out what drinks are served in Old Fashioned and Sour glasses...
9. sour mix can and apparently is used to replace lemon and lime juice AND simple syrup
10. I really, really don't want to go anymore.

Next twenty drinks: Gimlet, Martini, Gibson, Cosmopolitan, Tom Collins, Sloe Gin Fizz, Bacardi Cocktail, Daiquiri, Frozen Daiquiri, Whiskey Sour, Irish Coffee, Manhattan, Highball, Presbyterian, Old Fashioned, Rob Roy, Rusty Nail, Amaretto Sour, Toasted Almond, (Kahlua) Sombrero

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-27 09:33 am   Permalink

So that's why my drinks always taste bad! It's cause I don't always add the alcohol first! Damn it! Wait, my drinks don't taste bad.....
Are you sure that guys telling the truth, Pappy?

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-09-27 7:53 pm   Permalink

I think we have hit on the reason that most drinks that you get in most bars these days pretty much SUCK!

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Pop
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-27 9:01 pm   Permalink

yo Pappy
I think you need to start up a tiki drink bartending course.....

Aloha

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Pop 2006-09-27 21:01 ]

View Profile of Tiki Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Pop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 08:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-27 09:17, pappythesailor wrote:
Week 3:

Took quiz on first 20 drinks. Went over same. Instructor tried again to sell us the TIPS class (Training on Intervention Procedures for Servers of alcohol) which is another $40 on top of this lousy class and five hours of my life.

TIPS class, what will they think of next? Maybe I could be the teacher for the SAP class. (Sexual Abstanance for Prostitutes)
If you are a bartender you serve me drinks if I am of legal drinking age. If I have "too many" I walk home or call a cab. No intervention is required.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 09:34 am   Permalink

I have an SAP button on my TV. I always wondered what that did.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 09:54 am   Permalink

What's funny is that the list of drinks he' sgiving you are never used. Have you ever in your life heard someone order a Rob Roy or a Old Fashioned? That is part of the list of long lost drinks like the Ward Eight, etc. He might as well be teaching you the names of Presidents... It would be more effective to teach a list of the most suggestive and filthy shooter drink names. You know, the "Screaming Orgasm" and the "Rock Hard Erection" and the "Incredible Head." If those aren't actual shooter names, they will be... And they are going to be ordered 100 times more often, not 10,000 times more often than the Rob Roy.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-09-28 09:56 am   Permalink

Honestly now Pappy, are you really allowing this "teacher" to perpetuate some flat out errors?

Improper pronunciations,
grenadine is cherry-flavored syrup,
Cuba Libra,
etc. etc.

I hope you are standing up and actually trying to set things straight.

Otherwise you are just wasting your time.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 10:39 am   Permalink

If I start speaking up, I'm liable to foul up the experiment. I'm just there as an observer. If you really wanna know why things are as bad as they are, I need to just shut up and be the man Who Wasn't There. A good journalist doesn't make himself part of the story. I'm even going to take this TIPS class. If I do decide to speak my mind, I'll have more to say about his teaching style than his content anyway.--Who spends two hours dictating recipes that are in books?

See--you got me going...

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-09-28 10:57 am   Permalink

Screw journalism! You have an opportunity to effect a change (albeit a small one) and you are squandering it!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-01 6:47 pm   Permalink

Or after the course has run, find "someone" to "convince" this guy to find a different occupation (that involves no alcohol whatsoever).
Better yet, on the last day, take him out with a Zima (by making him drink it) and show the kids the RIGHT way to do things.
This person is sounding like a film school teacher I had who droned non-committedly along about really obvious facets of the field and was about ten years behind on what was going on in the industry...

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation