FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Pappy Takes a Bartending Course
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Pappy Takes a Bartending Course
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-27 06:30 am   Permalink

Hey C & A, I wish I could report that I had a lovely well stocked home tiki bar like so many of the pictures that we see here on TC, however.... the reality of the story is that for those ten years of bartending, booze and babes - me and my coworkers referred to our tips as "funtickets". They went out of my hands as easily as they came in! In my 20's, (after graduating from University of New Hampshire)when I should have been developing a career and a game plan for my 30's, 40's and beyond- I was playing. In the years since I've been jumping from job to job, trying to reinvent myself, trying to be an artist, trying to make a buck. (If you really want to know) -http://www.jonmooers.com/id2.html

My bottles sit on a counter in a corner of my one room apartment at the moment! Most of my Tiki stuff sits in a 5 X 10 storage unit 1 town over! Oh well, such is the life!

I keep all the ingredients for a well made Mai Tai (when I can afford 'em), including a couple of my favorite mugs to drink from! I love Campari and soda - and sip it dreaming of living on a canal in Venice, Italy. Otherwise I keep a mid range vodka. I love a chilled shaken Dirty Martini after a "tough" day, or a refreshing vodka tonic with lime on a hot afternoon. I love a hearty Zinfandel with Dinner. An Icy cold Pabst Blue Ribbon or a Schlitz can always be found in my fridge!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-27 09:17 am   Permalink

Now I took one of those classes yeeeaaars ago...boston bartending school or something, in Springfield, Mass....not in Boston...shoulda known something was up.

A lot of memorization, but alot of "how to prep the bar", how to free pour, hands on with the colored water, etc. Our quizzes were to step up to the bar and rapidly make anything the instructor called out....with the colored water.

Now, once I started working at bars (a few years after the course) I dont think I used any of that knowledge apart from the free pour.

I guess I got lucky in that the bar I hung out at during college was a dive that mostly locals hung at...not many college kids. I hung out there so much they hired me. The owner was pretty cool about just about everything.

For good customers we could "super-size" a drink for $1 to a $1.50 more depending on what it was. This meant mixing your gin & tonic, or Whiskey highball, in a pint glass with proportionally more booze. Rock glass? Highball glass?? F-that. PINT glass baby!!!

When I moved to Memphis, I worked at pool hall dive bar. That was a true "shot & a beer" place. ALmost NEVER mixed a drink there...just opened bottles, pulled drafts & poured shooters.....and occasionally deep fried some chicken fingers.

Now, I've got my own bar in the basement, and I've gotta say, I dont think I use anything that I learned (apart from my deep frying skills....anyone who's had our hot-wings can attest to that).

I dont free pour anything (seeing the difference 1/4 oz vs 1/2 oz of pernod can make, I finally realized you NEED to measure). My prep is non-existant (unless I'm entertaining, & I'll pre-juice a bunch of lemons & limes). And I constantly over-serve myself (& guests). I'm thinking I could NEVER get a job as a working bartender now!! heh heh

But, I gotta say, whenever Pappy is over & he runs the stick for a bit, his mixing skills are excellent!! He's welcome to be my bartender anytime he wants!

Just dont ask him to deviate from a recipe...he's stab you with that pen of his.

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 10:03 am   Permalink

Man, this is one of the best threads I have read, for entertainment value! Pappy, sorry you had to be the guinea pig, but this is not something I would have ever done! But I am a better person for having read it, that's for sure!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-03 1:57 pm   Permalink

This seemed as good a place as any to post this...

Wanna know why your drinks suck, and how you're getting scammed at most bars (even beyond what Pappy discovered)...

http://cityguides.msn.com/citylife/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5196463&GT1=10269

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-09 7:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-28 09:54, Swanky wrote:
What's funny is that the list of drinks he' sgiving you are never used. Have you ever in your life heard someone order a Rob Roy or a Old Fashioned? That is part of the list of long lost drinks like the Ward Eight, etc. He might as well be teaching you the names of Presidents... It would be more effective to teach a list of the most suggestive and filthy shooter drink names. You know, the "Screaming Orgasm" and the "Rock Hard Erection" and the "Incredible Head." If those aren't actual shooter names, they will be... And they are going to be ordered 100 times more often, not 10,000 times more often than the Rob Roy.

I just had a nice Ward Eight at McCormick & Schmick's... I didn't know that that drink was an invention of Locke-Ober, the veritable Boston establishment. This thread is great, holy shit, I am laughing my balls off.

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-21 12:51 pm   Permalink

I finally read all the way through this journalistic feat.

In the voice of Comic Book Guy: "Best... thread... ever!" Thank you for sharing this ordeal with us; it was funny and educational, and confirmed all my reasons for never wanting to order a cocktail outside my home bar.

I'm sure we all go through that moment when we look around a restaurant or bar and try to figure out what it might be safe to order.

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 1:10 pm   Permalink

Peg, I'm finding that it's increasingly becoming safe to order nothing.

A few weeks ago I went to McCormick and Schmidt here in downtown DC. It is a pretty high class restaurant, with a pretty decent bar.

Instantly I was impressed with their orange squeezer behind the counter(and they used it too). I was even more impressed when their cocktail list was categorized by decade, and each cocktail had a paragraph description underneath it. Then I saw "Trader Vic's Mai Tai", which proceeded to list all the proper ingredients. Delighted, I ordered it, asking the bartender if it was indeed the Trader Vic recipe. She shrugged. Uh oh.

Overall, the drink was prepared correctly, but was suspiciously light in color. I should have paid a little more attention, but I'm almost positive she had reached for the Bacardi "Superior", even when the menu listed Appleton in the recipe. I should have called them on it, but I've never been one to do that, and I still enjoyed the cocktail.

I'm ambivalent as to whether I should go back there.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 1:36 pm   Permalink

Go back, and bring a copy of the original recipe, and/or Beachbum's.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 08:05 am   Permalink

I had (what they were calling) a Mai Tai at McCormick & Schmick in Reston VA (suburb west of DC across the river). It was reddish and seemed like a Shirly Temple with a pineapple and cherry garnish containing maybe a whole shot of light rum, maybe. I guess they attended bartending school when they should have taken up mixology.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 12:22 pm   Permalink

You know, I have never had a decent Mai Tai outside the Mai Kai, or my house! It's amazing the amount of variation you find in the juices, especially.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 6:56 pm   Permalink

I could say the same thing about the first two Mai Tais of the night, but the 3rd, 4th and 5th always taste decent.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 7:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-22 12:22, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
You know, I have never had a decent Mai Tai outside the Mai Kai, or my house! It's amazing the amount of variation you find in the juices, especially.

Next time you are in South Florida, I will make you a Mai-tai unlike any you have ever had. It will be the Mai-Tai that haunts you until your last liver cell has died and gone to liver heaven.......

(And then Andy will probably throw you in the pool.....)

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 06:40 am   Permalink

I have not bar-tended for about 12 years and was thinking of taking a class to re mediate my skills. I am re-thinking it. My five year plan includes trying to open a Tiki bar.

BTW, If you have to much money laying around and want to invest feel free to contact me.

In the meantime I am tired of the traveling and stress my current vocation requires and to prepare myself I will be seeking a part time job bar-tending soon at a laid back establishment that will allow me to do the right thing. I'm a bit long in tooth for the club scene and not exactly interested in the shallow nature of the local native youth, I can't understand the whole wearing the pants so your underwear is showing thing. If I get my own bar going I think I will have a continuous mixology class and I WILL be using fresh squeezed juices. A recent visit to Thatch in Portland made sure of that.

Funny enough My first Martini was for Leona Helmsley, who is finally dead. She fired me three times but was always to drunk to remember it the next day. She only allowed males to serve her and I was her bitch for about two years whenever She visited the Harley Sandcastle on Lido Beach in Sarasota, Fla.. Yes she was as mean and spiteful as they said.

If I do take the class I will post it's results in comparison to Pappy's miss-adventure.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 06:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-23 06:40, Bohemiann wrote:
Funny enough My first Martini was for Leona Helmsley, who is finally dead. She fired me three times but was always to drunk to remember it the next day. She only allowed males to serve her and I was her bitch for about two years whenever She visited the Harley Sandcastle on Lido Beach in Sarasota, Fla.. Yes she was as mean and spiteful as they said.

Oh, you mean Cruella Deville. I always thought that Leona (Lena) aspired to wear a Dalmatian pelt coat.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-27 06:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-22 19:28, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-08-22 12:22, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:

Next time you are in South Florida, I will make you a Mai-tai unlike any you have ever had. It will be the Mai-Tai that haunts you until your last liver cell has died and gone to liver heaven.......

(And then Andy will probably throw you in the pool.....)

I consider the gauntlet to have officially found rest on the floor. Next time I'm in your corner of the globe, I plan on redeeming it for said cocktail. I will even remove valuables in anticipation of the last threat. And consider it part of the price!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation