FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 08:47 am   Permalink

Erin:

Thanks!

We are also looking forward to Tikifest.

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 2:37 pm   Permalink

Hey guys,

We were in the garage working on some of our projects and surprise, company comes calling. It was Helz and Rita with a delivery. The bar in the previous post was what they had on board.

We got it unloaded and Helz immediately assumed the position behind it to give it a test drive. It seems to work OK. It does need a little TLC, but heck, what's wrong with another "project"?

Here are a few shots.

He seems to be trying to decide, or trying to convince someone.

Getting ready.

Doing the deed.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on this, some TLC and we're there.

pop

View Profile of poptiki Send a personal message to poptiki  Goto the website of poptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 8:29 pm   Permalink

Pop - I'm not suprised that your new bar only made it to the garage before Helz started pouring;)

Erin - That is a sweet Witco fountain you found, the seller must know what they have for that asking price.

Fink and Randi - Enjoy yourselves at Oasis again this year. I imagine it will be much improved over last year.

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 9:01 pm   Permalink

Matterhorn - Thanks for the heads up on the Denver Moderism show. I ended up speaking with the organizer last week and will be giving a tiki presentation on Saturday August 25 from 12:00-1:00. Later that afternoon, we will be heading over to Tikifest. Looks like they are also having some other great presentations that weekend that I am planning on attending. We will be there Friday night at Charles' show.

The website has the event information at
Denver Modernism . Here is a summary of the updated schedule.

This will be the BIGGEST-EVER collection of mid-century modern, deco and pop home decor that Denver has EVER seen in one place! And, with all the folks flying in from around the country to shop and to sell at the show.... it will be Denver's first chance to play host to a real "WHO'S WHO in Modernism!"

We've finalized our SCHEDULE OF EVENTS, so you can start planning your weekend. You really should come out all three days! Here's why....

FRIDAY August 24
Friday Night Preview Gala & Sale:
- Live 60s Instrumental Surf Guitar Music
- Super Special Guests (Oh, yes - the rumors are flying!)
- Tiki Bar and Hors D'oeuvres from Catering by George
- Retro Slide Show with L.A.'s Charles Phoenix
- Complimentary valet parking
- and more surprises!

The Preview Gala & Sale runs 5 - 10 pm.
$35 VIP admission first 2 hours, until 7pm
$10 general admission begins 7pm.

5 - 7 pm -- Early VIP Preview Gala & Sale
Be the FIRST to see and shop this year's show! VIP Preview Gala includes special give-aways, live music, and open bar. Only VIP Preview Gala tickets include re-admission all weekend. VIP Preview tickets may be purchased at the door, or online at http://www.eventbrite.com/event/63665425.

6:30 - 8 pm -- Live Music with The Aquasonics
Live 60s instrumental Surf Guitar Band! www.myspace.com/theaquasonics

7pm -- Doors Open to Public Preview Gala & Sale

8 - 9 pm -- Retro Slide Show with Charles Phoenix
Get ready to laugh your socks off with our special guest - all the way from Los Angeles - Charles Phoenix! He'll present a live comedy retro slide show performance celebrating 50s & 60s style, tourist traps, car culture, theme parks, space age suburbia, parties and more… IN COLOR! From the kitsch to the classic, 'Histo-tainer' Charles Phoenix loves the world of mid-century design and American Culture. He is known for his live comedy retro slide shows, school bus field trip tours and colorful coffee table books.

9 - 10pm - Live Music with The Aquasonics
More Live 60s instrumental Surf Guitar Band! www.myspace.com/theaquasonics

10 pm - Doors Close.

SATURDAY August 25
Admission: $5 (includes all programs)
Loads of free parking onsite and at K-Mart across the street
10 am -- Doors Open

12 - 1pm -- Tiki! The Exotic World of 1950s-60s Polynesian Pop Culture
Take a look back at the heyday of Polynesian Pop Culture as you tour classic tiki bars, restaurants, apartment buildings, motels and more! Marvel at the fantasy environments they created during this multi-media presentation! Host Mike Skinner (aka ZuluMagoo) edits the "Rocky Mountain Tiki Newsletter."

1 - 2 -- Chock Full of Ranchy Goodness: Postwar Denver & Beyond
Atomic Ranch editor Jim Brown, Portland, OR, regales us with his knowledge of modern ranch home architecture. Don't miss this fascinating slide show! www.atomic-ranch.com

2 - 4 pm -- Live Music with Strange News Worlds
Come sail the Space-Funk Continuum with Strange New Worlds, fusing elements from Pink Floyd to Miles Davis, from Soft Machine and Medeski Martin & Wood to Mozart and Prokofiev. Every performance is unique, a special event. www.myspace.com/snwband .

6 pm -- Doors Close

SUNDAY August 26
Admission: $5 (includes all programs)
Loads of free parking onsite and at K-Mart across the street

10 am -- Doors Open

11 am - 12 pm -- The Googie Project: The Aurora History Museum's Noble Attempt to Preserve All Things "With-It"
With your help, the intrepid curators at the Aurora History Museum can preserve for posterity all those twitchin’ examples of “Coffee Shop Moderne” that grace Colfax, Broadway and the region’s other strips of neon, Formica and flagcrete. Curator of Collections Mike Thompson and Curator of Exhibits Matt Chasansky will debrief you on Googie History before a pictorial tour of the area’s space-age masterworks including the White Spot, the Big Boy and the countless signs and buildings of the atomic age. This lecture kicks off the Googie Project, which includes an exhibit at the Museum in 2008.

12 - 1 pm -- Collecting Colorado's Modern Art
An All-Star Panel Discussion on the ins and outs of collecting modern art by Colorado artists, current and historical. With Kirkland Museum owner Hugh Grant, Rocky Mountain News art critic Mary Voelz Chandler, Plus+Gallery owner Ivar Zeile and Westword Art Critic and major collector Michael Paglia! Modernism Show Hostess Dana Cain will moderate and we'll take audience questions, too!

1 - 2 pm -- Retro Slide Show with Charles Phoenix
If you missed the Friday night presentation - or even if you didn't - You'll LOVE THIS ONE! Our special guest - all the way from Los Angeles - Charles Phoenix - has been called the "King of Retro" by the Los Angeles Times. He'll present a live comedy retro slide show performance celebrating 50s & 60s style, tourist traps, car culture, theme parks, space age suburbia, parties and more… IN COLOR! From the kitsch to the classic, 'Histo-tainer' Charles Phoenix loves the world of mid-century design and American Culture. He is known for his live comedy retro slide shows, school bus field trip tours and colorful coffee table books.

2 - 3 pm -- LAST CHANCE to make those final purchases!!!

3 pm -- Doors Close....until next year!

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibeeyatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-13 12:45 pm   Permalink

Hey Poptiki -

The bar is fantastic! Nice purchase. Good to see it got broken in properly!

Zulu - yeah, that Witco fountain blew me away, but man...hello pricey. It's undoubtedly worth it, but that's, like, almost a down-payment on a car! *sigh* I'll just keep dreaming. Thanks for the lineup for the Modernism show - really looking forward to it, although with Tiki Fest, I will only be able to attend Friday's festivities, so unfortunately I'll miss your presentation. It sounds super cool. By the way, who is George - the guy who'll be slinging tiki drinks that Friday night?

Ciao!

View Profile of tikibeeyatch Send a personal message to tikibeeyatch  Goto the website of tikibeeyatch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 8:30 pm   Permalink

WARNING: NON-TIKI CONTENT

Quote:

On 2007-08-10 14:15, tikibeeyatch wrote:

Fink, I forgot to mention this in my last post, but my husband and I LOVED your paintings! They are very cool! And of course, your house in fantastic. I had to stop drooling at some of your furniture pieces.

TB, I couldn't agree with you more. Thankfully, Fink was kind enough to let us purchase one of these fine works and it now proudly graces the living room (soon to be the lounge)....

Andrian Grigoryevich Nikolayev

The backstory on all of the Vostok Cosmonauts is fascinating. And Finks passion for it really comes through. Just had to share this.

Now back to all things wonderful and polynesian...hope to see a bunch of you all at the Modernism show. I'm hoping to catch Zulu's presentation, and we'll RSVP and try to stop by the luau...looks fantastic.

HELZ OUT.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
elevatorman

Posted: 2007-08-14 8:22 pm   Permalink

To all:
I just found out about the Shag Lounge that just opened up last weekend...
http://www.shagdenver.com

Anyone been there yet? Not sure if it's worth going, but it might be worth it just to see what it's like.

Oh, I'm pretty new here (at Tiki Central), by the way. Just signed up and I like it around here so far.

View Profile of elevatorman Send a personal message to elevatorman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 10:52 pm   Permalink

Wow Shag Lounge.

Of all the names in the universe, why Shag lounge? Moreover, why copy Shag's art style down to the print ads? My guess is that this place, not unlike Taboo of years past, will be cool enough inside but all they will play is fucking techno and other types of music that Tikiphiles and Modernists will be disappointed with. I will check it out, but I have a hunch that this place will turn out to be bunk when it comes to substance. I won't even begin to fret about the drinks. Whew... A MCM inspired place that touts it's Tiki drinks will surely pineapple the mai tai and ignore Robert Drasnin for some House DJ. We shall see. Don't get me wrong,I would love it if this place is cool but true MCM & Tiki culture may be misunderstood by the kind of crowd they are hoping for.

If anyone goes to Shag, be sure to post your review pronto!

I really hope I am wrong about this. I just can't seem to get past that stupid name.

Off to TO7.

I will report on the festivities soon!!!

T.F. out..

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Fink 2007-08-15 00:41 ]

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibeeyatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-17 08:48 am   Permalink

Hey Gang -

I haven't been in Shag Lounge as of yet, but the location was different from where I previously thought it was going to be. It's on 15th, underneath Tarantula Billiards. The sign is horrifically bright - definitely no tiki-inspired signage or decor. However, I saw a flyer for Shag Lounge (at Parisi of all places!) touting their "Tiki Tuesdays." (see ad below) Not sure exactly what this entails - drink specials were listed and I'm siding with Fink in guessing they will be pretty craptactular. Plus, on their MySpace site, they're advertising a "Calendar Release Party" for the Denver Broncos Cheerleaders. Bleck. I would be very, very surprised if this place turned out to be cool. Which of course is too bad - we really need a good tiki bar here. Damnit.

[ This Message was edited by: tikibeeyatch 2007-08-17 08:48 ]

View Profile of tikibeeyatch Send a personal message to tikibeeyatch  Goto the website of tikibeeyatch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
elevatorman

Posted: 2007-08-18 3:55 pm   Permalink

Yeah, with the look of some of the ads they have, I am every skeptical of it. It's nice to know that at least someone around here is thinking in that direction I guess. Let's hope it inspires others to open more traditional tiki bars.

View Profile of elevatorman Send a personal message to elevatorman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibeeyatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-20 09:17 am   Permalink

Aloha again Denver tribe:

As I posted earlier, this Saturday is our 4th Annual Tiki Fest.
The party starts at 3:30 pm, and goes til all hours, usually.
Live music by garage surf band Maraca 5-0 starts around 4:30 or 5:00.
Here's a map & directions - please RSVP online at
http://www.tiki-fest.com

Mahalo and See you there!

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 11:20 am   Permalink

Hey Denver!

TO7 is finally in the history books. I have to say that the changes since last year made for an amazing time.
There was no aspect of Tiki Oasis that was not vastly improved. This event has really gelled. Despite the de-tikification of the Islands Restraunt there is still enough Tiki in Crowne Plaza that it is a great venue.
We had an awesome time!

See you all at Tikifest!

T.F.

Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 09:04 am   Permalink

Good day ya all.

Its lookin' like a beautiful weekend in the Denver tiki world.

Its a small world it seems...after Tiki Boyds closed and they were lookin'....a least they claimed to be lookin' for a new location....a few of us suggested the closed Netties II location under tarantula billards as it already a had worn down 70's wharf bar kinda feel. Now Shag lounge took it over.
And even if Shag lounge sucks.....its right down the street from Sams #3....which frickin' rules. Googie style, coney dogs and burgers plus alcohol....more could a bald happy drunk daddy want?!
Tikibeeeyatch (sp?) yeah you....we're neighbors....I live over by 55th and Marshall. I get all my landscape rock over by your house. And while Marshall liquors in between us has taken a dive in its long glorius history they actually had bottles of Appletons rum in stock for a while. So I had to buy a little garage sampler......(sample it every time you go out in the garage!) So yeah....we're gonna swing by for a bit....can't stay as the babies need to be kept on schedule or all hell breaks loose.
Zulu.....see you Saturday. Good Job gettin' in there.

Sinning-seriously......Mr. Dale

p.s. Fink.....nice paintings....real nice.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Dale 2007-08-22 09:05 ]

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 09:12 am   Permalink

Do any of you Denver Tikiphiles know anything about Rangi Kapa's schedule for his visit to the Denver area?

View Profile of timidtiki Send a personal message to timidtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 6:20 pm   Permalink

We will be at Tikifest for sure but we will not make it until 7:30. Hope everyone sticks around till' later.

T.F.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation