FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 10:58 am   Permalink

Welcome Moaiman!

I was thinking about checking out the so called Tiki Tuesday at this joint today.

Report to follow.

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 6:24 pm   Permalink

Some of you out there knew our friend TikiBill. He never owned a car or a telephone in his life, he was a very solitary man. But he had a real passion for tiki. His home was filled with hundreds of them, large and small. When he found our local group of Polynesian Pop enthusiasts, he was thrilled.

I just wanted to share that Bill passed away on Labor Day in his sleep. Aloha Bill, I'm glad you found our tiki group and were able to share your passion with us!

Your friend, Mike.

Bill enjoying a MaiTai at one of the 'Night of Tiki' slideshow presentations at the now defunct Tiki Boyd's. (Jan. 2005)

Bill at the Twin Dragon 'Tiki on the Town' party (April 2006).

TikiBill 1938 - 2007

[ This Message was edited by: ZuluMagoo 2007-09-04 18:30 ]

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 2:06 pm   Permalink

Although I only met Bill once, he was a very enthuastic about tiki and exotica music as well as being an extremely kind and gentle person. My wife Joyce and I also want to wish Tiki Bill a fond Aloha. He will be missed by the Denver Tiki enthuasists.

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 4:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha Tiki Bill.....Tiki drinks and South sea breezes from now on.
Mahalo for everything.

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 6:42 pm   Permalink

I never had the pleasure of meeting him...but his presence was definitely felt at many of our gatherings.

God speed, Bill.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 6:43 pm   Permalink

Also, please note....new username.

Mahalo Hanford!

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 7:18 pm   Permalink

I had the pleasure of meeting Tiki Bill briefly at the Twin Dragon. Bill seemed like a very nice man. I am sorry that his health began to diminish when it did as he would have been a great addition to the many events since the party at The Double D.

Aloha Bill.

On a less somber note, Randi and I visited Shag Lounge on Tiki Tuesday. I will begin my critique by saying that the Tiki Drinks were half priced that day. That said, I would not want to neglect to mention that there were no prices on the drink menu. Mind you that this place is owned by the folks who brought us La Boheme. Cut to the chase. The drinks are strip club priced! Based on what we paid, I believe that the "regular", price for a Tiki drink hovers around a heart stopping $14.00 a pop.

As for the service, the bartenders were very nice and we were treated quite well.
We were however, the only customers there aside from a couple of performers from La Boheme ( one of whom was observed destroying the ladies room with a meal in reverse ).

The Tiki drinks were all proprietary so you can't fault them directly for not knowing how to make any of the classics. The drinks we did have were decent and they did have a number of Tiki Farm mugs around for service.

The decor is of course, mid century modern. Most of the furnishings are quite nice even though they are knock offs, as it would be insame to allow originals to be trashed by your drunken clientele. With regard to music, there was no suprise here. They were playing alternative music videos and not a note of exotica or surf was to be heard.

Shag Lounge does not lack potential. If they had some Tiki related programming on Tiki Tuesday and the drinks were not insanely over priced, this place could become a good spot for the kind of crowd that became regulars at Tiki Boyd's.

It seems like someone need only make inroads with the management. I would not be suprised if they were open to suggestions.

Any one interested?

T.F.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Fink 2007-09-06 19:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Fink 2007-09-06 19:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Fink 2007-09-07 09:01 ]

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 10:46 pm   Permalink

While I never had the good fortune to meet Tiki Bill, I have been regaled with tales of his exploits and great efforts to foster Tiki culture and spread it to others, a passion he held throughout his life. I am saddened to learn of his passing, but the legacy that he spent his years shaping and nuturing - one richly preserved and shared by Zulu, his wonderful lady, and many, many others - is testimony to his life's passion. I'm proud to know of it, and honored to have had the opportunity to explore even a small part of it through my good friends, new and old, sharing their experiences with me. Mahalo, kind sir, and may the beaches for you be always drenched with Mai Tais and sun-kissed lovers.

Mrs. Fink

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Fink 2007-09-07 08:57 ]

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-07 09:05 am   Permalink

Here is a bit of good news!

Los Straitjackets are coming to the Soiled Dove Underground on Friday 10/19/2007. They will be performing with Big Sandy of Big Sandy and his Flyright Boys.

If you have even the most remote appreciation for CLASSIC surf music, this show is a MUST SEE!!!!!!

DETAILS

http://www.tavernhospitalitygroup.com/soiled_dove/shows

T.F.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Fink 2007-09-07 09:06 ]

tikibeeyatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-10 12:15 pm   Permalink

Hey gang - ran across this cool site during my usual obsessive online window shopping. This company makes "Tiki Pet" products - food (all-natural), treats, toys, beds, etc. for dogs, cats, and critters. Pretty cute. Their toys are very Shag-esque, and the beds are mid-century derived. Apparently they sell some of their items at Mouthfuls Pet Shop on Tennyson in the Highlands area, for those interested. Maybe a little over the top, 'eh?

http://www.petropics.com/

View Profile of tikibeeyatch Send a personal message to tikibeeyatch  Goto the website of tikibeeyatch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibeeyatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-10 12:18 pm   Permalink

PS - Fink and Randi, thanks for the low-down on Shag Lounge.

Sounds, well, bleak at this point, but like you said - maybe with a little help they could get the right idea. I'd be willing to help try to sell them on improved tiki efforts - count me in.

I still really feel like we should open our own joint. And I still wonder if we could pull it off by joining financially into this endeavor. But, of course, this sort of thing is always risky.

View Profile of tikibeeyatch Send a personal message to tikibeeyatch  Goto the website of tikibeeyatch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 4:18 pm   Permalink

In reply,

I have been kicking the idea of opening a private club around lately. The good thing about a club is that you don't have to be open for business with everything in place all at once. If we found a storefront in the right locale, we could all pitch in on the cost and begin to build away. There is a ton of talent within our little circle and there is a ton of potential.

Next.

I was thinking about a gathereing on the 16th but now I have settled on the 23rd. SUPER casual! The game starts at 2:00pm and anyone who wants to have a little Bronco fun is welcome.
A little BBQ and Tiki Fink Theatre or just movie inside after the sun goes down. This date is set. I believe that Helz and Rita are in, so join us!!!!!! Perhaps we can begin to hatch a plan for opening a club!

T.F.

[ This Message was edited by: tiki fink 2007-09-11 14:36 ]

Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 8:57 pm   Permalink

Yep, we're in for sure.

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-11 2:37 pm   Permalink

A little error on my calendar. I MEANT TO SAY SUNDAY SEPT. 23 FOR MY BBQ.

WOOPS.

T.F.

Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 1:20 pm   Permalink

Whenever Fink, we're still gonna be there!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation