FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.
Carmine Verandah
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-07 10:52 pm   Permalink

Are you, Mr. Dale, by any chance a Goth tiki enthusiast? Methinks there's a bit of crossover there...(There are times when La Verandah's misty past as a Renaissance fair wench catches up with her.)

If this Cause is to get off the ground, it will require media manipulation -- as in press releases guaranteed to bring free publicity. La Verandah hereby volunteers long experience in the way of contacts, written allurement and wheedling.

Her only requirements are that 1) something of an attractive fence be erected between the restaurant and that icky parking lot next door, 2) good absinthe be offered at the bar.

Santa Baby, bring us a tiki bar...

View Profile of Carmine Verandah Send a personal message to Carmine Verandah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-08 10:33 pm   Permalink

Anyone close to the location of the " Future Royal Kahanamoku Outrigger Club"?

If so get the number. I really want to know what they are looking for on that property.

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-09 4:12 pm   Permalink

there's a couple of us goth tiki crossovers in New England. I am much much less goth than I once was, but there's still some in me. And Rain is a crossover person.

But it makes some sense, as there is a link between goth and rockabilly, and there is a link between tiki and rockabilly/hotrods.

are there any cultural anthropologists in the house who want to analyze this?

..sb

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Carmine Verandah
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-10 11:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-09 16:12, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
there's a couple of us goth tiki crossovers in New England. I am much much less goth than I once was, but there's still some in me. And Rain is a crossover person.

But it makes some sense, as there is a link between goth and rockabilly, and there is a link between tiki and rockabilly/hotrods.

are there any cultural anthropologists in the house who want to analyze this?

..sb

Only of the amateur variety. I have dallied with the raggle-taggle Gothies, O, with great enjoyment. Have even written for Gothic Beauty under a different moniker. Hmmm, yes, the tiki/goth connection is worthy of its own thread...

View Profile of Carmine Verandah Send a personal message to Carmine Verandah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 09:02 am   Permalink

T.F. Where is this place you speak of? O tell us brother.....is there a rescue on the horizon?

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-12 10:32 am   Permalink

The Gemini. Naturally we would turn it into The Royal Kahanamoku Outrigger Club. Otherwise known as "The Royal".

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-12 1:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-12 10:32, Tiki Fink wrote:
Naturally we would turn it into The Royal Kahanamoku Outrigger Club. Otherwise known as "The Royal".

Naturally.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
elevatorman

Posted: 2007-12-12 9:33 pm   Permalink

So interesting...I haven't checked in on this thread in a while, and now that I do - surprise - I see that a place I grew up going to (Gemini) is seriously being considered being turned into a tiki bar by this great group, and learn that there is a goth/tiki crossover (I'm more into the gothier side). I'm a graphic designer, so I could design flyers/other promotions for the ex-gemini tiki bar if needed.

When I first joined this group, I dreamed in my head the possibility of a goth/tiki event blending both styles, with live bands, fire dancers, etc. Sometimes living in my head aint so bad.

View Profile of elevatorman Send a personal message to elevatorman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 06:55 am   Permalink

Hey ya all......the number for the Gemini and the future Royal is 303-534-5005.
They are asking $995,000! Its a lot of money for a rag tag group like us.
But we can bring them down over time.

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 09:22 am   Permalink

My appologies in advance for the incredibly crappy picture (But what do you expect from a shot at twilight, through a dirty windsheild at 70+mph?)

Another option. I know it's kinda out of the way, but it's a bit smaller, a bit taller, and would have a lot more visual presence.

I'm assuming all you native folk know where this is.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 10:22 am   Permalink

The I-76 A-frame at 88th Avenue.

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but take a look at the existing tiki bars (non-restaurants)that can survive, ex. The Tiki Ti (LA), Forbidden Island (Bay Area), The Tonga Hut (LA), etc. These places all have one thing in common, they are all SMALL, VERY SMALL. The idea is great, but I think the scale is way too big.

I guess I'm the guy who walks into a great party and tells everyone it's time to go home. LOL

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-14 8:43 pm   Permalink

Dreamin' is free! It is good to get the juice flowing with regard to having our own place in Denver. Whatever it takes, we should work toward this goal large or small.

T.F.

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-15 12:46 pm   Permalink

This is a little short notice, but we are going to hit the Twin Dragon (3021 S. Broadway) this evening for some flamming pupus and tiki drinks then head over to the Skylark Lounge to catch The Beloved Invaders (insturmental surf) holiday show (Alameda/S. Broadway). Anyone else interested?

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-19 11:49 am   Permalink

Aloha All!

NEW JOINT ALERT!!

The place, The Continental at 5th and Santa Fe Blvd. I have been by this location untold thousands of times and lamented the fact that the bar there was not really fit for the art community that has thrived on Santa Fe for nearly a decade. Good riddance to the old and open arms for the new!

There was a soft opening there last night and I was too under the weather to attend.
The grand opening is Friday night. I will certainly be there if I can.

T.F.

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-24 07:34 am   Permalink

Mele Kalikimaka Denver Tribe!

Hope all is well with you and I wish you a WONDERFUL huladay!

T.F.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation