FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-26 10:26 am   Permalink

Aloha everyone:

It looks like we won't be able to make this one due to my work schedule. Hope you all have a great time and take some pics!!!

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-26 2:17 pm   Permalink

Hey,

Rita gets back from Vegas tonight, so I'll see what she thinks, but I know we already had a kinda busy weekend of "Creating" planned...But if she's game, and not to run down from the trip, I'm all for it. Update coming soon.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-26 2:17 pm   Permalink

(SOME SORT OF COMPUTER HICCUP)

[ This Message was edited by: HelzTiki 2007-04-26 14:30 ]

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitheremin

Posted: 2007-04-27 10:03 am   Permalink

I've posted this in music, but wanted to put it in a more "local" forum too.

Denver band seeking percussion/drums for spaceage/tiki pop with a surf twist.

Instruments include bass guitar, guitar, saxophone, melodic theremin, and vibraphone.

Goal is to come up with some originals, while performing some covers; I'd like to see us twist up some of the covers in weird ways and also perform some lesser-known pieces in the genre.

There's got to be someone out there...

View Profile of tikitheremin Send a personal message to tikitheremin  Goto the website of tikitheremin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 6:13 pm   Permalink

How was the trip to The Castaways??? Do tell?

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 7:28 pm   Permalink

We had a low turnout this time around. I attribute that to the fact that this outing requires driving down and back to Colorado Springs. At least I hope that is the reason for the low turnout, not waining interest in tiki now that Boyd's has been closed for some time now.

The folks at the Castaways have changed a few things since we were there last. Comments about the new Castaways:

THE GOOD:

- The interior decor (the private tiki hut, lamps, captain's table, lobby waterfall, etc.) is still in place and looks good.

- They still sell limited amounts of gift shop items in the lobby.

- They are still serving their tropical drinks in tiki mugs (and have added a new pirate head mug).

- The cheesy piano player is still there on Sat. nights (the World Famous Tom Boyle, who the hell is that?).

THE BAD:

- The restaurant has been renamed and is now called 'The Pirates of the Castaways'.

- The music in the restaurant was all over the board. I can recall hearing the Bee Gees, Johnny Mathis, Linda Rondstat, and STYX. It was wierd.

- The music in the lobby next to the waterfall was nautical/pirate (at least the few minutes I listened to it).

- The food was NOT GOOD this time around. I thought my two previous visits were pretty tasty.

- The drinks were bad. We got there early so we waited in the bar and ordered a round. The bar tender had no idea what was in the drinks we ordered and just added some rum and fruit juices as she thought may be apprpriate. I ordered a Suffering Bastard, it was frothy and pink and tasted like Kool Aid with three times the amount of sugar. Very dissapointing.

- The cool salad bar and associated theming has been removed. Now they bring out individual salads to your table.

THE UGLY:

- All the wait staff now wear pirates costumes (the cheesy kind, imagine a $9.99 pirate in a bag costume from Walmart at Halloween). They also wear skull and cross bones temporary tatoos on their faces (cheeks or forehead).

IN SUMMARY:

I now equate the new 'Pirates of the Castaways' to Casa Bonita. Nobody goes to Casa Bonita for the food (it's terrible), but is a fun place to visit if you have out of town guests or kids to entertain. The Castaways is like that. if you are local to Colorado Springs, I would not go there for a meal. However, traveling down from Denver on a rare occasion with like minded tikiphiles may make the trip worthwhile (as long as everyone knows what they are in for).

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 09:13 am   Permalink

Damn, jumping on the bandwagon...so hopefully after all the movie stuff dies down they can knock the crap off and get back to doing what they COULD do best....

And my appologies for not being able to make it, Rita was to cashed out (Physically...not so much monetarily) from her Vegas trip, so we just layed low.

I'd still like to get toghether soon, maybe next week at the Lantern?

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 08:58 am   Permalink

Hey All!

Just curious. Anybody have any new news on The Hut or when and if they plan to open?

T.F.

Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 07:53 am   Permalink

Funny Fink, I was just getting curious about that myself...

And on another note, I wanted to see what everyone's schedule looks like this Friday to meet up at the Red Lantern for some drinks and bad (ok, not terrible) Chinese food...Rita and I were thinking around 7:30.

Let me know if you need directions, and it'd be great to see you guys and kinda get back in the swing of things again...

Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 4:57 pm   Permalink

The ever so lovely wahine and I can make it Friday night.

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 7:33 pm   Permalink

Very strong possibility we can make it.

T.F.

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 10:16 pm   Permalink

We will plan on heading up that way.

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 3:32 pm   Permalink

Great!!!!

I'm gettin' jazzed to see everyone tonight!!!

- Helz

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 5:43 pm   Permalink

See yall in a few!

T.F.

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 6:00 pm   Permalink

Hey there!

Looking at how long it has taken for The Hut not to get open has me pondering some alternatives. We could really use a gathering place ASAP. I pose this question. Why don't we put our collective resources together and start a private club?

Think about it!!!!!!

T.F.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation