FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.
tikibeeyatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-16 4:38 pm   Permalink

Hey T.F. -

I'm sort of new to Tiki Central (I joined last year but forgot all of my info - brilliant) and saw your post. While I'm new here, I'm certainly not new to the world of tiki. Anywho, I've been dreaming of opening a honest-to-goodness Tiki Bar here in Denver for years now, and well, to put it bluntly, I have neither the cojones to leave my job nor the financial resources. Which brings me back to your post!

I would love to be a part of any kind of facility/club/bar whatever that you and fellow Denver tikiphiles collaborate on.

Denver needs a good Tiki spot!

View Profile of tikibeeyatch Send a personal message to tikibeeyatch  Goto the website of tikibeeyatch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 6:31 pm   Permalink

Cool reply!

Basically what I had in mind is looking into the legal aspects of operating a private club in the C&C of Denver. Unless I am mistaken, it is a little easier to set up a private club than it is a bar or public establishment. Since the principal members would be responsible for creating such a club, there would not be any specific time line or opening date, therefore the establishmnet could be built and decorated as time and money allows. It would require leasing a space and then the construction could ensue. Eventually you could develop a fairly sizeable membership with fees and while this would not have to be a fantastically profitable venture, you could hire a permanant staff, and walla... A cool gathering place is born.

Just a thought.

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibeeyatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-17 07:57 am   Permalink

Hello again T.F. -

This sounds like a great idea! I would've never thought of the private club angle, though it seems very smart - that way you don't have quite as much to lose if it doesn't work out.

Keep us Denverites posted on any moves to make it a reality - I am totally on board!

View Profile of tikibeeyatch Send a personal message to tikibeeyatch  Goto the website of tikibeeyatch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 10:29 am   Permalink

You may want to look into the advantages of becomig a "not for profit" organization with a mission to "promote polynesian pop-culture" or even real polynesian culture (probably more legit this way). It can get you tax breaks, etc. if done right. I know some rugby clubs that are 501(c)3 organizations. Worth looking into anyway.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 1:43 pm   Permalink

Man Fink....its a great idea....everywhere I go I'm lookin' at storefronts, old gas stations and the warehouses thinkin TIKI BAR. About two years ago my wife and I sat down and wrote it all out from the name to the look, bar menu, hours, money and the works.
And as it goes...almost the next day my little girl let us know the stork was bringing her in 9 months.
So the bar went on hold and the file is still stowed away.
But its so much more than a bar.....its just a friggin' place to go on the rare night out that isn't the dumbass Denver club scene. Ever since High Street speakeasy shut down my belief in Denver bars has hit an all time low.

So f--k yes.....sign me up as clubmember #1 or 2 or whatever. My $ and a full sized tiki are there. And I know a few of my buddies are in too.

My porch is open for an intro meeting to discuss this if'n all of us Denverites wants to explore it it.

-Happy Skull-ptures---

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibeeyatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-18 2:29 pm   Permalink

Amen, brother!!

Wouldn't a storefront on South Broadway be perfect? When the DC Gallery closed, I almost jumped on the space because of their super cool leopard print carpet they had on the floor. But alas, I think a lame-o headshop or something wound up leasing it.

Sign me up, too - and I could also supply lots of vinyl!

Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-24 09:23 am   Permalink

So......Damn near two months from today.....Me and the rest of the Denver Rats are headed to the beautiful black hills in search of steaks, beer, mayhem and mind clearing Zen moments.
I spent most of my childhood running around the Lead / Deadwood / Sturgis areas and am acting as drunken tour guide.
There are seven of us all headed up on piles of poop Jap bikes that no one spent over $1500 on. But thats half the fun....just getting there and back.
But I am sending this out in case any of ya all are gonna be up there for the Strugis Bike Rally or the Days of 76 rodeo.
Let me know and we'll all meet up. Perhaps try and drain the Bodega bar or the #10 Saloon of all its beer. Cause god know they have NO idea what goes in a blue hawaiian.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Dale 2007-05-24 09:25 ]

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibeeyatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-24 2:53 pm   Permalink

Howdy -

Not to mess up the posting flow here, but thought I'd throw this out to those interested in the whole Tiki Bar/membership thing.

There's a storefront available for lease on South Broadway. It's pretty small, but reasonably priced. I know at this point it's just a pipedream, but here's the info for those interested:

2435 S. Broadway, 800sf, $700/mo utils incl.

Found this listing on post-newsclassifieds.com.

Cheers!

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-27 08:36 am   Permalink

Interesting.

I am glad that there has been some thought on this matter. If there is enough interest, it would be cool to get together and meet as previously suggested, to talk about the prospects of a private tiki club. In the past I have been part of an art co-op that started in much the same way. If we had 15 or 20 people involved and dedicated to the project, there is no doubt that we could get this off the ground.

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 06:41 am   Permalink

Isadore Gallery...35th and Walnut....

This Friday night is "Retroville".....Pin-ups....hot rods and TIKIS! I don't know who made them....they are styrofoam....but hell...they are tikis. Anybody here make 'em?
Plus its First Friday and all the galleries are open. Should be a good time.

I'm taking my whole family down....Eddie said he'd go as long as daddy didn't try and dress him up like Elvis again.
He looks good like Elvis. My poor kids.

-Happy Skull-ptures---

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 08:03 am   Permalink

Im' in. I won't get there until around 8:00 or so but I will check it out for sure.

T.F.

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 7:12 pm   Permalink

From Friday's Rocky Mountain News Spotlight:

Sounds pretty cool. An excuse for a Sunday mountain drive and cocktails with friends!
We should seriously consider checking this one out. Nudge Zulu.......
Considering that The Castaways has been suckin' of late and the long awaited Hut is MIA. LET'S GO!!!!! SOOOOON!!!!

T.F.

The Nest

Evergreen Golf Course, 29614 Upper Bear Creek Road, Evergreen; 303-674-6351

Lay of the land: The Keys on the Green restaurant next to this challenging hilly course is a well-known, well-regarded eatery, but the secret ace is The Nest, an affable golfer's tiki hangout above the restaurant with great views of the course that highlight what's so attractive about mountain golf. And that's not to mention the enticing Friday Afternoon Club there - from 4 to 7 p.m., enjoy $5.95 apps (calamari, shrimp, wings, etc.), $3 well, $2 draughts and two-for-one martinis. "I espe- cially love (the patio) in the late summer or early fall when the elk head down the mountain in the afternoon," says Danielle Beck, 32, who considers this her favorite course in Colorado.

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-03 11:00 pm   Permalink

As some of you know, I have been working on my personal tiki room in my basement over the last year. Well, it is finished. You can see the progress at this link , or jump to page 4 for the final pictures. Now of course, the burning issue is when to host the grand opening party.....stay tuned.

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-05 5:50 pm   Permalink

Amazing pics Zulu!!! I love the step by step stuff. Can't wait to see it in person.

Dale,

Did you end up going to Retroville? I was there long enough to check out the art but I was not going to stand in line for an hour just for a cocktail, so I pretty much booked.

Finally....

There are some exciting new mugs from Tiki Farm at my store ( Total Beverage Westminster 93rd & Sheridan ).

Exotiki ( New and it will hold one hell of a big drink )
The Sqrewed-Up Squll ( Dive into a Zombie!! )
Triple Header ( Way Cool! )
NEW GLAZE! GOON
Tron the Beachcomber
Radar Vic Tiki Mug
Don Ho's Suck 'em Up Glass ( The PERFECT Mai Tai glass! )
NEW COLOR! "Drei Moai" Footed Tiki Mug

Can't beat the low prices with a free rewards card!!!

Hope you are all ready for a crazy cool and Tikiriffic summer.

T.F.

Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-05 7:12 pm   Permalink

Fink- how was the art? I found out about the event on Sunday having just got back from New England on Saturday. Went to Kowloon and Tiki Island. Will share images soon.

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation