FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving swap piece update!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
swap piece update!!
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 10:47 pm   Permalink

hahahaha. i haven't had time to touch it in a few weeks. i got it and had some fun for awhile and downloaded some tutorials. then work got in the way. i think i could make some cool stuff with zballs.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 7:06 pm   Permalink

here's the latest on the whale tail hook. i hope this still qualifies as tiki.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 8:28 pm   Permalink

man all your work looks great. love it.
that tail on there is awsome. so uniquie!
great stuff

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 9:01 pm   Permalink

thanks, duddy. that's very nice of you. i'm glad you're sticking around. sometimes it gets hard for younger people. you're doing great.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 05:39 am   Permalink

Definitely getting those curves down nice and tight. I Like this direction perry!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 12:20 am   Permalink

how can i make these better? when viewed under the magnifier i carve with there are bumps and pits. do i need better tools? what am i doing wrong? help me ben kanobi, you're my only hope.

this isn't wet, by the way. it's just that shiny. i wish it looked that good up close.

mahalo

oh, that's a dime behind it.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2007-01-12 00:24 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 09:07 am   Permalink

These guys are looking great Pdrake. The only way I see to make them better is #1, Make More of them, #2, Accentuate that center raised line and make sure your lines are continuous without being "Lumpy" looking, and #3, Make More of them!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-16 7:22 pm   Permalink

picked up some new jade. this is wyoming almost 1/2" thick.

it's pretty sweet looking. i hope it carves nice.

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-17 12:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-12 00:20, pdrake wrote:
how can i make these better? when viewed under the magnifier i carve with there are bumps and pits. do i need better tools? what am i doing wrong? help me ben kanobi, you're my only hope.

---

Young Jade-Jedi: Be mindful of your tools...

Im guessing that you are still doing most/all of your shaping with your handpiece?.. If so this will probably be where/why you are having trouble getting an even surface. Using small burrs to achieve 'large' surfaces/shaping is a tall order for anyone. You really need to set yourself up a diamond grinding wheel ('periperal' or flat). The much larger surface area & the action of holding the stone against the wheel (as opposed to scrubbing the burrs against the stone) gives far greater cutting power & a broader cutting-'stroke', making smoother surfaces. Does this make sence?

Despite the ripple, your polish looks great. A fairly high polish? Did you buff with tin-oxide?

The new slab looks nice too. I think working on something thicker might just be what the doctor ordered for you... My advice; plan something 'Epic' for it. I believe a big/impressive carving (that wont break on you) is a good learning project for a beginner & is a cool/substantial/satisfying thing to keep for the future.

"May the Quartz be with You..." T3-PO

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 7:25 pm   Permalink

fred flintstone inspired moai work in progress . . . .

Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-18 7:44 pm   Permalink

Homer Simpson?

DOH!

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 7:45 pm   Permalink

Inspired by Grog?

D'oh!

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 7:51 pm   Permalink

i thought about that, but no, i just wanted to do a moai with a big upperbite and i thought it was more flinstone-ish. he's the moai that sits on the outer edge of the field and goes, "heeyuck!"

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-19 03:48 am   Permalink

GrogMoai!

Lookin good too!

Keep goin!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-19 04:12 am   Permalink

Homer-moai begun very well.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation