FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving swap piece update!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
swap piece update!!
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-24 02:41 am   Permalink

Grog not gay just terminally bald. Grog has stubble. Pdrake, nice going keep up the nice work and keep us posted.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-24 11:11 am   Permalink

That stone looks tough to do, it did look like you were using an angle grinder on it and it looked like it was barely scratching it, is it tough to work with?

When I get stressed from work or whatever, carving helps take my mind off of what ever is bother me. There is nothing like firing up the chainsaw or banging on some chisels to release some frustration and focus on something else.

Keep up the carving and post more.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-24 11:31 am   Permalink

nice work, pd. i'm glad to see you jumped back on that horse. wher did you score that jade? i'm sorry to read of your relationship problem, but hang tough and sumpin better will be coming along. don't forget i'm still hoping for a maori pendant. mahalo braddah, bullet

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-24 6:21 pm   Permalink

thanks everyone. it really helps to hear all the good mana. i picked up a couple of pieces of stone from work from our floral dept. we use it in centerpieces. not sure if it's jade, if it is, it's a low quality stone. lots of inclusions. it's hard to work with because it takes time. stone doesn't come off like wood. takes a lot of patience. i'm using diamond bits and stone bits right now. it's just to test the water, so to say. wood is still my first love, just saw a couple of nice rocks sitting around.

mahalo nui loa

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-24 9:11 pm   Permalink

Hey pdrake.
Like Paipo says, you really have to have water running constantly on handpiece burrs (& diamond burrs are the only way to go with stone!)
A very simple solution is to hold your work in a shallow dish of water & kind of work underwater, but tends to be very splashy... The simplest 'system' is to fill a large bucket with water & have a thin hose/tube fitted at the bottom (via rubber grommet) which you suspend 5-10 inches over your workstation... Thanks to gravity & a small hole (say, 1/4 inch tubing) there is just a steady dribble which should last a few hours. You then just take handpiece & work to the water... I like to work on a small wooden block, which doesnt mark the stone. If you can set all this up over a sink/tub is the best way -youll probably need some sort of splash-guard too...

Good luck! T3

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-24 9:28 pm   Permalink

heh, i've got a tub i've been thinking of using. i have access to stuff at work and i think i'll go with a very small submersible pump. put a little hose on it and sit it inside the tub. things are coming along pretty well right now with the dip method for roughing it out. i'll post pics tomorrow night.

thanks again.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-24 9:39 pm   Permalink

okay, here's tonight's work. tired now and have to get up early to shave off the 4 day stubble.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-25 10:53 pm   Permalink

okay, no love today. oh, well.

i'm going to carve everyday if it kills me.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-25 10:55 pm   Permalink

oh, advice is more than welcome. i do know about the bits and the water. working on that problem. no worries, mate.

and that's one of my fez's for the photo background. i think it sets off the green well.

Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-25 11:13 pm   Permalink

Nice progress!!
Can you bring it to the carving seminar so I can see it in person??

The whole gay thing explains why GROG walks on all fours

I love you man !!

[ This Message was edited by: Moki 2006-09-25 23:14 ]

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-25 11:34 pm   Permalink

yes, i was planning on bringing it and another piece of stone it was carved from. the stone i got was free from work, but i'm pretty sure that anyone could buy it. we buy it by the pound and i think it's around $18/lb. so if someone wanted stoned of this quality, would be very affordable for carving. i hope it finishes off well.

i think making things from rough material that is inexepensive is as improtant as making the rare, gem peices. it might cut the cost down a little. it still takes the same amount of time to carve (a lot i'm finding out), but the initial cost doesn't pass on and mistakes/learning are not as severe.

i'm learning more and more everytime i carve with this. i now understand the prices these pieces command, especially when they're done with a rare gemstone.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-09-26 12:03 am   Permalink

Alright Moki, don't make GROG come down there!
Oh wait, GROG coming down there for carving seminar.
Never mind.

Looking good Pdrake, keep it up.

GROG means the carving people!
Dammitall, GROG just can't win.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-26 12:08 am   Permalink

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-26 12:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-25 22:53, pdrake wrote:

i'm going to carve everyday if it kills me.

It won't - believe me, I've tried. I'd estimate I carved all but 2 or 3 days in the last 4-5 weeks. I got dizzy a couple of times, but that was about it.
As for the stone, it must be something half decent if it's $18/lb, that's a semi-precious rough price...you could get near gem grade British Columbian jade for that (we can here anyway). Can you backlight your piece?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-26 1:02 pm   Permalink

Hey pdrake - it looks great! Would you want to trade a walnut log for a chunk of that stuff? (I'm mailing the log on Thursday, hopefully). Keep carving - forget the girl for a while.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation