FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving swap piece update!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
swap piece update!!
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-03 9:46 pm   Permalink

here's the latest set.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-03 10:12 pm   Permalink

Looking good P! Are you going to do any surface patterning? (be sure to show us the occasional translucency shot too!)

Paipo made a good point back there; almost all holes I make (over about 5mm) are started with a smaller burr & progressively widened out. Also as mentioned, several burrs may be utilised to create a particular element. When I first started carving jade, someone told me that I should be aiming to use the biggest or best-fitting tool at any paticular time. It took a couple of years for that to really take on any meaning &/or gain the confidence to experiment with the concept. The fact that 'once its gone, its gone' can be a bit off-putting & there is a tendancy to 'doodle' about with burrs too small for the task. Not the end of the world, but using the 'right' tool can save much time & will generally produce a better/cleaner result. Finding the right tool is a matter of practice/experience & personal preference.

All that said, you're doing it dude. You're carving jade! Wahoo.

Keep it up!
Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-03 10:52 pm   Permalink

yes, it will have the surface detail. i had a pretty big piece break on me last week. it kind of changed my whole attitude on carving jade. i just have to do it. (i am nervous about the NZ nephrite)

well, that and the 600 grit burrs i got are helping. plus the micro motor and the foot pedal.

thanks tama.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 1:18 pm   Permalink

here's one with the sun behind it.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 7:02 pm   Permalink

more work today . . .

flynny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 11:37 pm   Permalink

These are going to be sweet PD, I got some tiny pieces of Jade with similar markings.
Great work
Regards
Flynny

View Profile of flynny Send a personal message to flynny  Email flynny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 01:03 am   Permalink

Nice one pdrake. Looks like you're getting a good finish & your flat areas look nice and smooth.

T3

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 07:07 am   Permalink

Perry, theres just No Stopping you now is there. You are creating some really nice stuff, and Different too. I Love it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zombiepops
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-07 08:20 am   Permalink

wow pdrake, those just look awesome.

View Profile of zombiepops Send a personal message to zombiepops      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flynny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 08:53 am   Permalink

PD Do you ever have a problem holding these pieces. i got a jewellers vice but even that is too large sometimes.
Regards
Flynny

View Profile of flynny Send a personal message to flynny  Email flynny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 09:28 am   Permalink

thanks everyone. i'm hoping to have the inlays done tonight providing i have power.

sometimes it gets tough to hold them. i've had pieces fly out of my fingers and both thumbs and forefingers are getting a little chewed up. the nails get ground out chunks, too. i don't run the bits too fast, so i don't really get burned with diamond bits.

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 6:55 pm   Permalink

What's this? Moais amongst the Maoris? Actually they are quite welcome! - Opened my mail this morning to find a few of those Moai chicklets & a bigger brother! Thanks pdrake; my tiki-room just got a little richer!! *I have another question, check PM...

---

In regards to a question from Flynny above; I almost always hold work by hand & brace it against a small block of wood (6 x 3.5 x 2.5"). The only time I will use the bench vice is to hold the work when using sanding strips to clean up internal holes. Never whilst carving...

Yep, the old fingers/nails suffer a bit. It was always funny to check the fingers of the jade students after the first week carving. Its pretty hard (but not impossible) to damage skin on the diamond wheels/blades but nails are brittle enough to be abraided away in seconds! Do enough sanding & you'll wear the skin on the tips of your fingers clean away though; especially when using mechanical means to sand. You dont know pain until youve sanded a hole right through the centre of a fingernail - yikes!

Bryan Adams would be proud of your committment! ?

Tama

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-08 3:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-04 19:02, pdrake wrote:
more work today . . .

Very nice symetry between the two. I know what you mean about the nails taking a beating though, I thought I was the only one. How did you cut them out?

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 8:42 pm   Permalink

thanks, i cut them out with a small diamond wheel on a flex shaft hand piece.

i'm so glad i got my electricity back. stupid breaker was a special order part. finally able to start back on these. put the inlays in tonight. they're so beautiful i cried a little.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2007-03-13 20:42 ]

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 9:22 pm   Permalink

well, it might have been too much for me.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2007-03-14 21:22 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation