FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving swap piece update!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
swap piece update!!
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 9:41 pm   Permalink

oh, this is siberian (russian) jade. it's super hard and doesn't have the same density throughout. the lines on that are carved in with a 1mm burr. it's getting better, but my hand is really starting to cramp up. maybe i'm getting old.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 10:09 pm   Permalink

Dang! PD, you are really pulling off some tight detail work and inlays--looks awesome!!!! That's a cool piece of rock too, I've never heard of it, which doesn't really mean anything-I'm no geologist (or stone carver). You're making it look easy, although I imagine it's not.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 10:14 pm   Permalink

thanks surf! i appreciate it.

it is harder than i thought, the carving that is. the jade gets very rough with the tiny bits. they can't put small diamond dust (600 grit) on the tiny ones i guess, so i have to sand out the tiny grooves. it's proving to be difficult. oh, well, nobody ever said good things come easy.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 10:22 pm   Permalink

What sort of burr are you using for your surface detail?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 10:23 pm   Permalink

a 1mm sphere from hongia.

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 10:45 pm   Permalink

The problem with the little spheres is they tend to catch on any inconsistencies in the stone if you try and do linework. It's hard to get a flowing line - so you get lots of little bumpy divots (unless the stone is very soft). The smaller the sphere (and you're using the smallest) the worse it gets. D1 burrs are also highly prone to breaking when used in this way.
For the sort of engraving you're doing you're probably better off using this type (artist impression):

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 10:50 pm   Permalink

good to know. i have the smallest one of those you can get, also, at 600 grit.

thanks, paipo.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-15 6:12 pm   Permalink

well, here's a shot in the sun. i guess i have lots of work to do.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-15 7:43 pm   Permalink

having so much fun with the pounamu. it's so beautiful and fun to carve. i sat the taiaha earrings aside for the night.

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 12:22 am   Permalink

What have I done?? Soon we'll be overrun with talented stoners & I will have done myself out of a job, doh!

Looking good pdrake, I like the paua inlays and Im sure this latest lil Moai will be a wee character too. Keep us posted.

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 7:15 pm   Permalink

so, i'm making these earrings. they are fashioned based on a traditional maori short club called a mere. as a rule the rangatira carried both a short club and a long club. they were carried in a belt, sometimes made of dog fur. they were made to crush the skull of an opponant in close quarter combat. in addition to belts, dog fur was used to make cloaks which, during battle were wrapped around the arm and used as a parrying device, but what do i know. i'm not maori.

anyway . . .

these are not authentic. they are small and will not crush an opponants skull. in no way did i mean to recreate an authentic piece.

okay, what do others think? should i put paua (new zealand abolone, from the family haliotis iris, but what do i know?) inlays in them? do you think they need it?

well, thanks for looking.

kia ora! (can i say that since i'm not maori?)

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 7:57 pm   Permalink

I Like the little clubs, yoo could use them on spiders! The Moai looks like he will be Cool/ The earrings with the inlay I'm not sure about yet. You have the basic shape ground out Nicely and the eye inlay is Nice, but I can see the rest of it is giving you trouble. Stop and think on it awhile and test new methods on scrap pieces then go to it. I Know you and you WILL Find a Way! Keep up the great work

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 8:01 pm   Permalink

thanks, ben. that's exactly where i'm at with those pieces, and why i went on to the moai and the meres. they are both out of pounamu and such a pleasure to carve. the taiaha will be there when i'm ready.

TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-16 9:01 pm   Permalink

Nice works pdrake!
Careful braddah you gonna go blind play'n with these itty bitty thangs... Ya need to go out, find ya a nice tall giant redwood and give it a go?!! CARVE something Grand, Huge, GIGANTIMUS so that all may see and FEAR!!!

well, maybe not...earrings are nice too!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 9:14 pm   Permalink

just so everyone knows, i'm an incredible smartass. i mean no disrespect to any culture here. i work on the things i find beautiful, fascinating and challenging. i'm genuine, honest and about as subtle as a wet fart.

maori culture, history and art is one of the things i'm most interested in right now, and has been for some time. i have moari friends here and they are great, wonderful, brave people. i would stand with them in battle. (i actually have.)

i have no less respect for other cultures at all, it was just something i wanted to put out into the universe. i'm currently watching "once were warriors" and needed to express that.

sincerely,
perry

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation