FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving swap piece update!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
swap piece update!!
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 8:37 pm   Permalink

thanks. i just want you to know how much this thread does help me. it goes beyond the carving.

i'm okay gman. obstacles have come up a little more the past couple of days, but it's going to work out.

thanks again on the jade. i feel kind of dopey carving the chines stuff, but it was just sitting around the shop. oh, well. i'll get some real stuff soon enough. i have some ideas and plenty of the cheapie, diamond bits. i guess i can affor a few dollars a month to buy the sets, hehe.

mahalo nui loa.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-29 8:31 pm   Permalink

well, no stone tonight. i'm waiting for a delivery of sandpaper. i don't have anything finer than 600 grit. can you believe i can't find anything above that in town? in vegas? sheesh.

here's another piece i'm working on. it's ebony. hard stuff. smells funny, too.

thanks for looking. i'm not giving up on the stone. i hope to get some good jade soon.

oh, and in case anyone is interested, i thought this was a good deal:

http://woodenpost.com/products/Abrasives_Sanding.htm

the 4 pack with all the grits.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2006-09-29 20:49 ]

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones

Posted: 2006-09-29 8:59 pm   Permalink

pdrake, nice carves with da Moai's...but I tell ya, the "Kilt & Conquistador" from a few days ago is freak'n me out dude! They almost look real! Are they to scale?

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-29 9:13 pm   Permalink

That ebony piece is very nice! What's it smell like?

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-29 9:22 pm   Permalink

spicey, smoked barbecue. kind of has a little sweetness to it. if you walked out to smell your flower garden while your neighbor was barbecuing. of course, that's while you carve and the wood burns with the burr. it's all power tools with wood this hard.

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-30 08:11 am   Permalink

Yeah! Power toolz! More power!!!! BRRRRRRRRRRRP! Man, I miss my 36" bar saw! Benzo was telling me about his 6 foot bar saw that he used on the Tropicana redwood tikis. That conversation got me scratchin' for a new saw.

I'm loving watching you make these pieces pdrake. "Pain makes great art" - and I imagine much of your healing will be through the pieces you make in the next few months. These will likely be some of your best work. Keep your head down and keep grinding - you'll find your way eventually.....

Make sure to wear protective gear, especially with the stone and those exotic woods. Remember, as I was told, "if you can smell it, you are breathing it."

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 05:09 am   Permalink

How large is that ebony piece? I had a few sticks that were 1" square by 6" long thet I got from Woodcraft, are the same? Nice looking wood when cleaned up.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 12:53 pm   Permalink

The 1" pieces of wood you get from Woodcraft are actually "pen blanks". Also search for Bowl Blanks (larger pieces) - both of these a common and easily found. You can get just about any type of wood in these blanks. I have found them cheaper on ebay and googling.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 3:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-28 19:49, pdrake wrote:
well, i guess i should get some real jade then if i'm going to put in the time to carve it.

is this a good deal?

That was a good deal, but I wouldn't recommend Siberian to a beginner as it's amongst the hardest jade I've ever carved, and a lot of it is prone to splintering along the grain if you haven't got the right gear and a bit of experience. As Tama mentioned, BC jade is cheap, plentiful, high quality and nice to work with. Here's some good ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DJAD-1-35-LBS-GREEN-NEPHRITE-JADE-ROUGH-B-C-LAPIDARY_W0QQitemZ140036476329QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4841QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/DJAD-GREEN-NEPHRITE-JADE-SLAB-ROUGH-B-C-LAPIDARY_W0QQitemZ140036470643QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4841QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just search for b.c. lapidary , also wyoming jade looks really nice from what I've see/worked. you will need to be able to cut this rough down into workable portions, maybe get ahold of your local rockhound/lapidary club. generally

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 6:03 pm   Permalink

got my siberian jade today. man, this stuff is heavy.

ben, that ebony is a pen blank. i get them off of ebay pretty cheap. it makes a good size pendant.

here's a little something i'm trying. no experience whatsoever. i'm hoping to succeed on some level.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 7:01 pm   Permalink

this is a little more difficult than i thought it would be. but, i'm learning.

first try:

second try:

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 7:54 pm   Permalink

PDrake it usually takes a few pours to get the mold "Broken in" so keep at it. Lookin good. I Knew you'd be feelin better soon. Bring some of that chinese stuff to the seminar, I'd like to try it.
You can get the finer grits up to 2000 at WalMart believe it or not. If they are out then go to the automotive shops. All the paint shops use the higher grits for their paint work so go that route too.
See you soon.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 7:58 pm   Permalink

Thats a kool surreal tiki man

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-05 19:01, pdrake wrote:
this is a little more difficult than i thought it would be. but, i'm learning.
second try:

Pdrake personally gave me a casting at the Sat. 'Oki 'Oki. Sunday morning I made it mine and brought it to the Sun. 'Oki 'Oki.
This is it.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-03 07:53 am   Permalink

Hey Pdrake, Thanks big time for the slab of Jade, can't wait to get into it, Oh and the wood to, that Macaser Ebony is Beautiful stuff.
I really enjoyed spending time with you last weekend, are you back to carving anything yet?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation