FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving swap piece update!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
swap piece update!!
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 11:08 pm   Permalink

here's my first jade piece finished. thanks for all the help. it really, uh . . . helped. hehehe

i'm going to put this one up for sale. if anyone is interested, pm me.

the toggles are a lot of work, believe it or not.

sorry, sold.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2006-11-15 20:34 ]

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 11:48 pm   Permalink

Way to go pdrake! How about a pic showing the translucency? Ive never actually worked with that particular type, looks really clean/clear..?

The toggles are surprisingly time-consuming, eh? One quick way to bang a few out at a time is to cut slices from slabs, say 1/4" thick. Then round these strips off into long 'rods', cut them into toggle-sized pieces & finish. I often cut 1/2doz at a time & then shape each a bit better.

Another Brother ROCK ON!! Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 06:52 am   Permalink

Perry, That guy looks great and again the pictures Don't do it Justice. I held this guy in my hands and it is Very Well done, very translucent. Excellent job Perry.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-09 8:48 pm   Permalink

new jade work in progress. ko matai!

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-09 9:07 pm   Permalink

Nice Job on the jade moai AND doing casting work as well! Great to see your heart & mind pouring into your creationz! I look forward to seeing more!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 9:35 pm   Permalink

i know some are wondering if i'm carving or not. i'm doing little things like cleaning tools and braiding lanyards. started a new piece of jade tonight. some from the left coast oki oki saw this piece. it's about 1/4" thick. takes awhile to get threough it with my crappy chinese bits. can't wait for the good ones.

it's BC jade. nice and deep green. too bad the pic looks bad.

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-14 10:02 pm   Permalink

Yo PDrake! Where you been? Long time no hear!? Ever get the log?

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-11-14 22:04 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 10:37 pm   Permalink

i'm still around. haven't had much to contribute. i really enjoy looking and getting inspired. i got your log, it has a neat personality. heh. i'll post a pic. it's in my old truck, i bought a new one and am dealing with the sticker shock along with other things.

thanks for the the thoughts.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2006-11-14 22:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2006-11-14 22:38 ]

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 11:46 pm   Permalink

i don't know which kiwi told me bc jade was softer, but they are full of poo. this took a full hour and a half to cut that much. hoohoo, lots of jade dust going into lake mead.

those aren't the white pencil lines anymore, they're grooves. i'm in the groove, baby.

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 01:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-14 23:46, pdrake wrote:
i don't know which kiwi told me bc jade was softer, but they are full of poo. this took a full hour and a half to cut that much. hoohoo,

Tama sez: Wasn't me! Good quality BC nephrite is among the best in the world & plenty hard...

A+++ Top marks for effort & perseverance!!!

*A cheap solution to the 'trimming' out phase is a tilesaw with a diamond blade. The time you'd save would pay for itself in the first piece or two...

**On second thoughts, save it until next time. This is just too much fun to watch!

TamaTheTeaser...

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 04:47 am   Permalink

PDrake, This one is looking good and is very clearly going to be a nice piece. is this some of the Jade you got off e-bay?
I'm really glad to see you carving!.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 07:57 am   Permalink

hey, ben, yes, this is the ebay stuff. it's a sister piece to the slab i gave you.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 8:22 pm   Permalink

before and after shots with only half roughed out.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 10:35 pm   Permalink

wow, it's hard, hard stuff. i need better bits.

my little water carving setup.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-20 6:19 pm   Permalink

hard, hard stuff.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation