FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving swap piece update!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
swap piece update!!
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-20 7:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-20 18:19, pdrake wrote:
hard, hard stuff.

Tama sez: You've taken the hard, hard route with it too! In fact, you are almost learning the 'pre-contact' Maori way. Nothing wrong with a bit of hard work, just makes the finished product all the sweeter!

Good progress pdrake, keep us posted.

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-21 12:16 am   Permalink

hi pdrake im loveing your work keep at it and take care

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-21 6:00 pm   Permalink

thank you very much. it seemed that it was going a little slow. i guess i need to ramp up my tool corral.

your stuff amazes me marcus.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-21 7:40 pm   Permalink

Lookin good Perry, That hard stuff takes awhile with hand tools, but you are knocking it right out, bit by bit. From the looks of that diamond it is running too fast or does not have enough cooling water run over it while it is drilling OR it is one of those cheepie bits like I have that don't lasst too long.
Keep up the good work PDrake.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-21 8:16 pm   Permalink

thanks, ben. yes, they are the very cheap bits. $3 or 4 for a set of 10 from harbour freight. i haven't figured out tama's deal, so i still need to order the good ones. is there a better speed i should use? i'm using my dremel at 15,000 rpms.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-21 9:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-21 20:16, pdrake wrote:
thanks, ben. yes, they are the very cheap bits. $3 or 4 for a set of 10 from harbour freight. i haven't figured out tama's deal, so i still need to order the good ones. is there a better speed i should use? i'm using my dremel at 15,000 rpms.

15,000 rpm is fine. I go up to 50,000 & hear of compressed air tools going up to 200,000 or something silly like that. Uneccesary really & potentially lethal, well nasty... Its just as helpful to be able to go slow; the latter stages of carving 'dry-burring', I often go over the whole form at 5-10,000 Running dry any faster than this is asking to overheat & ruin your burrs...

Hope this helps. Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 7:05 pm   Permalink

new bits . . . .

much better.

bite deeper.

smooth faster.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 9:09 pm   Permalink

new moai pendant. it's a big one, so you need the cones to wear it. it's made from padouk. nice, hard, sweet smelling wood. should finish up niiiiice.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 10:09 pm   Permalink

man, i could try and try to explain, but it wouldn't do any good. this stuff is [bold]hard[/bold].

it takes soo long to carve it. i need new tools.

i do love to see it done, though. wish it was now, still hours and hours to go.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2006-12-01 22:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2006-12-01 22:10 ]

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-04 9:56 pm   Permalink

grrrr . . . i'm mad nobody likes me . . .

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-04 10:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-01 22:09, pdrake wrote:
this stuff is hard.

it takes soo long to carve it. i need new tools.

i do love to see it done, though. wish it was now, still hours and hours to go.

Dont give up on it now mate - the hard yards have surely been tackled, the end is in sight! But, yes, you do really need new tools if you intend to do any more jade... Well not new tools exactly, but more tools. Specifically, a diamond grinding wheel. This + the handpiece would see you banging them out. A cheap tilesaw with diamond blade would get things moving initially too.

Confucious once said "If the job calls for pliers, it's no good using tweezers". Actually it wasnt Confucious, but in a toilet-side book I once browsed, but the message is just as relevant!

Stick with it this time - you nearly dere!

Tama

SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 11:05 am   Permalink

PDrake,

Nice Moai!! I like the animated nature of your creation., The frowning lips are killer. How big is it? It looks like you might have to be a giant to wear it around you neck.

Will

View Profile of SCTikiShack Send a personal message to SCTikiShack  Email SCTikiShack Goto the website of SCTikiShack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 5:36 pm   Permalink

I have been watching that jade hook with interest. I have some jade and the same inexpensive set of bits you have I've been leery of starting, because it looks so difficult to cut. How many hours do you think you have into it?

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 6:13 pm   Permalink

thanks for the kind words and the encouragement.

the moai is pretty big. i don't know why, i just thought it would be neat to do a big piece from this wood. it smells like sandalwood. i'm going to work some more on it and post another pic tonight. it's 4" tall.

johnny, the jade is hard. i tried with my cheap bits, but it gets frustrating quick. the bits grind down fast. i've got about 6 hours into it. most of that was with the cheap bits. the new ones i got are very nice, i bought a set off amazon for about $30, i can't wait to get my shipment from NZ and try those. they grind better and much smoother.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 9:01 pm   Permalink

grrr . . . now i'm angry and drunk!! sand me some more you lazy ass!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation