[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel American Museum of Natural History has Tikis
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
American Museum of Natural History has Tikis
populuxe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-28 3:10 pm   Permalink

I went to the American Museum of Natural History in New York City to see the Dinosaurs. They were amazing, but I was even more blown away when I happened upon the Pacific Peoples exhibition. I walked into the hall, towards the back was a huge Easter Island Moai. (insert chorus here). I am a huge tiki fan, I immediately went towards the sculpture and gave him a big hug. The exhibit is a must-see for any tiki collector. Check out photos on my blog http://populuxebooks.com/blog/index.php/2006/09/27/american_museum_of_natural_history_tikis

[ This Message was edited by: populuxe 2006-09-28 15:11 ]

View Profile of populuxe Send a personal message to populuxe  Email populuxe Goto the website of populuxe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 3:14 pm   Permalink

I saw that link on your blog yesterday! How big is the collection there? Is it pretty much covered in the photos on your blog, or is there more?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 3:56 pm   Permalink

What do you think that Moai is made out of. Its not real is it. Looks to perfect in surface and coloring.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
populuxe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-28 6:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks for checking out my blog. There are hundreds of tikis and carvings you will be drooling over! The Moai is huge! I believe he is the real deal, solid lava rock. It was amazing!

View Profile of populuxe Send a personal message to populuxe  Email populuxe Goto the website of populuxe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-10-01 9:51 pm   Permalink

The natural history museum does have a very large collection of south pacific art. To my wife's chagrin, I spent some time in the rather out-of -the-way exhibit trying to photgraph as much as I could for carving reference. The artifacts are all the real deal with a sample from just about every island nation in the south pacific. They had quite a few PNG masks, marquesin tikis, and maori carvings. I'll see if I can post pics in a bit.

The Moai is not the real deal, I don't believe it's even lava rock. I remember it sounding more plastic-y when I knocked on it.

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
populuxe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-03 06:07 am   Permalink

I asked my friend who has been to Easter Island to look at the pix and he said if he had to guess, he would say it's a fake. However, he thinks he read an article about it and apparently, it is real and although one of the smaller Moai from Easter Island it is very rare, because it is one of the only ones removed from the island.

Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-17 11:30 pm   Permalink

If it's in a museum and they let you touch it, it's probably not the real thing.

But that begs the question - are there any actual moai on display outside of Rapa Nui? If so, where?

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-18 5:02 pm   Permalink

There is one at the Smithsonian museum of natural history in Washington, D.C. This is what it looked like a couple of years ago.

[ This Message was edited by: Fugu 2006-10-18 17:08 ]

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-18 8:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Fugu - now that bugger really looks like he's been sitting outside for a couple hundred years. I'd tend to believe he's the real thing.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-18 8:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-17 23:30, Koolau wrote:
are there any actual moai on display outside of Rapa Nui? If so, where?

The Moai in the museum in NYC is fake.

I was there in May and photographed it extensively.

Populuxe is right about one thing - the Pacific Islands wing in the museum is pretty amazing.

As for Koolau's question... well, let's just say that you may want to cross your fingers for Big Stone Head to get published already (if for no other reason than so the rest of you can have the relief of hearing me stop whining about it), and your question will be answered in a LOT of detail, with photos, dates, locations...

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 03:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-17 23:30, Koolau wrote:
If it's in a museum and they let you touch it, it's probably not the real thing.

But that begs the question - are there any actual moai on display outside of Rapa Nui? If so, where?

There is a very famous one in the British Museum called Hoa Hakananai'a, which is beautifully carved. I guess most of the in-situ ones on the island looked this good before the ravages of time and weather took their toll. I have a
book they published on him :

We have one here in NZ too at Otago Museum, only a baby and not a particularly flash specimen, especially compared to the chap above, but it is the real deal apparently:

(Pics are linked)

[ This Message was edited by: Paipo 2007-04-23 01:21 ]

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 7:22 pm   Permalink

Paipo and tikibars - thanks for the info, and especially for the photo of Hoa Hakananai'a - that is a remarkable moai.

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 1:10 pm   Permalink

Natural History
Journal of The American Museum of Natural History
May 1935

Mystery Island of the Pacific

These are most of the images from the article. The text was standard history and information.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 2:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-28 15:10, populuxe wrote:
I went to the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, towards the back was a huge Easter Island Moai. (insert chorus here). I am a huge tiki fan, I immediately went towards the sculpture and gave him a big hug...

YOU DUM DUM!!! GIMME GUM GUM...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Staredge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 4:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-18 17:02, Fugu wrote:
There is one at the Smithsonian museum of natural history in Washington, D.C. This is what it looked like a couple of years ago.

[ This Message was edited by: Fugu 2006-10-18 17:08 ]

Here he is last Wednesday. He's been moved to the Constitution Street entrance.

As you can see, the information plaques are somewhat smaller. Was on a class trip with my son, so I didn't get to see if there was anything else in the museum.

View Profile of Staredge Send a personal message to Staredge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation