Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Introducing.... Arkiva Tropika
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 8:39 pm   Permalink

Aloha all !

I am so happy to introduce my new website, Arkiva Tropika :

www.arkivatropika.com

An online archive of my paper ephemera collection, Arkiva Tropika celebrates not just Polynesian Pop, but also the classic heyday of all tropical (& tropical themed) restaurants, hotels, bars, etc. From Florida to Fiji, from Haiti to Hawaii, from Seattle to Samoa, Arkiva Tropika was created as a way to both share and organize my collection.

It consists of largely of mostly pre-1970 menus, yet also includes postcards, photos, brochures, matchbooks, napkins, and other paper ephemera from tropical/exotic themed environments. Arkiva Tropika is about the classic island imagery, especially in regards to tourism of yesteryear.

So please check out the site and let me know what you think. I will try to add images and info there on a regular basis ( if not daily ).

This website wouldn't be possible without the creative and computer-savvy genius of my good friend Humuhumu, who was enthusiastic about the project from the very start of our early conversations about it last year. She created a website for me that not only showcases the collection with ease, but its simply gorgeous to look at....MANY MANY thanks, Humuhumu !

Also, many thanks to Hanford & Tiki Central for providing the inspiration to contribute something where I can share all the random finds & great eye candy that I find, with everyone who has an interest. I have learned so much from this forum, and have met so many wonderful folks... its been a treat to have such an outlet, to share common interests with so many diverse people from all over...

I hope that you enjoy Arkiva Tropika, and please check there often, for constant additions & updates from my collection.

Mahalo !

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 8:44 pm   Permalink

This is amazing!

I can't wait to give it a good and thorough exploration.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 8:48 pm   Permalink

What a remarkable website. Great design! Awesome content! Truly a tiki treasure.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 9:03 pm   Permalink

I'm so very, very honored that puamana asked me to develop this site for her. For those of you out there who have been lucky enough to see her collection (or, attempt to -- it's simply massive), you know how overwhelming and beautiful it is, and it was a fun challenge to try to create a site that would do it justice visually, and also make it accessible.

I'm seriously looking forward to getting lost in Arkiva Tropika on a regular basis, daydreaming about what it would have been like to be at those places back then....

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 10:22 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-17 17:36 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 10:31 pm   Permalink

I can see that this will be hours of fun...great collection and great site too!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
makutiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-29 04:03 am   Permalink

WAO!!! Its just like looking inside a whole new BOT!
Superb site!!

[ This Message was edited by: makutiki 2006-09-29 04:25 ]

View Profile of makutiki Send a personal message to makutiki  Goto the website of makutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-29 04:42 am   Permalink

Sweet! I recognized Humuhumu's work right away.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-29 05:08 am   Permalink

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!

Puamana and Humuhumu desrve the Tiki Eye Candy Award!!!!! Simply stunning!!!!

Lots of menu's I have never seen before like..."Johnny's Tiki Hut" or "Trader Ku's" or "Trader Engs." Amazing!!!!

Congratulations on a job well done!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-29 06:22 am   Permalink

Wow! Who needs a BoT 2 when we now have this site! It is a great refreshing reminder of just what I love about Poly Pop. I have had it mind to do just this sort of site for a while.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tedtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-29 06:28 am   Permalink

Wow, that is something else. Thanks for sharing that amazing history with us. Thats a definite bookmark for me.

View Profile of tedtiki Send a personal message to tedtiki  Email tedtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-29 08:13 am   Permalink

This is great! Very well done. Congrats to you both on an excellent job and thanks for making all these terrific images available for all of us to see. I'll be looking forward to your updates!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-29 08:28 am   Permalink

Congratulations Puamana! Thanks for sharing your amazing collection with us!!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiriffic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-29 08:42 am   Permalink

what a treat!

View Profile of tikiriffic Send a personal message to tikiriffic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-29 08:48 am   Permalink

That's quite a collection...so many images I've never seen before. You should publish a book! Thanks for sharing...I'm already addicted.

And as usual, beautiful website design.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2006-09-29 08:49 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation