FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Tips for Hukilau first-timers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tips for Hukilau first-timers
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 05:37 am   Permalink

I love worms (especially sauteed with butter) they taste like chewey chicken.

[ This Message was edited by: rugbymatt 2006-10-03 05:37 ]

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 05:52 am   Permalink

make sure to get a cuban sandwich.

and there are wild parrots living in the palmtrees on the beach. they are way cool if you like that sort of thing.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 08:36 am   Permalink

Has no one posted about sunscreen? When I come visit my mom, I have to slather myself or else that Florida sun cooks me like a microwave.

This will be my first Hukilau, but I'm a long-time Visitor to Fla.

...two more days... ...two more days... ...two more days...

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 09:31 am   Permalink

FOOD! The schedule of seminars leaves little time to get lunch, but it's way important. The talk of pacing yourself is important. I have seen too many people so hung over on day two they had nothing but bad times. A huge help in pacing is a full stomach. A hearty meal before the drinking will keep you on an even keel very well.

Meet people. The very best thing about Hukilau is the people. That's why I was willing to organize a second and third and forth Hukilau and why I want to go: the great people. I love the Mai Kai like crazy and "I Belli di Waikiki" and all, but the friends are the main thing. Everyone is super friendly and it's easy to make new friends of online buddies. Best bunch of folks of any event I was ever involved in.

The Tuna Melt at the Cabana is fantastic! And they have restroom atendants there too, if you wonder who that person is in the bathroom.

The ocean is warm!

The water taxi is a very fun trip with lots of info about the homes and history. Get on and take a loop if you have the time.

The Mai Kai opens at 5PM. This is their slow season, so it is not unusual for them to be closed by 11PM on a week night. If you are thinking you will run out there for a few rounds after the shows, better check first or you may be wasting your time.

Oh, and bring along a mug of your own liking that you can carry around all weekend and drink out of wherever you party. That adds to the ambience and keeps folks from going through hundreds of those damn red plastic cups! You won't lose your drink either. Pack you vessel!

Swank Blather
- Talkin' atcha

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2006-10-03 09:35 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 09:37 am   Permalink

If you see the Haole Kats (or any of the other bands) lugging gear - they will accept your help.
They also accept cigarette butts, scraps of cloth and glasses filled with alcohol.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 09:49 am   Permalink

One more thing... the wahines should always be dressed in their most revealing biki....OWWWWW.... <head slapped by wife>...
never mind.

And another thing... when you're at the Mai Kai and you hear a gong ring.. it's Mystery Bowl time. Turn and watch the girl dance but even funnier is how mute she leaves every male within a 3 yard proximity. Even the raucous "Cult of The Eye" dudes were speechless and subdued when she finished toying with their souls. That's entertainment.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 09:50 am   Permalink

Re: food.
Yep, it won't fit in your schedule well, but get it in your system any way you can. The little shop across the drive at the Bahia Mar had GREAT sandwiches. I grabbed one plus chips and a soda before heading out to the pretty pretty beach across the street. I plan to do the same Monday

Pack some breakfast bars. Small, flat, don't take up much space. Cheap, fast. You get the picture. Bags of trailmix, etc. I'm all about food on the run at events like this. And anything you pack to eat there leaves you space for merch for the way home!

A BIG second to the bubblewrap suggestion! You canNOT bring too much! And the second suitcase - YES! But check to see how many bags your airline allows; some are down to one 50 lb-er.
My version: I bring a carry-on and a BIG bag (the one I used for 5 weeks in Spain!!), filled with a buncha dresses etc, and mucho bubblewrap. The clothes are knockin' around in there on the flight over....and I have to practically sit on the bag to close it for the trip home.

A poster core is great too, if you tend to buy art. Even if not - there are pieces you will not be expecting to call your name (like the 1940's naked hooker straddling an open-mouthed stuffed tiger, grinning at the camera. I could not resist, even though I have yet to frame/hang her!!).

There's just so much great merch to be found - stuff you had no idea you needed! And so many pieces are frankly underpriced (for the work involved). You will not be able to resist. Trust me.

F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 10:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-03 08:36, Haole'akamai wrote:
Has no one posted about sunscreen? ...

Oh Yeah! And sun glasses!

For those of you flying in, you won't actually see the phenomenon. You see, as you go south you are actually going UP hill because the earth is not perfectly round. Ask Dr. Science, he'll tell you all about it. What this means for you and me, the average Tiki-phile on the street, is that hear in South Florida we are much closer to the sun than most people realize. During the summer the sun takes up the entire daytime sky. Well, that is how it feels after a few minutes with the lawnmower.... So if you plan on enjoying any of the daylight hours outside and away from the bar, bring some sunscreen, some sunglasses, maybe a lead-lined hat, the usual stuff.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 4:56 pm   Permalink

great hints everyone! im cutting n pasting up to the last minute before we depart seattle.

any idea where the closest free wi-fi spot is to the hukilau?

oh and: is there any more of the tiki tequilla left nearby?

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 5:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-03 16:56, dogbytes wrote:
any idea where the closest free wi-fi spot is to the hukilau?

If you're staying at the Bahia Cabana, you get free wi-fi in the rooms. Maybe you can also pick it up in the common areas.

Water. Drink lots of water when consuming lots of alcohol. Nothing brings on a hangover worse than getting dehydrated. I try to drink one glass of water after each cocktail. And take a couple of Ibuprofen before sleeping. (I avoid Tylenol or anything with acetaminophen, as it can cause liver damage when mixed with alcohol. No point in speeding up the process.)

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 6:50 pm   Permalink

Ernesto's 24 Hour Taco Stand!

I belive it's on 17th and Dixie Hwy, but I could be wrong. Maybe a local can confirm the location.

Great late-night munchies to soak up that rum!

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 6:52 pm   Permalink

always thinkin' with your stomach eh Josh?

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 7:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:
And take a couple of Ibuprofen before sleeping. (I avoid Tylenol or anything with acetaminophen, as it can cause liver damage when mixed with alcohol. No point in speeding up the process.)

You are part right. NEVER take Tylenol for a hangover! Tylenol is processed by the liver in the same way as alcohol, so it effectively blocks your liver's ability to process the alcohol and inhibits getting the alcohol out of your system. It prolongs your hangover. And in extreme cases can be fatal, but only if you are to the point of alcohl poisoning.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 7:46 pm   Permalink

My advice is to get a second opinion before any attempt at climbing the palm trees for coconuts...
Especially while you are Intoxicated.....

Cheers!
Brian
The Intoxicators!

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PoisonIvy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-03 8:41 pm   Permalink

Sound advice. Keith had a bit of bad luck.

View Profile of PoisonIvy Send a personal message to PoisonIvy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation