FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Polynesiac Carving a Tiki for GEICO on SUNDANCE!! Pg 7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Polynesiac Carving a Tiki for GEICO on SUNDANCE!! Pg 7
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-01 2:00 pm   Permalink

Nice work. Luv that tiki with the long eyes - that's a killer look! The pirate pendant is really cool. The skull and crossbones on the eyepatch is a really great idea. Would make a great full size tiki I bet.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-01 6:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:
The pirate pendant is really cool. The skull and crossbones on the eyepatch is a really great idea. Would make a great full size tiki I bet.

This picture is for you bigT!! It's an older carving from my old thread with dead links. thanks!!!

Kahaka - same for you bro!! more pics of those sweet lamps! where up at the FI lot sale?

Ben - thanks for the comps, this guy was a little too long in the making, but I'm pleased with the result. I finished your piece too, but I'm a little embarassed to post it. I've turned it sideways, so the side you carved is only showing!!! I need A LOT more practice with that hook knife

Aloha - muchas gracias! more tikis from everyone!

tfreak - You betcha! with patience there will be several versions of this wee fella!

Thanks everyone!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-01 11:18 pm   Permalink

Jim, good seeing you today, all I can say is that tiki is ALL YOU . Now where are them baby Tangs?

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-02 12:31 am   Permalink

You forgot Barney West! To me all your big fellas look like they could have been carved 40 or 50 years ago, but you also put some nice flourishes on them that plant them firmly in the "revival" era. I guess you're channeling the vibe in a similar way to those guys. Needless to say, I like them a lot!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-02 2:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-01 18:58, Polynesiac wrote:
Quote:
The pirate pendant is really cool. The skull and crossbones on the eyepatch is a really great idea. Would make a great full size tiki I bet.

This picture is for you bigT!! It's an older carving from my old thread with dead links. thanks!!!

That's freakin awesome!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-02 4:05 pm   Permalink

Yo, Poly!! That baby T is shapin' up nicely! Cant wait. My Kirby painting needs a 3-D counterpart. That last tiki you just finished looks great. Mad props on the older pirate tiki. The way the bark makes the beard/hair, looks killer. Keep choppin', Bro!

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-02 7:37 pm   Permalink

OK, I guess I'll start posting old, Dead-link pictures too, Yours look pretty great Poly!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-02 8:01 pm   Permalink

Since ya'll are talkin bout the Good ol Days...

Probably my personal favorite:

I reallyreally like this guy

Polynesiac Rocks!

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-03 6:10 pm   Permalink

WOW buzz! thanks for posting those pics - I haven't seen some of those carvings in a while. thank you for the comps!!! that tiki table is one of my favs too. I liked it so much...I kept it! it's in my living room and always surprises people when they take a closer look at it. I still love the tiki I got from you - you got skillz, brother!

Danny - good seeing you too bro. thanks for the encouragement, I'm heading to sears this weekend and am going to start ANOTHER hobby. 'cause i don't have enough already.

Paipo - thanks a million! that's an honor that you see some Barney West in these tikis. I've tried to soak in as much mana from the carvers from the 50's and 60's as I can. I really admire your work too and am looking forward to adding one to my collection. Summers coming for you! how's the float lamp coming?

Ben - ever since the old hosting place switch, TC lost tons of great pictures - I'm sure many of your older posts have lost their pictures too. I was going through the original "carving thread" the other day and was saddened by the loss of those images. Great stuff in that post.

FBalls - I'll be molding the baby tang this weekend...we're getting close!!!!!

Thanks again for the compliments!!! more updates soon!!!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-04 08:06 am   Permalink

Sweet Stuff Jim!! I always love looking at your work!! Like Danny said:"More Baby Tangs"

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 4:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks Scott! sorry it took me over a year to respond to you....

Here's a few things I've been carving:

a 3 foot Tangaroa:

a 4 Foot marquesian:

some detail shots. The little squishy skull:

design carvings:

3.5 footer, "Kaleki" which translates to Grace - the last name of the customer. It was a gift by his children, to remind him of his heritage on Hawaii:

a 4 Foot Hawaiian:

A pendant that I cast and use in our summer classes at the Aquarium. We discuss a little about navigation and talk about how people found their way around before GPS. This, of course, leads to TIKI PAINTING! We take the cast and paint it up! (this summer we are going to use that crayola clay and sculpt our own tikis!):

A little beachcomberish lamp. I've made a few of these already. I've had good response so far:

WOAHAOAH!??!?!? BABY TANG is DONE!!!! Now, the idea was to make a mold and cast a bunch of them and make lamps and stuff from them. That never happened. I totally screwed up the molding process TWICE and during the second round of cleaning the little guy, I just gave up the idea. Hell, I'll just carve another. At some point. It may take a while, though:

And here is the new thing I got going on. I'm doing a series I call "RESPECT" - where I pay homage to the carvers of the 50's and 60's that have helped to inspire this tiki resurrection. I'm using construction waste wood for the basis of all these carvings. I've decided that I'm going to try and not pay for any more wood (!) (like for signs and 4x4 carvings - palm is always free) but only use wood I find from construction sites, the beach, etc. Anyway, here is the first one (still in progress):

Can you guess which carver I decided to pay homage to first?
I'm actually kind of bummed I didn't realize about the Kona art show - because this guy would have fit in nicely. I haven't carved the bit yet, but you'll see.

That's it for now! thanks for stopping by and looking!!!!

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2009-03-03 16:30 ]

kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 5:19 pm   Permalink

This is exactly what TC needed..an update from the wonderful world of polynesiac.. It was getting boring around here.. Im one of your biggest fans dude.. keep on creating and postin...kirby

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 6:00 pm   Permalink

Milan Guanko?

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 6:09 pm   Permalink

I was thinking Andres Bumatay.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 9:44 pm   Permalink

nice stuff man,
hope to see ya sat at the mug book event.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation