FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Let's carve a large outrigger canoe and sail it (Kon-tiki like) to an island
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Let's carve a large outrigger canoe and sail it (Kon-tiki like) to an island
Tiki Terrace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-03 9:25 pm   Permalink

Go Jonny! Have you determined specs yet? Please share! Sorry havent been in touch recently, but work always gets in the way

Still would love to join in the fun. My brothers will be in MI next week and will be checking in with the mills. will post if they find anything promising.

I just finished a boat for a Lake MI practice run... have not dropped in water, but I know it will float
Keep us posted
Scott

View Profile of Tiki Terrace Send a personal message to Tiki Terrace  Email Tiki Terrace Goto the website of Tiki Terrace     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnhaslett

Posted: 2007-05-04 12:25 pm   Permalink

VampiressRN,

Here's description of our first raft on its first day at sea:

In the morning we awoke to sunny skies and a shining ocean. Land was gone. The raft was now cruising slowly and steadily across a vast field of pointed waves. Had you seen Illa-Tiki from a distance that morning you would have seen at first a stark-white sail, tall and rectangular and towering above the surface like a three-story building. Behind the bulging sail you would have seen a bulky wooden barge plodding through the blue ocean with a little bamboo house on its back. You would have had no trouble determining that the craft was built in the tropics. Its superstructure was strictly bamboo architecture, made from scores of neatly cut bamboo poles and bushy palm fronds in typical cabańa style. You would have also gotten the clear impression that this was a work boat, not a pleasure craft. Mounds of supplies and containers lay stacked on its deck and a multitude of heavy barrels stood lashed to its cabin, giving it the looks and personality of an ocean freighter—a tropical cargo boat from ancient America.

And here's a picture of what it looked like:

View Profile of Johnhaslett Send a personal message to Johnhaslett  Goto the website of Johnhaslett     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 5:14 pm   Permalink

Here is a quick update. Last year's event did not materialize for a few reasons, but the dream is still going.

Progress is being made. A log has been salvaged from a cleared field. The log I plan on using is one behind the one I am cutting. With the generous help of my father, we managed to free about a 30 feet long log from this pile. If the weather cooperates (rare in Michigan) it should be at my home this spring for carving.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 6:51 pm   Permalink

I want the one second to the top. You can ship that, right?

G$

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-11 08:28 am   Permalink

I've got the first three verses (to the droning tune of Wreck of Ed. Fitzg.).

A cottonwood canoe and her tiki-mad crew
Twas the triumph of rum over Reason.
The old salts shook their heads, and thought, They’ll all end up dead
It’s the craziest stunt of the season.

With a jug of Mai Tais, and a gleam in their eyes
They were determined to conquer Lake Huron
They let out a roar, and paddled out from shore.
So began the wild voyage of Pighammer.

The weather was calm, as they started out strong
On what they thought would be just a daytrip
But as they lost sight of land, the GPS lay in the sand,
Back on shore – they didn’t realize they’d dropped it.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-01-11 08:45 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-20 5:45 pm   Permalink

Johnny...glad to see the dream is still alive. If you are like me, I have high hopes of getting things done in short periods of time, but that never works out. Usually time, availability and money slow things down. Hang in there...your dream will come true eventually. Wow...those are some big logs!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Toataiaha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 3:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-11 08:28, Limbo Lizard wrote:
I've got the first three verses (to the droning tune of Wreck of Ed. Fitzg.).

A cottonwood canoe and her tiki-mad crew
Twas the triumph of rum over Reason.
The old salts shook their heads, and thought, They’ll all end up dead
It’s the craziest stunt of the season.

With a jug of Mai Tais, and a gleam in their eyes
They were determined to conquer Lake Huron
They let out a roar, and paddled out from shore.
So began the wild voyage of Pighammer.

The weather was calm, as they started out strong
On what they thought would be just a daytrip
But as they lost sight of land, the GPS lay in the sand,
Back on shore – they didn’t realize they’d dropped it.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-01-11 08:45 ]

You fellas away to Gilligan's Island , eh mates

Bloody great idea Johnny .
Hey , seeing as there is no point in reinventing the wheel , check out the Polynesian Voyaging Society .
http://pvs.kcc.hawaii.edu/

And there are various Waka Hourua projects here in New Zealand
http://www.transitofvenus.co.nz/wakavoyaging/index2.html .

cheers me hearties .
Jock

[ This Message was edited by: Toataiaha 2008-05-30 21:42 ]

View Profile of Toataiaha Send a personal message to Toataiaha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-31 09:57 am   Permalink

I was thinking about this too, Would be a good Great Lakes Gathering.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 5:56 pm   Permalink

Love the song Limbolizard, I should have replied way long ago.

After much time, and it does take time to arrange to get the equipment and help together to fetch a log of this size, I was able to get this log to my home. The canoe will be carved out of the one I am standing on (middle one) in the below photo. I think the hardest part of this idea is over, actually getting the log, now just the carving remains (just, ha ha), which can happen little by little over time. The log is shorter than I originally wanted, but had to scale down due the weight of the log, this one weighed well over two tons.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 02:58 am   Permalink

How Awesome to Finally get the logs home! After spending an hour going over Jock's links I'm ready to set sail! I'll be watching this canoe dilligently, waiting for the launch.
Go Johnny GO!GO!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 11:23 am   Permalink

Seems I remember that the Polynesians used carefully controlled and tended fire and/or coals to hollow out the bulk of their canoes, then finished the carving with tools. Don't know if that might help speed up the process, or if modern power tools easily trump that method. All I know is that's a lot of wood to remove!

Edit: found this on the
Polynesian Cultural Center site:

"After a straight and well-rounded tree was selected, craftsman cut it, trimmed the branches, and then spread red-hot rocks along the tree trunk to slowly burn the area and prepare it for the hollowing out process. Builders would then chip away at the trunk with sharpened rock chisels and adzes. After the hollowing out process, the trunk was then dragged to the village for smoothing with pumice stones and leaves that provided special oils. When fully completed, kukui or candle nut oil was rubbed over the entire canoe to waterproof it."

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-08-06 11:47 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 11:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-09 17:58, JohnnyP wrote:
Check out this web site .
http://www.mauicanoefest.com

It is about an annual festival in Hawaii where several teams make a few traditional oceanic dugout canoes every year for cultural and educational purposes...

JohnnyP

Johnny, you should check out the link for the Maui Canoe Fest, from your initial post that started this topic (quoted above). The site still offers help "launching your canoe", I suppose...

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 12:04 pm   Permalink

Hollowing it out will (mostly) prevent it from cracking. While it is whole and drying, there is always the danger it will start to split. Once the center of the tree is removed, the stress will go away and it can dry and (mostly) not crack.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 6:51 pm   Permalink

The perfect solution for midlife a crisis OINK-POUND!
When/where? And during the doldrums I'll workout as an oar whore...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 01:23 am   Permalink

The easiest way I have found to hollow out canoes is to take the top section off then set the depth of your cut into the log on the chainsaw blade with some tape or a marker. Then make plunge cuts along the length of the log about 4" apart then across the log again 4" apart. This takes a bit of time but then all you need is a heavy mallet and maybe the help of a crowbar and each piece will just pop out. Then it's just a case of tidying up.
With this method it took me 3-4 hours to hollow out a 7' long canoe.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this happen, good luck.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation