FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tragedies in Tiki Fashion
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tragedies in Tiki Fashion
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 7:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-13 16:55, Humuhumu wrote:
Shoes have got to be the trickiest part of dressing for Tiki soirees. The styles (especially the colors) have changed so much, and vintage footwear tends to be a little, well, gross. I've been lucky to find a few pairs of colorful heels over the years that pair with my dresses pretty well, but I still find myself scrambling and fudging it quite a bit.

"vintage footwear tends to be a little, well, gross"

I'm kind of surprised by this statement coming from you as from the party pix I've seen here of you here on TC, you tend to be quite stylishly dressed. Maybe clompy 1940's heels are a bit gross, but IMHO Rat-Pack era classic pumps are boss, maybe tortously uncomfortable for the wearer, but they look AWESOME!

THIS SHOE RULES!

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 8:10 pm   Permalink

you can't go wrong with vans slipons! i have over 100 pairs, but these are my favorites with aloha wear.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 8:11 pm   Permalink

I should have been more clear -- the vintage styles I think are gorgeous, and I'm happy to see some of the lines coming back in modern shoes. What's a bit gross are the actual vintage shoes themselves -- 50-year-old shoes that are in good condition are relatively hard to come by, what you tend to find are shoes that bear ample evidence of being occupied by someone else's feet. I do have a few pairs of vintage shoes that are in great shape, but not ones that match my aloha wear.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 8:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:
The whole point of this is that Tevas were worn at a nice party in a beautiful restaurant, elegant surrounding at a fairly fancy party. Then there is DINING where to consume is more than just a needed function or a matter of comfort or convenience, no it is a reflection of art, style, grace, culture and class. It is done out of the sheer elegance, grandeur and enjoyment that we can, and should want to occasional experience in life. It's NOT just a plate of fries and a pair of old sneakers!

When one puts on aires they are trying to be something they are not. They are trying to gain other's approval for personal benefit. That personal benefit is self-esteem. In which case many people need a greater self-esteem.
Me, mine is great. I would want to be comfy while [I]dining[/]. Not worrying about how others view me.
I am perfectly happy enjoying a $200 meal with my wife in my old sneakers. I know the guy serving me doesn't care. He's just trying to work that $50 tip to $60.

Style, grace, culture and class is NOT pointing out that others may not have it. Either by birth, finance or intelect.

I do conform on occasion. I can rock the Brooks Bros and purple Docs and no one says a thing....., until I leave the room of course.

When one is relaxed in mind and body others will also be relaxed. Or aspire to be so. Or upset because they don't know how to be. Or disappointed that they are not allowed.
When one is not relaxed (uptight/constricted/restricted) then one is unhealthy.

I wish everyone to be healthy.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 09:54 am   Permalink

Dressing appropriately is also a way of showing respect and appreciation for the other people around you. Many people who come to an elegant or themed event want to immerse themselves in that atmosphere. When you dress for the occasion you are making a contribution, not only for yourself, but for the other participants.

[ This Message was edited by: ookoo lady 2006-10-14 10:16 ]

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 10:55 am   Permalink

I had found these for my blog earlier this year. Not exactly Mai-Kai quality footwear, but great for the other events (although my thongs tend to go flying off when dancing).

Men's Tiki King shoes

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 11:29 am   Permalink

I'd like to state up front that this is all being said in the most friendly tone.
Having said that first, I too am guilty of owning Tevas, and I am neither stupid nor trying to be a Lonely Planet backpacker. I agree that they may not be the nicest looking sandals, but I'm a marine biologist, and Tevas are good for tidepooling. You ever wear flip-flops to the tide pools and slip? I have. It hurts. For the several years that I've been wearing Teva sandals to the beach, I've not slipped yet (knock on wood). Almost broke my neck in a pair of old shoes, though. Give me Tevas any day.
I was on Maui a few years at the Haleakala national park. You know where the Seven Sacred Pools are? At least that's what the tourists call them. Well, here's a shot I got from the areas you can access without clambering over rocks. Notice the bridge at the very top of the shot, where the road is. We're pretty far away right now.

Now, that's a nice picture, but I wanted to climb up to where the people are at like 3 pools up. It's practically impossible in sandals. I did it, but I was wearing Tevas. My wife opted to stay down below because she was wearing flip flops. Here's what I saw:

You can't really see the bridge anymore because the plants obscure it. I actually climbed farther over, and got behind the waterfall:

Wouldn't have been possible in flip flops. Period.
I also wear Tevas when I go diving. You ever schlep dive gear up a steep hill in flip flops? No thanks.
Okay, so Tevas are great for some things. So why do I only own Teva sandals, why not buy a nice pair of something for when I go out? Why? I'm a cheapskate. I have no shame admitting it. I buy my white T-shirts at Costco and my jeans at Walmart. They're just as good and comfortable as any overpriced name brand. Why pay all kinds of money for clothes that aren't any better than cheap ones?

I understand the sentiment about wearing some nicer shoes when one goes to a nice dinner event. At an event, I wouldn't wear sandals. At a wedding, sandals aren't appropriate no matter what kind of wedding it is. On the beach wedding, find yourself a pair of loafers or something. If it's an event where sandals are appropriate for guys, then who cares? Sometimes it isn't about style, or not having a clue. I've seen the tiki sandals and didn't want to cough up $40 for them. Would I rather have a nice pair of sandals so that you'll think I'm cool for the 5 minutes you see me, or would I rather have the Munktiki mug produced for Tiki Oasis? I got the mug so that I can look at it and remember what a great time I had at Oasis talking to people who didn't care what I was wearing.
I'm not trying to be a beacon of style, I want to be comfortable. And I want something that I can wear in a variety of situations, not just to the beach, or not just to a dinner event. Tevas fit that bill for me, and they have for several years.
Sorry if I came across a bit blunt. I'm not trying to put anyone down or whatever. My main point is that Tevas are useful, and they do serve a purpose. They're very good all purpose sandals.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 11:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-14 10:55, Hot Lava wrote:
I had found these for my blog earlier this year. Not exactly Mai-Kai quality footwear, but great for the other events (although my thongs tend to go flying off when dancing).

Men's Tiki King shoes

Ugh. I was going to buy a pair of these. But found it they are made by a company called 'Margaritaville'.

I suddenly had 'Blew out my flip-flop, stepped on a pop-top...' stuck in my head. Now I have to innoculate myself by listening to some Arthur Lyman.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 12:12 pm   Permalink

Wow! kingstiedye! Those Vans are the best but I can't find the one on the far right of your pic on their website. Do you know if they still make that style? Or if it has a special name?

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 12:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-13 14:11, Rattiki wrote:
Wear sandals to an event such as Hukilau, and TEVAS?!

I couldn't agree with you more. Especially in this post-hippie world we live in, there are soooo many opportunities to dress down. Hell, even office jobs are becoming dress down...and the Good Ole days of dressing up to go to the pictures or to Dine out is (sadly) long gone.
But to dress down for Hukilau?? I thought Tiki events were all about "dressing up"? A great time to sport those rare E bay/ vintage purchases which would otherwise be percieved as "wierd" at BBQ's or other day to day events.

Let's turn the tide on the "berkeley-fication" of style folks! Turn on AMC, see how amazing it looked!

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 12:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-14 12:12, The Granite Tiki wrote:
Wow! kingstiedye! Those Vans are the best but I can't find the one on the far right of your pic on their website. Do you know if they still make that style? Or if it has a special name?

they're called fat weave. they are from the vans vault series. only sold in a few stores and not on the internet in the us. here's a link to zebra club in germany that still has some. i've ordered from them before with no problems.
http://www.zebraclub.de/branditem/1327
there are also some sk8 hi's made with the fat weave:
http://www.one40fivestore.com./store2.php?style=vault_fat_weave_sk8_hi&type=4&category=10&list=0&brand=87
i've also ordered from one40five before, no prob.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 1:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks for info!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 3:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-14 11:29, TikiJosh wrote:
I too am guilty of owning Tevas, and I am neither stupid nor trying to be a Lonely Planet backpacker. I agree that they may not be the nicest looking sandals, but I'm a marine biologist, and Tevas are good for tidepooling.

So why do I only own Teva sandals, why not buy a nice pair of something for when I go out? Why? I'm a cheapskate. I have no shame admitting it. I buy my white T-shirts at Costco and my jeans at Walmart. They're just as good and comfortable as any overpriced name brand. Why pay all kinds of money for clothes that aren't any better than cheap ones?

I understand the sentiment about wearing some nicer shoes when one goes to a nice dinner event. At an event, I wouldn't wear sandals. At a wedding, sandals aren't appropriate no matter what kind of wedding it is. On the beach wedding, find yourself a pair of loafers or something. If it's an event where sandals are appropriate for guys, then who cares?

I'm not trying to be a beacon of style, I want to be comfortable.

Nothing wrong with Tevas for the activities you mentioned. Nothing wrong with buying cheaper clothes or being comfortable, BUT as you said "At a wedding, sandals aren't appropriate no matter what kind of wedding it is" and that is how many feel about Hukilau, they feel it is NOT "an event where sandals are appropriate for guys". So "find yourself a pair of loafers or something" that is appropriate. Personally I have never paid more that $40 for a pair of shoes, slacks, a shirt or a jacket, you just have to know where to buy.

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 4:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

When one puts on aires they are trying to be something they are not. They are trying to gain other's approval for personal benefit. That personal benefit is self-esteem. In which case many people need a greater self-esteem.
Me, mine is great. I would want to be comfy while [I]dining[/]. Not worrying about how others view me.
I am perfectly happy enjoying a $200 meal with my wife in my old sneakers. I know the guy serving me doesn't care. He's just trying to work that $50 tip to $60.

Style, grace, culture and class is NOT pointing out that others may not have it. Either by birth, finance or intelect.

I do conform on occasion. I can rock the Brooks Bros and purple Docs and no one says a thing....., until I leave the room of course.

When one is relaxed in mind and body others will also be relaxed. Or aspire to be so. Or upset because they don't know how to be. Or disappointed that they are not allowed.
When one is not relaxed (uptight/constricted/restricted) then one is unhealthy.

Now to you Sir because I find the above pretty personally insulting....

You know the problem is that many Americans now a days feel that if someone points their finger and says that something is a social faux pax, that to say that is a form of self gratifying snobbery (with all the things that go with that), but it's not. To me this is about appreciation, dignity, quality of/in life and respect. It is about an understanding that proper personally presentation and etiquette is a way of showing appreciation and respect for the grandeur, greatness and importance of a person, place or an occasion.

Now believe me, I too am a product of the postmodern baby-boomer generation (half raised by hippies in Key West) and at one time I too lived out of jeans, sneaks and t-shirts and I was able to justify it to myself. With growing older and after many years of travel and living in many parts of the world (especially the old world) I have come to understand and appreciate the importance of personal presentation and the respect and dignity it can bestow (also my self-esteem is just fine thank you, and I put on aires for NO one) but there is a difference between snobbery and knowing when there is a general lack of effort and respect in our society (or ignorance) for the social graces in our post-modern, western culture. Certain values have been long lost with the "new generation", quite often in the name of free, "open minded thinking" or being "relaxed in mind and body".
Jeez, I can almost smell the stench of patchouli

So many may dress in sneaks and a T-shirt to go to a classy restaurant were the staff and owners have worked so hard to create and maintain a high standard of service and quality and feel it is OK because they believe that the all mighty $ is what matters. I know they'll not get into a highly rated Michelin restaurant in France, or to see the King of Thailand's Palace in Tevas. Many places have dress codes and for good reason! They'll even wear jeans and sandals to a wedding or a funeral or Christmas Mass when they can afford not to and should have dressed appropriately to pay the occasion it's due respect. That is their choice but I choose to go AGAINST the modern politically correct grain and say I feel it is wrong. When a society feels it is OK to do as they want without the due appreciation and respect for the accomplishments of others or the importance of a place or event, this lacks dignity, and I believe this is a sign that that society is "unhealthy".

Bottom line is that someone pointed out that they felt wearing a Tevas sports sandal to the Hukilau soiree' was in bad form (NOT hiking on the beach). I doubt it was meant as a personal slight to anyone but to help inform, no different from advise on drink mixing or tiki carving (if someone served Mai Tais w/ pineapple juice I bet it would get a mention too! ). If you want to look the fool in Brooks Bros and purple Docs then be the fool, and yes they do talk when you leave.....and so they should

So Ladies get some lil' white gloves and Gents find yourself a decent hat 'cause the AMC ways are BACK!

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 4:12 pm   Permalink

I don't want to be judgmental or snooty about someone's choice of footwear, but I will say that my wife and I were somewhat disappointed by the lack of formality with the way MANY people were dressed on Saturday night at the Mai-Kai. We saw jeans and shorts everywhere. Normally, I'm an extremely casual person who hates to dress up, but this was different. This is the Mai-Kai. On their 50th anniversary. It was a special night. To see so many jeans and shorts really detracted from this special night. I say this not to be judgmental in any way, but I think it's important to dress for the occasion. If not for yourself, then for others. And for an occasion like this, it's more important than being comfortable. I think it would be quite appropriate for the Hukilau organizers to request that the attire on Saturday night be "aloha formal". It's my understanding that once upon a time, the Mai-Kai required all men to wear jackets and ties. It wouldn't be such a bad thing to bring that kind of standard back.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation