FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tragedies in Tiki Fashion
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tragedies in Tiki Fashion
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 4:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-14 16:08, Rattiki wrote:
To me this is about appreciation, dignity, quality of/in life and respect. It is about an understanding that proper personally presentation and etiquette is a way of showing appreciation and respect for the grandeur, greatness and importance of a person, place or an occasion.

Hear hear! Rattiki, your post came in while I was composing mine and I just wanted to say that I agree completely with you. Well said.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 6:41 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2006-10-14 16:08, Rattiki wrote:
Quote:

I choose to go AGAINST the modern politically correct grain and say I feel it is wrong. When a society feels it is OK to do as they want without the due appreciation and respect for the accomplishments of others or the importance of a place or event, this lacks dignity, and I believe this is a sign that that society is "unhealthy".

You took the words right out of my mouth. You rock baby!!

I once heard a talking head refer to the '50's as "unsophisticated" Are they kidding? Glad to hear you say the "AMC days" are back. It's long overdue, but unfortunately, I feel we have a looooong way to go.

Although I must say, I have been noticing that the young generation is starting to turn their back on the rap "culture" and starting to embrace the finer aesthetics of Lounge and Rat Pack culture. I catered an 18 yr old party, and was surprised, beyond belief, to hear Sinatra and Dino on the stereo and see snazzy Audrey Hepburn - like gals in the mix.

There's hope, yet!!

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 7:20 pm   Permalink

Jeez, I can almost smell the stench of patchouli

Well, Now I am bummed that you feel insulted. I didn't think that I could ever really insult anyone personally. (it has happened though) This is sad. If I wanted to insult someone I would hold my tongue.

Internet forums are a tough place for me to have an intilectual conversation. (it is a bit lacking). Even face to face for that matter. I think there has got to be a million places on the net for me to insult someone. Unintentionally.

I suppose that I was insulted (not really) that one pair of sandals was more disrespectful over another. I really thought that one's tiki appearance would have not really mattered at a tiki event (the Hukilau; Mai Kai 50th) I suppose I would have looked like a fool in a tuxedo with tails as it was not the opera or I was not the emcee at the circus. I'd prefer being the emcee. For that matter, the clown.

I did not say that I would be disrespectful by any means. I have been to weddings in sandals with rainbow socks wearing a suit. The great/grandparents and brides & grooms have always loved it. Stange/estranged aunts and uncles and siblings usually don't like it. People that know me, either personal or business, would be more dissappointed if I did NOT buck the system rather than conform.

There are times to teach (obviously this is one of them) and times to relax (tiki).
Teaching one to make a proper mai tai is NOT the same as teaching rules of etiquette
for a formal function. I don't think that a soiree is a formal function. Even a tiki event.

On a side not, I am watching Columbo right now. He just got shewed out of a fancy restaurant.

Should we meet, I am sure that you would consider me the lower end of the hoi polloi.

I'll play the fool and you can play the gallant knight.

I am very sorry that you were offended and insulted.
If anyone is ever insulted by something I say, please don't be. I do not mean to.
I think I'll get my very first Jimmy Buffet CD tomorrow. The whole catalogue maybe?

Time for Chinese.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 8:30 pm   Permalink

fool (plural: fools)

1. (pejorative) A person with poor judgment or little intelligence.
2. A jester, a person whose role was to entertain a sovereign and the court.
3. A type of dessert made of puréed fruit and custard or cream.

Take your choice. I like #3

Quote:

On 2006-10-14 19:20, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

Well, Now I am bummed that you feel insulted. I didn't think that I could ever really insult anyone personally.

I may be arrogant and obstinate but I'm not illiterate.
:looking you in the eye smugly arms crossed:

Quote:

I really thought that one's tiki appearance would have not really mattered at a tiki event (the Hukilau; Mai Kai 50th)

You thought wrong.

Quote:
I suppose I would have looked like a fool in a tuxedo with tails as it was not the opera or I was not the emcee at the circus.

You would have been over dressed.

Quote:

I'd prefer being the emcee. For that matter, the clown.
I have been to weddings in sandals with rainbow socks wearing a suit. The great/grandparents and brides & grooms have always loved it. Stange/estranged aunts and uncles and siblings usually don't like it. People that know me, either personal or business, would be more dissappointed if I did NOT buck the system rather than conform.

And I too am bucking the system by taking for what is for some an unpopular stance risking the chance of being referred to as a patronizing snob......as if I care!

Quote:

Teaching one to make a proper mai tai is NOT the same as teaching rules of etiquette for a formal function.

Yes your right, the latter is more important. One is a drink recipe, the other is a recipe for civility. There was a time when there were whole schools of learning dedicted to the endevour of proper etiquette. It is time that some of these values return to our culture.

Quote:

I don't think that a soiree is a formal function. Even a tiki event.

Sometimes it is, and in this case it was.

Quote:

Should we meet, I am sure that you would consider me the lower end of the hoi polloi.

Very doubtful you seem to be a man of integrity, just a bad dresser by choice.

Quote:

I think I'll get my very first Jimmy Buffet CD tomorrow. The whole catalogue maybe?

He used to be my neighbor, but he's still not Tiki.

Truth is that just because I believe sandals do not formal wear make, does not mean I am an up tight ass or unable to have fun and make fun of myself or play the public fool either. But I do believe the time has come for this generation to realize that formality DOES have function and is a important part of civility and our civilzations. To me the new social rebellion is to look and act classy when ever possible (this does NOT equate boring or stuffy) let the Gen X & Y crowd wallow in their tawdry vulgarity with their pants around there knees, their underpants up their bottoms and their mouths spewing profanity. I have chosen to rebel in a new way, 'shooting white' and lookin' sharp!

Of course to a wedding I would wear a proper tux

Friday are Bowling Shirt and Fez Nights for me!

[ This Message was edited by: Rattiki 2006-10-15 15:19 ]

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PoisonIvy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-14 10:10 pm   Permalink

I've seen stupid threads here, but this one takes the cake.
For the people who are so appalled with others' attire at Hukilau, especially in question seems to be the anniversary party for the Mai Kai, post a pic or two of what you fashioned that evening. It might help to support your ideal.
XXXOOOIvy

View Profile of PoisonIvy Send a personal message to PoisonIvy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 07:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-14 22:10, PoisonIvy wrote:

Here we go. Someone who has no interest in the subject feels compelled to insult the people who do.

There are thousands of threads on Tiki Central. Maybe you can find one where you can make an actual contribution.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 07:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

this one takes the cake.

alright, ignore the pie

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 08:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

Agreed. Not sure if I was Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor.
You should see us go at it on the mountain bike forums.

It is just a bunch of monkeys swinging their tikis at each other.

EDIT: What is that commercial with the monkey that replies "monkeys in pants?" Ahh, that cracks me up, talking monkeys are so funny.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-10-15 08:56 ]

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 09:00 am   Permalink

Sandals, what man cares what other men wear on their feet. Freedom baby freedom. One sandal over another is just personal preference.

The sandal that first started this thread off is not made of "natural" materials. Thats tiki right there for you. Tiki is a faux of the Pacific and better.

Tiki doesn't fit into the norm of society but if we want to start looking at footwear, why not have it were your hair has to be styled a certain way and men's facial hair trimmed just so. Maybe everyone could drop a few pounds to just before the event, that not asking to much.

If I took my girlfriend and father to one of these events, I'm into the whole culture,(maybe not whole) but they aren't. They would be coming for me and would probably not be dressed at all. Sad to think that the next event that I went to I would have to think in the back of my mind that I'm being judged and I'm inappropriate. I won't go to a place like that.

A thread like this is fine. we have covered the last 50 years of tiki in just a few years and need interesting new topic to cover. But its just personal preference. I'll never catch me in a purple lounge shirt or a shiny red blazer.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 09:59 am   Permalink

About 10 years ago, while in Graduate School, one of the students said that her first judgement, when meeting a person for the first time, was often based on what type of shoes that person wore. It would make a big difference to her on whether the shoes were polished or not. I was quite surprised, as I had never heard this statement before, and surprised that someone would admit to it. I was even more surprised when some of the other students nodded their heads, and said that they also judged people by the shoes they wore.

I felt the above was somewhat of a class statement, as this was a somewhat expensive university, and I am sure several of the students regularly bought the higher-end fashion magazines, and were able to afford the latest fashions. That is fine, but they have to remember that other students may not be able to afford both good fashion and the high tuition .... and in their case, the tuition is more important.

Two years ago, while at work, a co-worker came up to me, and mentioned that he kept a can of shoe polish in his desk, and that I was welcome to borrow it if I needed to. I kind of laughed at this - my shoes were not flithy, just not as sharply polished as he deemed necessary. This guy was an ex-Marine, so that explained some it.

I did admire the people who dressed nicely for the recent Hukilau Mai Kai event, as they greatly added to the visual pleasures of the evening. But I didn't look down on those who were not dressed as formally. I was impressed that all of the people deemed the event worthy to attend, and many used valuable vacation time and money for airfare/hotels/other trip expenses. They made the choice to attend this event, and that is what should be deemed most important.

As a counterpoint to the shoe argument, the following is a link to an on-line book, titled 'The Barefoot Hiker' I present this to remind us that there are many pleasures that can be gained by wearing no shoewear at all, and that by going barefoot one gains a betters sense for the real feel of one's environment. Go native!
http://members.aol.com/bhthom/hikertxt.htm

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 1:11 pm   Permalink

Seriously? I thought the point of this topic was that a lot of women find Teva sandals ugly on men. Or that it was a satirical statement on men's footwear. Personally, I thought it was funny. Oh, chicks dig men in flip flops... grrowlll!

[ This Message was edited by: stuff-o-rama 2006-10-15 13:17 ]

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zombiepops
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-15 1:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-13 20:10, kingstiedye wrote:
you can't go wrong with vans slipons! i have over 100 pairs, but these are my favorites with aloha wear.

right on! You'll take my jeff spicoli checkerboard slipons from my cold dead feet!

*grin*

View Profile of zombiepops Send a personal message to zombiepops      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 3:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

you can't go wrong with vans slipons! i have over 100 pairs, but these are my favorites with aloha wear.

The ones on the right would certainly be very nice if you were wearing colorful Hawaiian style garb and would be quite fitting for a event such as Hukilau. The other two in tandum with that would be a bit much, but certainly very cool footwear to wear with T-shirt and cut-offs to the beach or just bumming around in.

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 3:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-15 15:13, Rattiki wrote:
Quote:

The ones on the right would certainly be very nice if you were wearing colorful Hawaiian style garb and would be quite fitting for a event such as Hukilau. The other two in tandum with that would be a bit much, but certainly very cool footwear to wear with T-shirt and cut-offs to the beach or just bumming around in.

i think the 2 aloha prints go best with a bright aloha shirt and plaid shorts!

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 4:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-15 15:20, kingstiedye wrote:
i think the 2 aloha prints go best with a bright aloha shirt and plaid shorts!

That's why the fashion police have a warrant out for your arrest and capture!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation