FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tragedies in Tiki Fashion
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Tragedies in Tiki Fashion
tropicali*honey
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-17 09:05 am   Permalink

Yup, Lucky Lou's-they are pretty pricey and run narrow--
I also look on Ebay a lot for vintage ones like Miss Sophista-tiki's!
LOVE those Sophista-tiki!!

I bought the "Vegas" Lucky Lou's for when I was going to Frankie's and I have narrow feet and they were so tight, I had to return them!
Some older ones I have--

[ This Message was edited by: tropicali*honey 2009-07-17 09:06 ]

View Profile of tropicali*honey Send a personal message to tropicali*honey  Email tropicali*honey Goto the website of tropicali*honey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tropicali*honey
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-17 09:51 am   Permalink

Kiki-- I also like this site--and they are a *tad* cheaper
http://craftshawaii.com
They have good priced Sale Items too

View Profile of tropicali*honey Send a personal message to tropicali*honey  Email tropicali*honey Goto the website of tropicali*honey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 12:00 pm   Permalink

Regardless of what type of sandal people wear, the first rule for both men and women is to have CLEAN MANICURED toes. Many do not and it is disgusting. I work in an office where people with Creature from the Black Lagoon feet insist on wearing sandals. Barf. So if someone is in ugly sandals of any type and their feet are tidy I can give them a fashion police pass and let them go.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 5:22 pm   Permalink

Tropicali*honey and leleliz! Thanks for those links! I must have!!

Agreed - pedicures are a must for the sandal clad.

Remember the pledge.
Please raise your big toes and repeat after me:

As a member of the Cute Girl Sisterhood, I pledge to follow the Rules when wearing sandals and other open-toe shoes:

I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps.

I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free.

I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe.

I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow.

I will shave the hairs off my big toe.

I won't wear pantyhose, even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there.

If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back into place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it.

I will not live in corn denial; rather, I will lean on my good friend Dr. Scholl's if my feet need him.

I will resist the urge to buy jelly shoes at Payless for the low, low price of $4.99, even if my feet are small enough to fit into the kids' sizes. This is out of concern for my safety, and the safety of others. No one can walk properly when standing in a pool of sweat and I would hate to take someone down with me as I fall and break my ankle.

I will take my toe ring off toward the end of the day if my toes swell and begin to look like Vienna sausages.

I will be brutally honest with my girlfriend/sister/coworker when she asks me if her feet are too ugly to wear sandals. Someone has to tell her that her toes are as long as my fingers and no sandal makes creepy feet look good.

I will promise that if I wear flip flops, I will ensure that they actually flip and flop, making the correct noise while walking and I will swear NOT to slide or drag my feet while wearing them.

I will promise to go to my local nail salon at least once per season and have a real pedicure (they are about $15 or 20 and worth EVERY penny!).

I will promise to throw away any white/off-white sandals that show signs of wear... nothing is tackier than dirty white sandals.

All in favor, say Aye!

Kiki von Tiki stuff on etsy.com!

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tropicali*honey
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-17 6:16 pm   Permalink

Aye, Aye! I second that!
(I literally laughed out loud at least 4 times)

Guys should get a pedi once a season--like you said it only costs about $20, and makes a world of difference, plus it feels fantastic!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-17 8:40 pm   Permalink

I'm with Dewey-Surf, Crocs are disgustingly ugly. Speaking of disgusting, I work in the medical field, we often carry open-topped containers of various bodily fluids and semi-fluids. The last thing I want is to wear shoes that are more hole than shoe

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-19 7:51 pm   Permalink

After reading this thread all the way through and having several laughs to the some of the replies, I have come to the realization that we are of two different schools of mindset here.

Beach casual tiki dress Vs. the other, what I would call Rat Pack vintage dress.

From what I can remember as a kid the loud Aloha shirts and sandals were for the Backyard BBQ (I'm sure if Teva's would have been around more than one person would have worn them).
The skinny ties, wingtips, shin length dress and mules were for going out after dark.

But times have changed and what we are taking part in is a remembering/living of the Tiki Past where to quote Jello "everyday is halloween".

We should be dressing the part if we are going to play the game...
Some of us as the Rat Pack.
Some as "Boats" from Donavan's Reef, the traditional Beachcomber.
But who will be the one to pull off the "safari/adventurer/world traveler" of Don?

I guess my thinking is that if there is grass or sand involved its ok to wear sandals, flip flops, thongs or what ever you want to call them as long as a pedicurist wouldn't wince looking at those toes
otherwise.....inclose the toes!!!!

Myself it will be the Beachcomber so If you see me somewhere with canvas boat shoes and 3 days of beard I'm "dressing up".

[ This Message was edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-07-19 21:53 ]

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-20 10:07 pm   Permalink

Beach Bum Scott,

'Have been doing the "safari look" for decades. Cargo pants, shirts with a bunch of button and zip pockets, brimmed hats, everything in khaki or washed-out hues, a few island shirts, NEVER blue jeans...

Annoying thing, it is currently "in fashion," as pointed out by daughters. "Dad, look at these catalogues! You are in and hip and cool, despite ytour best efforts to dress the same way for decades."

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 11:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-20 22:07, Haole Jim wrote:
Beach Bum Scott,

'Have been doing the "safari look" for decades. Cargo pants, shirts with a bunch of button and zip pockets, brimmed hats, everything in khaki or washed-out hues, a few island shirts, NEVER blue jeans...

Annoying thing, it is currently "in fashion," as pointed out by daughters. "Dad, look at these catalogues! You are in and hip and cool, despite ytour best efforts to dress the same way for decades."

A tip of the Pith Helmet to you sir for beinging in fashion for so long it has come back around!!!

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 3:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-19 19:51, Beach Bum Scott wrote:
But who will be the one to pull off the "safari/adventurer/world traveler" of Don?

Team Quicksand!

Do you have a minute? Because we have something we'd like to share with you. It is our mission to
spread the good roll.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 6:48 pm   Permalink

You two are definitely not a tragedy in Tiki Fashion! Methinks you look right stylish.

Kiki von Tiki stuff on etsy.com!

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 7:14 pm   Permalink

Except for the umbrella I agree with you Kiki Von Tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2009-07-21 19:15 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-22 3:44 pm   Permalink

Dang, I can't believe no one's pointed these out before:

I had ran across them before, and this thread jogged my memory. Searched Amazon for "sperry tiki head." Looks like there are only a few sizes left (8 1/2, 9 1/2 & 11), but you may be able to scour the Internets for other sizes. Hopefully my pair will be here in time for Tiki Kon!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-23 10:07 am   Permalink

Laughed my butt off with the pedicure... My wife is always complaining about my beachcomber feet, covered with
wood stain splatters, clay, and cut up from knee paddling and Malibu sharp rocks. I'll finally get that pedicure for tiki oasis!

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation