FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Hawaii Vacation Tips
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Hawaii Vacation Tips
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-07 3:40 pm   Permalink

Aloha! I'm heading back to the islands next month. Kauai, Hawai'i, and Oahu are my stops. Any tips on things I've missed in my previous posts are always appreciated. Food? Activities? Music? Sights? Beaches? Dive Sites? And, oh yes... DRINKS!?! Full report to follow. Mahalo, Gang!

-Weird Uncle Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: weirduncletiki on 2003-06-25 15:39 ]

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-25 4:37 pm   Permalink

So... any tips for your island bound unc?

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-06-25 5:42 pm   Permalink

WeirdUnc!

Al, Shelly and myself (me) had the best Mai Tai at, oddly enough, the Mai Tai bar at the Royal Hawaiian. Check out Chucks Steak House on Beachwalk Street also.

Aloha

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-25 5:51 pm   Permalink

Hey Unc - I can't shed any light on the big island, as I haven't been there, or Oahu, since I was only 5 & 6 when I lived there, but I did go to Kauai four years ago.

The must-see stuff is pretty obvious -- Waimea Canyon is really breathtaking, and of course, Na Pali is very cool. We went snorkelling at Ke'e Beach on the north coast, and that was great. We hiked into Na Pali from Ke'e Beach, we didn't go very far (only hiked for a few hours), but it was spectacular. To be honest, we spent most of our time at the resort, we were at the Hyatt Regency in Poipu Beach.

If I had it all to do over again, I would spend a *lot* more time in Na Pali -- there was a full day hike that went really deep in where it's so dark the vegetation is all dwarfed -- you had to bring hip waders! I really wish I'd done that hike. Also wish I'd taken the time to visit the botanical gardens. We drove out to Barking Sands beach, which was nice enough, but I didn't think it was anything special. We also didn't take any of the trips to see Na Pali from out away from the island, like one of the boat or helicopter tours, and I wish we'd done that.

Looks like I need to go back!

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-06-25 17:56 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-25 6:17 pm   Permalink

I love the Big Island! Where are you staying? We stayed at the King Kamehameha right at the end of Alii Drive (where all the bars, shops, etc. are in Kona) A MUST is right across the street from the Hotel (on Alii Dr. where it starts to turn) a small restaurant/bar called (and I forget the exact name) but it's like "Lucy's almost by the sea" I just forget the name but it's the only place open late (after bars close) There is the best sandwich in the world there! It's called "Kona Gold" and is like a hot crab salad sandwich. Hard to explain but well worth the flight to Hawaii just for this sandwich! You MUST go get one, or two, or three! I think we ate there every day of our trip!

We dove with the dive shop in the King Kam Hotel. They have a night dive where you go out to about 60' and anchor yourself (extra weights required) to the ocean floor around a huge spotlight. Everyone has flashlights that you hold to attract plankton which attracts Manta Rays! We had a special treat-5 Mantas. They come so close to you that you can touch them and they brush up over your head to eat whats in your light beam. They don't let you wear your snorkel because they come so close to your head, they'll knock your mask off! They flip and dance gracefully in the lights. They are huge and look like king size mattresses gliding around. A MUST dive! Absolutely the best dive experience of my life!

And, of course, you must see the lava flow. Spend a day driving around the island it really is amazing how it goes from rain forest like to desert like. Stop between Kona and Hilo because there are many waterfall parks/walks just off the main road! The Big Island is my favorite! I'm so jealous!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-25 6:47 pm   Permalink

Mahalo! The manta ray dive is now booked! Those hikes sound incredible, on past trips I've hit the beach for diving and surfing, but I may head for the hills a bit this time. Look out crab salad sandwich, here I come! Any other tips are appreciated.

-Weird Unc

laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-26 05:25 am   Permalink

Since you dive, on Oaho, we dove with the dive master for the Kahala Mandarin Hotel (pretty high end, we were guests of William Morris Agency) Small dive boats 4-5 people, the guy let me use his scooter, he'd charge the battery up just for me, man you've got to dive with a scooter, it's awesome! Any way, we did a WWII plane wreck at 100', a cave where we had an encounter with a large octopus, and free dove a tank at 80'. Fun! At the other end of the island (away from Diamond Head) There is extensive lava flow caves to explore and we dove a huge Mine Sweeper wreck, home to spotted eagle rays, sharks, eels, and numerous fish species. I think every island has unique dive sites so live it up. The only thing you're missing is the Humpback Whale migration (around Jan-late Feb.) when you can hear them singing under water! A moving experience for any diver!

We should plan a TC dive trip to Catalina, I know there are several TC divers-Al/Shelley, Laney/Cory, and you, at least-I think there are more? That would be fun, I like CA diving. Have a great trip!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-26 07:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-26 05:25, laney wrote:
We should plan a TC dive trip to Catalina, I know there are several TC divers-Al/Shelley, Laney/Cory, and you, at least-I think there are more? That would be fun, I like CA diving.

This sounds like fun. I am PADI certified myself although I haven't gone diving since 1996. A refresher course is definitely order. Catalina is beautiful. Also used to do a lot of diving at Anacapa going out of Ventura. Good Times.

Weird Unc, do dive Hawaii if you get a chance. Last time I was on the islands we did some diving around Oahu. Very beautiful indeed!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-26 09:46 am   Permalink

Just back from Maui myself. For dining in Lahaina I'd recommend IO and Pacifico (sister restaurants) on the far end of Front Street. Definitely a giant upgrade in the dining scene for Lahaina.

With more direct flights to Maui, Kauai, and Kona it's been a year or so since I've been to Oahu (passed through on the way to Bora Bora last year, but that's another story). Lots of good stuff about Honolulu already on this thread, but my contribution would be to try the unbelievable Plate Lunches at a place called the Rainbow Drive-in. Totally local and always good.

There's also a bar in a parking garage (the Sheraton maybe?) with a window into the hotel swimming pool. Don't recall it being particularly Tiki-ish, but interesting nonetheless.

Aloha,

Vic

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-27 12:39 pm   Permalink

Any TC trip to Catalina would be fun (I prefer the rough and tumble Two Harbors side to the Palm-Springs-By-The-Sea Avalon side, but that's just me), but a DIVE trip would be awesome! Maggie's never been and I keep telling her how great the kelp forests are there.

I didn't think to ask about TC divers - we go to Monterey regularly on season to dive - we should all hook up sometime for one of those trips - do Pt. Lobos or Monastary - then skip over to Hulas for mai tais after.

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-30 4:47 pm   Permalink

when we went to the big island, we did a road trip (yes, it's really that big). we started in the kailua-kona area, then went to the volcano area, then to hilo, then to waipio. if i had to do it again i wouldn't stay in hilo (but i do highly recommend visiting hilo)

here's where we stayed in the waipio area:

you can get more advance from my friend michael:

http://www.blackbamboohawaii.com/

please let him know that chris & emilia recommended him to you.

have fun,
chris

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 09:18 am   Permalink

old thread about maui:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=830&forum=1&4

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-28 12:05 pm   Permalink

On The Big Island (Hawai'i) there's an activity called Flumin' Da Ditch. Along with guides and fellow travelers you'll kayak down several miles of old sugar cane irrigation flumes.
The excursion starts in their headquarters in Hawi, North Kohala. There's a briefing and short video to watch and then you'll be crammed into a van for one of the bumpiest, shakingest rides through cow pastures you could imagine. The kayaking itself is calm, but if you're prone to seasickness take a Dramamine for the van ride!
Once you've arrived at the flume departure point, ask to be in a kayak with a guide so you'll be able to more easily hear the history, legends and ghost stories that are told along the pleasant drift. You'll be given a light that straps onto your head(miner-style) and then you're off.
The scenery is beautiful. Very lush, with many tropical plants and flowers as well as mountain and valley views. At several points the flumes cross bridges over deep valleys, if you're not into heights, don't look down!
There are also may tunnels that the flumes enter. The longest takes about twelve minutes to go through and this is when those forehead lights come in handy as there's no natural light in there. Not a good place for the claustrophobic.
North Kohala is a very rainy area of the island, but even if it does come down (as it did on our trip), the rain was warm and the ride was still pleasant.
We disembarked at a point where wild cinnamon was growing and were able to chew on some leaves. An unexpected fun treat!
Once back at the office there are chips and soda and Hawaiian Sun drinks as refreshments.
So Flumin Da Ditch is an agreeable experience. Certainly not a thrill ride (except for the van), but a nice way to pass a couple hours seeing the sights and talking story in a very unusual way. I'm certainly glad I did it, but I'd spend the hunk of money it costs on a scuba dive next time I'm out that way.
http://www.flumindaditch.com/flumin/index.html

-Weird Unc

[ This Message was edited by: weirduncletiki on 2004-04-28 12:08 ]

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-28 12:10 pm   Permalink

cool! Thanks weirdunc!
This is one of my favorite tips threads, I've got it bookmarked and will probably print much of it out for my trip.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-28 12:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-28 12:10, Tikiwahine wrote:
cool! Thanks weirdunc!
This is one of my favorite tips threads, I've got it bookmarked and will probably print much of it out for my trip.

Fantastic! Have a blast in the islands and be sure to share your experiences here when you return.
Looking forward to hearing all about it.

-Weird Unc

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation