FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » TeaKEY's critikeys (starting new p12)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
TeaKEY's critikeys (starting new p12)
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 06:53 am   Permalink

Teakey- makes better tiki mugs than Christ. Call 555-tkey for your breaking of the bread needs and last supper buffets.

Now its certainly a question about Bamboo Ben verses Joseph

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 07:54 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-04-23 17:57, teaKEY wrote:
You are right, everyone taking a couple clay courses probably could make a cup. I wish I was lucky enough to take a clay course in high school or YMCA. I did have finger-painting in pre-school there. Those were the days. I could say that most, yes, most people have picked up a paint brush and painted, but most people aren't considered painters/artist. That is a true statement in my eyes. Maybe you have made a ceramic cup, but have you made a tiki mug? And have you made a mug like mine, or my father's? I can't name more than 10 people that have made a hand-built tiki mug, that I have seen. That's 10 people that could be all over the world. 10 people is not
"anyone who has ever taken a summer pottery intro". There is a different too in a painting from when you were five years old and a painting from a working painter. Hopefully a big difference.
[end quote]

I have seen THOUSANDS of hand built mugs, they weren't all tiki mugs, but many of them were well done, and many of them by 5th-12th graders.

You don't need a couple of intro clay courses to hand build a mug, you just need one.

Yes I have hand built a mug. No it wasn't tiki. No it wasn't good enough that I'd compare myself to TikiFarm or Munktiki or Chihuli for that matter.

Yes there is a BIG difference between being a painter at 5 or a Bob Ross watching hobbyist and being a working painter. This is a difference that you should explore in ceramics or anything you wish to do as a means of employment, or if you want TikiFarm to produce one of your mug designs.

No, there is not a big difference between your work and the work of any teen or adult who has taken one intro. ceramics course.

You can hand build a nearly true cylinder and then hand build a design around it keeping the symmetry and when done sculpting remove the material for the vessel from the center, or use the cylinder to create a mold that will have a hollow center. You can hand build around a wheel thrown cylinder but you have to learn to use a wheel first.

Alot of work can be done on clay that is slowly dried while it is in various hardnesses. Respected artists have used pieces started on a wheel as a take off point for adding onto for a long time. Yes their work is still art.

You should, as recommended, use the spell check feature, even if it's not perfect.

You should stop worrying so much about the definition of "art" or whose work can be considered "art" and put that energy into creating.

You should stop talking about how great you are and put that energy into making great work.

Peace,

S
T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-24 10:26 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 5:04 pm   Permalink

TeaKey,

I wanted to post this here in case you or anyone watching the trainwreck missed it.

This message was posted by teakey today in my carving thread:

[Quote]

Hey Sneaky

I know that in a previous post that you said you didn't mean anything more than a helpful suggestion so here is my observation of your self described "carvings"

Sorry haven't read you postings here but
Your "carvings" look like the one time my dog chewed on the leg of my parent's chair. My parent's weren't too happy with her for that. Seriously the cuts look to be done with teeth and not anything remotely sharp or for use in wood. Do you really wear that stuff around your neck or out in public???

[end quote]

And here, for your convenience, is my reply:

[quote]

Teakey,

Thank you for the critique of my work. Even if criticism is put forward in a hostile way it's still good to listen and discern if there is some truth that you can learn from.

As you are an intelligent and mature individual I'm sure that you meant it in a friendly way and that it wasn't simply retribution for the message I posted in your "Teakey's Critiques" Collecting thread.

When I look at my carvings I have to (for the most part) agree with your analysis that they look pretty much like a dog chewed chair leg.
That is one of the many reasons I'm not starting my own blog in the Collecting forum called "Sneaky's Critiques". In this blog that I'm not starting I won't compare my carvings against BenZart, BK, G-Man, Paipo, Tamapoutini and the other fine carvers here. I also won't describe myself as "One of the greats". I won't claim that any of those who cast resin pendants (Gecko maybe) should reproduce one of my carving designs on a large scale, as you've indicated TikiFarm should make one of your mugs. I won't call a much more experienced carver a Punk (unless they have a really cool Mohawk), or accuse them of making a "punk move" if they try to give me some valuable advice on the business of carving or for that matter on life. I won't call my work "priceless" and I will not lay claim to secret carving knowledge that few others possess. I think you're getting the general message here.

For my part I WILL try to use sharp tools and improve my craft in future carvings as long as I keep carving. I hope they will look better soon.

Aloha!

S
T

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 5:05 pm   Permalink

Sorry, system was crashing here and somehow my message was triple posted once it came up.

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-24 18:28 ]

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 5:05 pm   Permalink

Sorry, triple posted somehow due to system crash while I was posting.

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-24 18:33 ]

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 6:08 pm   Permalink

you certainly live up to your TC name, congrats

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 6:33 pm   Permalink

Teakey's thread in the early days:

Teakey's thread lately:

Teakey: Keep up the great work! As one of your long time fans, I'd have to say I really like where your work is taking you lately...You will never be the best unless you know that you can be the best, right? BTW: I do not know how much I can bench, but my upper arm measures 15.5 inches and my forearm measures 14 inches. My ego is even larger.

Bulging Muscles Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 06:03 am   Permalink

I find this thread fascinating.

I keep wondering if it's a gag or something.

The art is real. The persona, unbelievable.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 06:33 am   Permalink

"It is not advisable to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
- Francisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sebastián d'Anconia

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 06:44 am   Permalink

"My common sense is tingling"
-Deadpool

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-25 06:50 am   Permalink

That's FUNNY you posted that Helz, because by doing that you ARE venturing an unsolicited opinion. What's even funnier was when GROG check your profile it listed your occupation as "Telling people what to do."

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 07:41 am   Permalink

I am both aware of the irony and prepared for the embarrassment.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-TONGA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 09:30 am   Permalink

View Profile of TIKI-TONGA Send a personal message to TIKI-TONGA  Email TIKI-TONGA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 09:48 am   Permalink

What's up with the prop, Ernie?

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 09:59 am   Permalink

The Sneaky tiki and his "tiki" carving dog, curse you, curse you for blowing up the track.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation