FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki TeaKEY's critikeys (starting new p12)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
TeaKEY's critikeys (starting new p12)
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 09:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-06 09:07, GROG wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-12-06 08:05, teaKEY wrote:

* It's on the first page and I'm not going to quote it above, what a waste of space. I hate then people quote what you were just talking about, like people have 5 second memories. Quote the whole paragraph from the above paragraph and then write "Yeah, or I agree".

Yeah, GROG agree. GROG wish 4 second memory GROG has so space GROG waste not from quote above. GROG hate then do that people do as well.

Yeah, I agree too!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 09:17 am   Permalink

Ok, I wanted to add alittle more to other thoughts, so if you want to make your comment to the above posting put a (1) and this posting put a (2) or do nothing.

"I'm more of a thinker than a doer. Maybe some of my thoughts will indirectly lead to pull tiki mugs in a direction that would have never been pulled. And thats the pay off.-teaKEY"

When I started posting here at TC, I wanted to make a name for myself having a mass-produced tiki mug. I already made a hand built mug then. Can you believe, the zenith for me is C'Al, Bosko, TikitOny, Tiki Diablo, Gecko divided by 50(I mention them cause they are very much alike, will post my thoughts at a later time)( as well as Helztiki, and Rum Demon.) Did I forget anyone? I know Tikifarm and Munktiki but they are more like Companies.

Vantiki is very different and I can't believe that his
mug isn't selling for higher.

All of the above names are all artist that have a following in many areas of tiki as well as have about ten or more different mass-produced mugs. I just want a tiny slice of Tiki History. I only want one mug to make it and if anyone wants to pick me up, I'm there but I don't know what has been holding me back so far. I got the mug idea, the number run picked out, the idea for APs and the talent to shape it all together but there is a block from keeping me from going at it.

I still am more of a thinker, but as of lately, have been a doer. Not with the mass-produced stuff but in some one offs( more on this later) but I can tell you that its a one of a kind times three) Only mug of its look, only mug of its shape, only mug of it process to be formed (and thats a big part of it) and only mug in history to perform what it does. I'm thinking it will be for sale to a lucky buyer if the buyer knows how special it is (meaning price).

It is the highest form of art piece tiki mug there is. Only Gecko would attempt a one off mug like this but he doesn't do one off mugs that I know off (bowls, yes) but even then, I don't think it would be anything like this. VAntiki is the only other artist I know that has made completely one off mugs unless you count some of the throw mugs with slight carving out there.((And actually the only to sell a completely done one off, if anyone knows of different I would like to know)) I'm so excited, cause it is a break through in mugs and it was certainly a breakthrough in my mugs and the best one that I ever could think to make, to date.

I plan to sell this to the highest bidder (you can start your bids now, I'll let you) or a pleasing bid and it wouldn't even be priced as high as lesser quality or quantity of work done mugs. But, I know that this mug will be displayed and hopefully be used from time to time in a private citizens home. I also want to have my mugs in anyone's homes.

So I made "the" mug (which I can talk about closer to being glazed or sooner) and hopefully going even to a higher level (I got the ideas); and next is a molded mug (one for collectors with the collections and hopefully the cheapest mug that I could ever make- A modern day Leilani of sorts. If this doesn't get comments, nothing will.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-12-06 10:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-06 09:17, teaKEY wrote:

I plan to sell this to the highest bidder (you can start your bids now,

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 10:08 am   Permalink

Well, thats the first bid. Looks like to cents. I could sell it to you for that, but you would be shocked at the shipping and handling charges. Hey Grog, you still need to keep that wig on.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-12-06 10:08 am   Permalink

Oops! GROG overbid. That was supposed to be ONE penny, not two.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 2:39 pm   Permalink

Mugmakers, and I don't think of Tikifarm and Munktiki tiki fit into the individual classes just because they're companies that aren't one man doing it all.

TikiFarm- Best Cheap mug(cheap as in inexpensive), Most mugs sold, Most different art under one umbrella
Munktiki- Best mug crossover designs, Best Selection of styles by a single artist
Bosko-Best asymmetrical mugs, Best Vintage feel glaze (and isn't he like the Godfather of Modern mugs)
Tiki Diablo- Best use of mix media in a mug, Best multicolored mug
Tiki Tony- Best Cartoonish quality, Best packaging for mug, Best painted mugs
Crazy Al- Best mug from carving,
Gecko- Best glazes, Best bowls, Most expensive?
Rum Demon- Best fruit mugs, Best at doing different glaze for each mug
Vantiki- Best musical mug, Best sold hand-built mugs, Best use of mixed clays

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I really love those Spanish mugs. They are so different from anything that we have here. They don't really look like any traditional tikis or styles, but they still have a tiki mug quality.

I would have to define their style has first multiply bright colors and second a mug that has no traditional style. They all have faces and extra detail work and then go with the extra step on Action.
"Action" would be the dry ice bubbling, or the 151 fire. Sometimes two or more separate compartments for dry ice. Thats a record, is there even an American mug with more than one place??

Pic form Ooga (Nomad- don't be mad)

stuckieshaft
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 3:38 pm   Permalink

Teakey,

I think you need to reevaluate your definition of an mugmaker/artist.
You say Munktiki does not count because its more than one person and a company.FYI, Munktiki is a company.. but a company with 2 artists behind it that do every single process, Individually. To simply say because its a company means your not an artist is BS. Allot of the artists on your list have at some point or still do out source aspects of the mug making process.

I see allot of claims out there of being the best at this, the biggest this, number one at this, hardest working at this, so on etc etc. For me it just makes me respect the individual or company even less and only makes me think they are trying to compensate for low self esteem. Let your work/product/business speak for itself, why the need to hype yourself with something that cant actually be proven.

-stuckie

"I support a self hype free world"

View Profile of stuckieshaft Send a personal message to stuckieshaft  Goto the website of stuckieshaft     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 4:22 pm   Permalink

"S- You say Munktiki does not count because its more than one person and a company"

T- You guys totally count. I don't know the whole Dynasty or other China made mug makers that might be out there, but Tikifarm and Munktiki are too company names. And the BIG TWO.

Of the list that I posted, TikiFarm and MUnktiki are in a class all there own. Thats a good thing. You guys are out selling and growing. If this was one of those smart test in school, and the question asked you which two were not like the others, I would circle A. and B.
I said that you as the two individual artists, that you have more styles of mugs than anyone artist.

"S- To simply say because its a company means your not an artist is BS"

T- I would never and have never not thought of Munktiki as not an artist. Actually, this posting above is from an another longer post that I was using to explain something else and since no one was responding there, I posted here too cause it fit.

I have more Munktiki mug than any other mug. Don't know what that means and I'll leave it at that.

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2006-12-16 16:27 ]

bigkahuna627
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-12-17 05:21 am   Permalink

I want LAVA!

A mug made to look like it was carved out of a piece of lava, the texture similar to a coco joe's plaque. It could be plain, or with a tiki carved into it.

Tile made to look like lava, 6x12 inches to use as a border or an entire wall. Same texture as the coco joe's plaques.

Wild Bill's Tiki Hut
http://stores.ebay.com/Wild-Bills-Tiki-Hut

View Profile of bigkahuna627 Send a personal message to bigkahuna627  Email bigkahuna627 Goto the website of bigkahuna627     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-17 08:39 am   Permalink

"A mug made to look like it was carved out of a piece of lava, the texture similar to a coco joe's plaque, It could be plain"

Very interesting idea. I can't think that you will see a plain lava feel mug come out anytime soon or without your idea presented first but yesterday I saw something.

Now a plain mug wouldn't be complete in itself which most tiki mugs are going for. But this idea can be very modern when added with similar or juxtaposing pieces and in the right setting of a home. I vase is very plain but the shape of the vase added with other vases near a stone fireplace perhaps.

Their was an artist here that made a couple hand-built mugs with the texture of lava (using hundreds of pokes of a toothpick) and a simple face.

Actually you just gave me a couple really good ideas. One was the lava, I can see that turning out nice, and the idea of having a complete tiki or not.

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-17 09:24 am   Permalink

Ok so people are claiming they have the best, largest moai tiki mug out there. Well check out my hand build baby before you make any more claims. This mug takes a whopping 2 bottles of rum plus all the ice orgeat, limes, curacao, and sugar syrup you can throw at it. This is a night out on it's own!

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2006-12-17 09:28 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-17 09:47 am   Permalink

Cool I stand corrected. I thought that I may have had the biggest ceramic mug and the only hand-built moai, I loss title of hand-built moai and you get biggest Moai to date. I still might have you on the big mug though .
Did you make that? Is it ceramic? Very cool, and thanks for sharing.

"There should always be a path towards being the best" And you should try your best towards your passion. Always be proud and never satisfied will give you growth and happiness.

I always like a good showing. Just like the Olympics, were the best come to be the best. Six men enter and one man was the best that day. All the men were their best that day too.

The best is yet to come LOL

Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-17 9:14 pm   Permalink

Hey, BigKahuna....

Just keep your eyes open....there's some stuff in the lab right now......

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-19 6:30 pm   Permalink

Avis is # 1 ---> yeah at the time Avis had a boatload of low self esteem ~~~ OY

Quote:

On 2006-12-16 15:38, stuckieshaft wrote:
Teakey,

I think you need to reevaluate your definition of an mugmaker/artist.
You say Munktiki does not count because its more than one person and a company.FYI, Munktiki is a company.. but a company with 2 artists behind it that do every single process, Individually. To simply say because its a company means your not an artist is BS. Allot of the artists on your list have at some point or still do out source aspects of the mug making process.

I see allot of claims out there of being the best at this, the biggest this, number one at this, hardest working at this, so on etc etc. For me it just makes me respect the individual or company even less and only makes me think they are trying to compensate for low self esteem. Let your work/product/business speak for itself, why the need to hype yourself with something that cant actually be proven.

-stuckie

"I support a self hype free world"

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-20 07:13 am   Permalink

Avis the car rental place? www.avis.com

I think that Stuckie made a good point about letting your product speak for you.

Stuckie seemed mad that day, Saying BullSh!t and lowselfesteem.
I say let your art talk but since we have voices, we should certainly talk about our art too.

I think that the bigger the artist you are (meaning say most sales) the less available you are to your consumers. I was thinking, use Shag for any examples, cause as far as I know he doesn't post here. TikiBosko and Stuckie, don't post often. It would be a better place if they did but then it could lose that higher pedestal / mystery. Ex. Nirvana were heros when I was younger and then the the singer was total unavailable when he passed away. Some were gods to people.

But I would love the hear more about artist talking about what they are doing. Not to say that we don't have some great one that do post here. This place is speacil for that. My focus is on the mugs and what I guess I'm say is that a little bit of Stuckie and better than none.

We Try Harder!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation