FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving ****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-20 8:04 pm   Permalink

Here's one I've been working on. It a Taiaha Mask out of poplar. Still have a ways to go but It's coming along. Probably the hardest piece I have done detail wise.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-22 4:09 pm   Permalink

really nice, wood burning, very even and detailed, nicely done!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-22 4:44 pm   Permalink

Wow. Great start Tikimecula!

*One of the 'reasons' for intricate Maori surface decoration (on weaponry) was to confound/confuse/befuddle & generally overload the senses with 'otherworldly' stimulus/image - often as a diversion whilst you ran up and banged a few heads. Same with the flashing paua/abalone that was often inlaid for eyes.

This piece certainly holds the eye in that way - look out! behind you..!

The burning highlights the chiselwork nicely!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-27 8:57 pm   Permalink

love the burning, adds even more texture. are you going to finish this in a light or dark stain? either way keep up the fantastic work.

mahaloz,
TikiKirby

View Profile of TikiKIrby Send a personal message to TikiKIrby  Email TikiKIrby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-28 1:27 pm   Permalink

Here are some of my tikis... I call them mini tikis they are about 2 inches in diameter and about 12 inches high....Most of them are designed to hold business cards...

<Br>
<Br>
<Br>
<Br>

View Profile of tikijohn Send a personal message to tikijohn  Email tikijohn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 5:57 pm   Permalink

The more heads the better!

[ This Message was edited by: capotiki 2006-12-07 17:59 ]

View Profile of capotiki Send a personal message to capotiki  Email capotiki Goto the website of capotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-28 09:16 am   Permalink

For lack of a better place to post my latest, I will try to resuscitate this thread with my last tiki for 2006. I was trying to replicate this bugger here that was posted a while ago

..keeping things as primitive as the source material. Got into some hard times with this palm logs so its a little more 'weathered' that I would like and the bodys a little squashed--other than that , am pretty happy with it even though painting it caught me a NICE sore throat to end the year with

comments? I know it won't be too gushing as this one sat in that garage a little TOO long--I coulda gone deeper with it but it needs to jooin its friends by the pool

BB MoondoggyO
sweatin' to Quiet Village in AZ

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-28 09:25 am   Permalink

I like it, reminds me of a little warrior. Maybe even a little football player. I like the little compact body. Squat

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-28 09:56 am   Permalink

ya know what? he strikes me as BIRD LIKE---its weird. The arms are tight to the body like wings...I am not 100% happy with it but I think it will grow on me-plus hes with SIX other tikis and hes definitely the odd man out

BB MoondoggyO
sweatin' to Quiet Village in AZ

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 08:13 am   Permalink

Nice stuff guys,, Tmec TikiJohn, Capo and Moondog thanks for posting and we Still need More tiki. I guess we just Never get enough!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukipela

Posted: 2007-01-11 07:31 am   Permalink

Aloha!

I just recently decided to try my hand at carving tikis- and carving in general (September 2006). Whenever I go back home, to Honolulu, I try to return with a tiki or two. (I came back with five this last time)

After visiting many web sites from tiki artists, I wanted my own tiki and thought that the best way to get one the way I wanted was to make one the way I wanted. So, here's a sample of my first tiki. It's nowhere near done, as I do this when I have time to spare, I'm a student and an artist of a different sort and this is an exploration into a realm that I'm fascinated with and love, but have no clue as to what I'm actually doing, yet. Experience is the best teacher...

This tiki is only about 3 or 4 inches tall and carved with hand tools bought at a craft store. The block is maple. This is a tough thing to carve and for some reason, I'm beginning to think that carving a larger tiki would be easier. It's still fun as Hell, though!

View Profile of Lukipela Send a personal message to Lukipela      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-11 08:14 am   Permalink

Nice start Lukipela! If that's your first one, you are going to do just fine. Post more pictures as you go along. Welcome to TC!

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukipela

Posted: 2007-01-11 5:47 pm   Permalink

Thank you for the welcome and the kind words TikiDav. I do plan on posting more pics as it progresses.

Aloha!

View Profile of Lukipela Send a personal message to Lukipela      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 10:59 pm   Permalink

Bump.

This seemed to generate a good responce last time; how're you no-thread-of-my-own carvers going..?

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-16 06:57 am   Permalink

I agree with Tama. What happened to you guys? Lukipela, where are you?!

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation