FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving ****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****
furball
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-02 08:43 am   Permalink

Those are some wicked sweet looking tikis. Love the tongues.

View Profile of furball Send a personal message to furball      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-02 9:05 pm   Permalink

THANX!!!! kinda gott in a tounge mood latley! gonna try some full body next! glad you liked and thanx again for the feed back!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-02 9:07 pm   Permalink

p.s. will post pics as i go. love seein others stuff progress so......

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-03 4:36 pm   Permalink

Hello to all,

I have been visiting TC for inspiration for some time now. This thread looks like a good place to jump in for the first time.

I became interested in carving oceanic art after reading "Kon-Tiki: Across the Pacific by Raft" while on a beach vacation a few years ago. I first read this book when I was in the seventh grade. So, after returning from vacation, I wanted to get some Moai figurines but was unable to find any. I had done some carving before so I decided to make my own and have not stopped carving since. There is some real talent on this site but I will, somewhat reluctantly, show a couple of my modest pieces anyway.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-03 5:26 pm   Permalink

Amate, First Welcome to TC, Glad you finally took the last step.Your prior carving experience really shows through because your Moai is really Excellent.

The other 2 are both excellent as well but the difficulty of the seemingly Easy Moai carving didn't seem to faze you at all, he is Spot On. You captured much of that head often overlooked even by seasoned carvers. Well done.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-03 11:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-03 16:36, amate wrote:

WOW! Modest you said?
What's the materials?

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-04 08:03 am   Permalink

hello amate!WOW! NICE CARVES!KEEP GOIN THESE ARE AWSOME!

amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-04 12:54 pm   Permalink

Thank you all for your warm welcome and encouragement. I consider these pieces modest because they lack the fine detail I see on many carvings here on TC. After all, the Kon-Tiki doesn't even have toes!!! I believe this was my first attempt at fingers and I guess I decided to leave well enough alone. As far as materials go, Kon-Tiki is cottonwood and the head is elm. The Moai is a very mature driftwood log I recovered from a riverbank. The finish is a result of two failed attempts. The wood was honeycombed with borer holes and very soft wood. I attempted to stabilize it by applying a couple coats of polycrylic but did not like the way it looked. I started to sand the polycrylic off and realized how much work that would be and decided to cover it with walnut stain. It looks kind of old so I'm going to leave it as is.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-04 2:01 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC Amate. Glad to see your posts and would like to see the rest of them as well. Really like the look of the Moai! Looks totally antique. Nice work on the others as well. A tiki doesn't need to be detailed to be good. Simplicity is a good thing so don't think that it's not worth posting just because it's not detailed. Over detailing a tiki, that should be left simple, can ruin a tiki just as much. You just have to find a happy medium. Start your own topic and let's see the rest of your work. Happy carving!

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 09:49 am   Permalink

hello all!! just droppin a line! hey furball, have you finished the wicked little tiki you showed pics of just reacently? wld love to see him done!! gonna start a new guy tnight will post pics as i go. later all have a good carve!!

furball
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-06 10:43 am   Permalink

Hey there BIGGY Scott! I have finished the carve and just have to stain and coat him now but need to go to the hardware store for some different stain than what's on hand. I'll bring a pre-stain pic in tomorrow and will finish him off this weekend.

Since I'm waiting for a chance to stain, I have been knocking out a few other things, some Tiki and some not. Just finished a small Morale Mushroom and am now working on a large tiki-monkey head for a plant stand out back. I'll get cracking on the pics soon.

View Profile of furball Send a personal message to furball      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 6:30 pm   Permalink

hello again! cant wait to see that guy!! and the mushroom snds realy cool too!! and a tiki/monkey head!? that shld be sweet cant wait buddy!! well here's my latest in progress... hes made of spruce and hes gonna have a headress and full body(a first for me).enjoy and as always all comments and pointers are welcome and appreciated from all

BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 7:31 pm   Permalink

okay! busted my own butt in a small lie!! never realy considerd these guys as full body but.... i guess they are!! i dont like the way i did them but they were in the first dozen or so that i did! i like the faces just not realy the arms and legs. and i know i know painted mouths are kinda commercial cheezy but thgt it was kinda cool at the time and some people do like it but.... lol! enjoy!

BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 7:11 pm   Permalink

okay! made some proggress today. heres the current condition of this guy! still need lots o work on the headress,body,legs,arms etc........ lol! but here it is! give me a shout all!!

closettiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-08 09:56 am   Permalink

at last,,,,,,i found some time to complete a new one......
ive been pushing it aside for other projects.....but here it is.....

[ This Message was edited by: closettiki 2009-10-08 10:13 ]

View Profile of closettiki Send a personal message to closettiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation