FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Could someone please tell me about this tiki god?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Could someone please tell me about this tiki god?
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-06 12:31 pm   Permalink

I'm very curious about the Tiki on the far left in the group photo.

It looks just like the ones I've purchased at the Christmas Tree Shop (only much bigger)

Is this from an original design? Is it totally new, and who first designed it?

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-06 12:39 pm   Permalink

Here is the same tiki at
Hale Tiki. Brad bought 4-5 of these off Eaby for about $300 I think. The ones behind the bar look a bit different, but you can see the style.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-06 12:49 pm   Permalink

they have been selling these for years here in chicago.....there's a warehouse on the south side selling all but the short guy with the mask....they are all new tikis, not vintage....i reported on this a long time ago i believe...duke carter also knows of this place -i forget the name, but if i think of it i'll post it....they are expensive,,,about $450 for the trader vic salt shaker replicas....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-06 10:56 pm   Permalink

Brand spanking new. The tikis behind the bar at Haole Sneaky came from the same place. The guy sells the same crew on e-bay over and over. If those came from the Statler Hilton I came from Atlantis.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 05:56 am   Permalink

Here's a recent thread about the exact same tikis that were being sold on eBay. Well, maybe not the same ones Robert bought, but from the same source. Interesting to note that the eBay desciption says "These are from a resturant long ago closed and have dust, scuffs, checks, cracks." But I didn't believe it when I first saw it. They looked new to me and just a little "off". They don't have the appearance of being made from the chisel of an experienced carver who knows his tiki. More like they were manufactured from a pre-set template.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 07:41 am   Permalink

Gosh....

I fell like crap now.
Robert

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 08:57 am   Permalink

Well, don't feel too bad. A couple are cool enough to use inside. What about maybe using some outside with some strategically placed plants covering the bodies. I think if I saw these with mostly their faces peering out of the plantscape, they'd still be pretty sweet.

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 09:21 am   Permalink

I agree, Robert, don't fret. You have scored once already with the Jasmine Tree relics, those artifacts are the real thing! And these you said you paid very little for, so for your money, I do think they can ad to the general atmosphere of your place, if displayed prudently.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 09:24 am   Permalink

Well, I think the ones bought for Hale Tiki for $300 were bought as a mistake. They should have been $300 each and the seller goofed and sold them all for that amount and honored the sale anyway. That gives you some idea of the going rate on these. $300 a piece. So, hopefully you got a good deal. Maybe not the deal you thought you were getting, but a good one none the less.

We were told they were mahogany. If they were mine, I'd make a test cut on the back somewhere and see what the wood is like and maybe get a carver to add some nicer cuts on them. Make them look a bit more frsh and less smooth. A couple of hours in the hands of a talented carver and they would look far better. You might have to re-stain them. Maybe not.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 09:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-07 07:41, Robertiki wrote:
Gosh....

I fell like crap now.
Robert

Don't feel so bad -- you still have a heck of a story. It's not the story you wanted, but it's still a great story. Keep it in perspective: your story ends with you being in possession of 8 honkin' big tikis. It's really not a bad thing.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 8:46 pm   Permalink

The two Hawaiian looking guys aren't that bad....I'd have taken them for the price.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 10:17 am   Permalink

I just spoke with one of the Auction workers. He seems to think that some of the statues came out of the Bali Hai in Long Island, a restaurant that went under.

Hmmmmm. Anyone know of this?
Robert

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 1:26 pm   Permalink

I’m afraid they are yanking your chain; these did not come out of any place aside from a container off a cargo ship. Which pieces do they claim came from the Bali Hai? Not the ones marked “Trader Vics” I hope, that wouldn’t make much sense. Unless they have pictures of the carvings in the Bali Hai (or anyplace else) I would be very skeptical about any explanation they offer you.
The same style wood carvings have been imported from the Far East for the last few years, what are the chances they were ever in an establishment that’s been closed down for decades now.
I don’t know how reputable auctioneers normally are, but perhaps they could refund you some portion of the purchase price?

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 3:29 pm   Permalink

Honestly, like I said, they were beyond cheap.

I've bought cords of firewood too green to burn for less than this.

Besides, anyone who has ever bought at an auction knows that final price is final price.

Besides, the worst situation would be for them to say..."OK, return them then."

Now that I'm back in Oregon.

So my big find ended up not being so big.

Like I said earlier, I have bought firewood for more, and it is going to be one long wet and cold winter.
Robert

Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 5:44 pm   Permalink

hi, I think I bought one on ebay too that looks like the tall one. heres a picture

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation