FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Is the Islands Restaurant/Hanalei Hotel being gutted?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Is the Islands Restaurant/Hanalei Hotel being gutted?
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-11 7:28 pm   Permalink

My third "Tiki Road Trip" was in August, the week before Tiki Oasis (I did not know about this until after my trip was booked). Even though I was staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in the marina district due to business the week before, I was able to spend the next week exploring some of the well known Tiki establishments I remembered from my youth and re-discovered in my adult years.

I was able to make a concerted effort to visit all of the highlights I wanted to see. I even picked up an Outrigger Pineapple Mug at an obscure antique shop close to my hotel!!

The most impressive of all (Mr. Tiki, Bali Hai, Humphreys, Trader Morts and Hanalei) was the Hanalei (Bali Hai a so very close second). After a rather long cab ride from the marina, I sat at the bar and enjoyed several Mai Tais before having dinner in the Islands. The drinks were great, the food was excellent and the post-dinner walk through the remaining areas I had not yet explored were pleasurable.

I was very impressed this establishment survived through all the years of change and adopted past business's lost treasures. I remember growing up in LA as a kid visiting my great aunt and uncle in Oceanside, we always went to San Diego and we either went to the Hanalei or Bali Hai for lunch or dinner on these excursions.

I am surprised that in light of the re-newed interest in Tiki and Polynesian culture, this is direction the management decided to go. Then again, the same masterminds in thought closed the only good Hawaiian establishment in Sacramento in favor of Italian food.

Anyway, I have old and recent memories of a wonderful place in my heart and mind and hopefully it won't change too drastically.

The Hanalei, even though it may be changed, will not die, because of TCers like us all.

Long live the Hanalei!!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but what are you)?

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-12 1:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-11 19:28, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
My third "Tiki Road Trip" was in August, the week before Tiki Oasis.

You are in luck. You were actually a week and a year early.

Time to schedual next years tiki trip.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 05:51 am   Permalink

Oh no...Something was going on the next week in Catalina. I thought it was the "Tiki Oasis". Either way, sorry I missed both and will try and attend the next one!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but what are you)?

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 11:00 am   Permalink

I'm glad I decided to take my parents there late September when they visited here, little did I know that it was at the nick of time.

We can be furious all we want, won't help, just goes to show that we need to see everything that's available now, because we can never know if it'll be there in the future.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 5:49 pm   Permalink

This royaly sucks!!!! We lose the Royal Hawaiian, then Sam's Seafood, and now the Hanalei. And all within a several month timeframe.

We could have only hoped that Tiki Oasis showed the suits that Tiki is worthy. But the Jimmy Buffettization of 'tropical' decor continues to march along it's destructive and non-descript way.

What would be cool is if the decor from the Hanalei goes to restore the Bali Hai. But I doubt The Man would allow that.

Once again (and pardon my language), CRAP!!!!!!!

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 7:19 pm   Permalink

This whole thing is killing me. How do we stop it?
Maybe we'll see more places like Forbidden Island start popping up and take the helm. Just such a pisser.....damn!

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 10:07 pm   Permalink

As I was going through some video over the weekend I came across some footage of the now defunct Isander waterfall. Thought I would take a minute and share it with ya.
Here you go:
Hanalei Hotel 06

Very sad indeed... This was one of my favorite places to visit in San Diego.

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Al-ii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 10:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting Randy,
Happy Birthday
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Al-ii Send a personal message to Al-ii  Email Al-ii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 11:07 pm   Permalink

Such sad news.

But Thanks for the video...even if I don't remember it ever being that smoky.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 09:34 am   Permalink

Damn, i was looking forward to booking the Dragon Room for Tiki Oasis again.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-14 09:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-13 22:07, Chongolio wrote:
As I was going through some video over the weekend I came across some footage of the now defunct Isander waterfall. Thought I would take a minute and share it with ya.
Here you go:
Hanalei Hotel 06

Very sad indeed... This was one of my favorite places to visit in San Diego.

Great video!!! I wonder how many other Oasis 6 attendees will be thinking "I should have video taped the restaurant too!"????
As you stated...Thanks for the memories!

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 09:58 am   Permalink

I have hours of footage from the past oasis including Bosko's Hanalei tour in its entirety.

It has been documented and will be available for public viewing someday.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 11:29 am   Permalink

I'd buy that DVD.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 4:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-13 19:19, Matt Reese wrote:
This whole thing is killing me. How do we stop it?
Maybe we'll see more places like Forbidden Island start popping up and take the helm. Just such a pisser.....damn!

Matt,

While I TRULY LOVE Forbidden Island and wouldn't mind seeing more of the like, the thing we at TC need to start doing is saving the Tiki History that we have!

You asked, "How do we stop it?", I'm glad you asked!
I already posted suggestions to that question on this very thread but because of the continued worries and the fact that I've seen so many places of Tiki History disappear into memories just this year alone I am starting a new thread under General Tiki called "SAVE OUR TIKI HISTORY". I will post all the info I could gather today plus some photos of the now departed Jasmine Tree in Portland and will hope that members of TC will take it seriously enough to get involved and post what they learn.

Maybe we'll actually see that Tiki Museum idea come to light and with that many of our favorite old Tiki locations saved as HISTORICAL LANDMARKS!

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-14 7:42 pm   Permalink

I've been away from TC for a bit, this is what happens when I blink.

I'm in anguish.

Our beloved Hanalei becomes yet ANOTHER location in our photo gallery I'll have to relist as RIP- or at least changed (again) beyond any recognition. I KNEW we needed to make last year's Oasis! Damn!

OakTiki and I only got to enjoy the Islands on two trips through San Diego, but it was truely one of the most evocative 'stepping into a postcard' locales we had left. I'm heartbroken.

Fix yerself a good stiff drink, then take a looksee at what we just lost- a few pages worth of documentation we took back in May 2005-
http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Hanalei-and-Islands

[ This Message was edited by: Sabina 2006-11-14 19:43 ]

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation