FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki If you are ever in Sacramento
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
If you are ever in Sacramento
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-10 08:48 am   Permalink

I know...Not everyone thinks of Sacramento as a Tiki Mecca, although we do have our fair share of Harvey's and Trader Dicks mugs...

If you are ever in Sacramento, I would recommend a visit to a place chock full of Tiki collectibles. They are located in a sign business in Rancho Cordova, a suburb east of Sacramento.

I met the owner, Bo whilst hauling a fifties era cement Maori style garden tiki that I had purchased at an antique show. He stopped me to ask me about the tiki and we struck up a conversation about tikis and collecting in general. He invited me to stop by his shop to look at his collection.

His shop is in an industrial area and from the outside doesn't look like much when you approach it tiki-wise. Once you are able to see into the windows, little doubt is left that this guys knows his stuff and his collection stands testament to years of collecting tiki and Hawaiiana items.

Bo's primary business is making signs. His shop is a catacomb of offices and hallways and every square inch is filled with his personal collection. I counted at least three vintage tiki bars and everything tiki imaginable. Bo also is a hot-rodder and has one bar that sports vintage devil collectibles (Halloween, toys, etc), not Satan. There is also a good sized warehouse behind the offices that is filled with all kinds of mysterious goodies, but perhaps my favorite are the large tikis Bo rescued from the Hawaiian Gardens restaurant that used to be on Watt Ave in Sacramento (he has two in the shop and one at home).

Bo also manufactures products related to tiki and hot rod. He has created some interesting and original artwork and casts tiki relief masks, as well as shift knobs for hot rods. This cat is too much!

So, if you are ever out that way, stop in a say hello, look around and you will be amazed. Bo sells the stuff he and his artist make. Bo is at his shop Monday-Friday. I would suggest calling before you head over and make sure he is there! I can't find his card but I think his number (916)859-0824.

The address is:
11337 Suite 10 Trade Center Drive
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670

It is worth the stop.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but what are you)!

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2006-11-10 18:42 ]

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-10 2:18 pm   Permalink

Pycho, moondog (Ken) has a sign biness too, in Carmichael. Shootz, there are a lot of other tiki people up there now. TikiHula, Mystiki, kingstiedye, and others, my mind lags a little. I sold a tiki to a cop up there a few years back. I'd love to do a show but not familiar with any place. I think Sac is hungry for tiki, just need to organize and market.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-11-16 07:48 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moondog426
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 9:23 pm   Permalink

very cool....Sacramento needs a tiki bar!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: moondog426 2006-11-14 22:06 ]

View Profile of moondog426 Send a personal message to moondog426  Email moondog426     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moondog426
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 2:12 pm   Permalink

I stopped in on Bo today. I guess I have known him about 13 years. I always knew he had hot rod and fifties stuff but was unaware of all the tikis. It is a very impressive cool collection. I see drunken hat, tiki cleen and jungle trader maybe making a road trip....you better let me know when and stop by here too!

View Profile of moondog426 Send a personal message to moondog426  Email moondog426     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 7:47 pm   Permalink

tarzan see road trip in crystal ball near future too.
Jane say good, cheetah nod head ah ah eep.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 9:28 pm   Permalink

don't go without me!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-16 06:46 am   Permalink

I am glad to see some response to this thread. I know Sacramento is lacking a Tiki establishment for us locals to call home and hold meetings at.

I hope that next year we might be able to have our own event somewhere but where that somewhere is could be is the challenge.

I plan on attending a few events soon, but it is difficult time wise to travel the distance of of these shindigs are at.

Then there's the drinking thing...pretty much at least a two day commitment if you plan on imbibing, which I would and do.

Until then, I will be content with exploring and discovering what I can and pass the information along as I find it.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but what are you)?

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-16 10:25 am   Permalink

pool party at my house next summer for sure.

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-16 5:54 pm   Permalink

kingstiedye...being shomewhat new to all this...has there been a Sacramento event?

If not, why? If so, when? If when, where? If where, who? If who, what? If the answer is no, then how?

Primo Beer, Come From Here

Has anyone seen my mask?

See ya,

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but what are you)!

Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-16 6:36 pm   Permalink

I like Pancake Circus.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Matt 2006-11-16 18:37 ]

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moondog426
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-16 7:01 pm   Permalink

hey psycho tiki, Aloha Current and myself have been kicking round the idea of getting together at a chines restaurant on Howe ave. sometime in the near future. They do make tiki drinks there I am told. I am up for anything that's nearby.

kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-16 7:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-16 18:36, Tiki Matt wrote:
I like Pancake Circus.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Matt 2006-11-16 18:37 ]

i was a busboy there when i was 18 and met my first wife there. she went to bishop manogue high school across the street! i'm still pretty new to the tiki scene myself, but i know sactown is seriously lacking any tiki establishments.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-16 7:54 pm   Permalink

moondog and kingstiedie,

The absolute closest thing to resembling a "Tiki" restaurant was when I followed TIKI TOWN advise from TIKI Magazine and went to the Eastern Empire on Howe Ave.

Great food, strong drinks served in a tiki mug (ordered a Suffering Bastard, the drink menu looked suspiciously like a rip-off from a long forgotten era), which I couldn't figure out if we got it with the drink when we purchased it or stole it when we wrapped it up in a napkin and walked out with it? Either way, we then proceeded to the Tahiti Restaurant on Florin Road (basically behind the freeway) which was an all-you-can eat place.

Too bad the Coral Reef, Zombie Hut Tiki Bob's and Hawaiian Gardens are long gone. Pancake Circus is cool but we need to find something more solid.

Anyone been to Delano's (sp)? Island Grill in Rocklin?

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but who are you)?

alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-17 1:23 pm   Permalink

Aloha Psycho Tiki D. I'll bet Bo could talk great story and is a hell of a guy to boot. I'm looking forward to meeting him and checking out his tiki and hotrod collection. Hopefully I can link up with Ken and KingsTD for a little road trip.

On another note I like Eastern Empire even though it lacks in ambiance, or decor. As PTD said great food and strong drink-I'm ok with that! The owner is cool too. Besides alternatives are slim. Personally I like the all you can eat dinner with option to steal mug.

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-17 8:00 pm   Permalink

A feature piece on Bo, his collection, as well as new Retro pieces is slated for the Spring '07 Issue of Tiki Magazine. It will be full 'O' photos...including his customized louvered refrigerators, pinstriped safes, hundreds of beer lights, Tikis Dragsters and so on.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation