FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki If you are ever in Sacramento
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
If you are ever in Sacramento
moondog426
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-18 10:53 am   Permalink

This might just put Sacramento on The Tiki Map!!!!

Can't wait to see that issue...Heck can't wait to see the current one.

View Profile of moondog426 Send a personal message to moondog426  Email moondog426     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-18 1:07 pm   Permalink

What the F did Hukilau become a pasta house? That place was really nice. The owners put some nice new touches in it. Nice long boards, great breakfasts, nice graphics... What went wrong?

BTW: those cement Tiki masks out on the back porch were Bo's pieces.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-18 3:58 pm   Permalink

My buddy and I have given some serious thought to buying a place and making it a tiki hangout. We were looking at an old Quonset hut in a commercial area near my house, it sat empty for quite awhile, then someone moved in.

The place had a big yard, an upstairs area and enough space to house a serious party.

This was in the burbs and close to home. We kinda thought it could be like an Elks or Moose Club type of thang...members and dues and themed around tiki culture stuff, not a bar, but a bar, a pool table, juke box and TONS of junk culture icon stuff to make the place way cool and way "I gotta be there".

Who knows, maybe an oath, secret ceremony and (possibly) some paddling?

A place away from home and a place to crash if you can't make it home!

I think a club would be an excellent way to go. We are still in the planning stages and even if it is not on the scale we would like it to be, it will happen.

What a better place to hold a "event". It is still something we plan on doing...but if anyone else wants to take the mantle and move forward with this idea...at least give me credit!

Thoughts? Comments? Tiki's are go!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but why are you)?

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-18 4:09 pm   Permalink

And according to all who know me well...I have PLENTY of JUNK to decorate this place, but maybe so do ya all!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but where are you)?

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moondog426
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-18 5:27 pm   Permalink

Hukilau.....I wish I had gotten over there before it changed. It is still same owner. He felt he wasn't getting enough business with that format. I know it had food but I don't think he ever used ''Tiki Bar'' in any of his ads. ''Tiki Drinks'' gets my attention better than ''Sunday Brunch''. He also owns Jack's urban eats and Paesano's pizza. Maybe we'll get another tiki bar soon.

View Profile of moondog426 Send a personal message to moondog426  Email moondog426     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moondog426
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 06:40 am   Permalink

Just a thought...Maybe we should plan a day...hit the chinese restuarant on Howe, Bo's..maybe a stop at ''Swanberg's'' and ''sittin in paradise'' and then finish at ''Forbidden Island'' in Alamada (I have yet to make it there)...Of course we would need a van or stretch limo depending on how much interest. You put 8 people in a stretch limo it's not expensive...anyone game?.....like a said....Just a thought.

[ This Message was edited by: moondog426 2006-11-19 06:42 ]

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 07:52 am   Permalink

I was just talking to Stuart (Minnie's) last night. He said he met a guy up in Sac who now owns what used to be a Miniature Golf. He's converting it over to an events center with gardens/bamboo/ponds/tiki etc. But of course he doesn't remember the guy's name or exactly where it was.
I'll beat it out of him.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 2:30 pm   Permalink

I think "Sitting in Paradise" closed too.

I think the Tiki Club thing would be cool but it's a hassle to run a 501-c-3 not for profit...it seems like it would be actually easier to just run it like a bar. A Quonset Hut would be perfect too...I love those buildings.

Didn't Lauren just move his store too? (Swanbergs?) He might be a good person to guage how a project like that would work...and it certainly would be a good hub to plan events around.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 4:06 pm   Permalink

swanberg's is now on j about 22nd or 23rd st. i think the other one is still open too, but i'm not positive.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 4:58 pm   Permalink

I was just in Rancho Cordova for over a week! I will make plans to see him in january for sure, and No, ther wasn't much Tiki going around here. Lot's of commerce, but, no Tiki per sey. Good to know there is an oasis in this techno spot.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 5:06 pm   Permalink

Aloha Sacto Tiki Peoples,

I got a pm a while back from someone from Sacto who was interested in a Entry Way. If that someone is any of you, please contact me back being that I lost the pm. Will be traveling thru your parts soon.

MAhalo,

BB

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-20 06:23 am   Permalink

I have never heard of Swanbergs? Anyone able to provide information on this establishment?

I still think a private tiki club is a good idea but will need some long term planning and money. To purchase property in this area is expensive and investors will need to be solicited. A group of twenty people investing $10K a piece or so may be what is needed to get the ball rolling.

By the way...How's the moniker "Fraternal Association for the Revival of Tiki, (F.A.R.T for short) sound as a club name?

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but when are you)?

moondog426
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-20 07:42 am   Permalink

Psyho Tiki, Swanberg's is a store that sells Hawaiian shirts and some mugs and Hawaiian Music. It's not a bar or restaurant but might make a fun stop. It is on J street around 25th. It is not to far from ''Sittin; in Paradise'' another store.

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-20 08:25 am   Permalink

moondog,

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out! Didn't Sittin in Paradise close? I like your idea for a "Tiki Crawl". If we are going to hit Alameda, maybe we could do it on a weekend when the big antique show is going on...first Sunday of the month (probably weekend would be better).

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but who are you)?

moondog426
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-20 10:04 am   Permalink

OK.......I talked to Bo and he is up for a visit...small group, would take us in 1 on 1 for 10-15 minutes each. We could also hit the Chinese restaurant on Howe ave. I have to check if Swanberg's is open. We could stop in there for a bit. Also I may have stumbled upon a new tiki bar in the area that we could hit...Then we would head over to Alameda to Forbidden Island in the comfort and safety of Limo. I am sure some Bay Area TC'ers would want to meet us and join us. I talked to Limo Company and he has a limo that would hold ten comfortably, actually seats 12. It would be 80.00 per person for 8 hours of service plus tip. Bo would prefer a Sunday over a Saturday. If we got enough interest we could plan on Dec 10th.....Maybe it's too close to Christmas?.....any suggestions/input?.....Let's git er done!

I stopped by and saw Bo again today and told him of the interest a few of us have. He said most everything he owns has a price on it, but accepts cash only. He said he also has some things he makes which may be of interest to some of you. I also talked to one of the Owner's of Swanbergs. She said if we stopped by they would make some ''tiki drinks'' for all of us. I also heard of a new place in Roseville called ''Paradise Grill''. They serve drinks in Tiki Mugs but do not sell them. So this potential roadtrip is growing hair (wish I could!)

[ This Message was edited by: moondog426 2006-11-20 10:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: moondog426 2006-11-20 16:51 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation