FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Home brew orgeat
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Home brew orgeat
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-11 06:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-10 13:48, Scottes wrote:
I'm suggesting to grind first, rinse them to get rid of dirt and tiny particles that would cause sediment, grind, soak, squeeze, skip the settling because there's nothing to settle, and now the separation process is 2 layers (foam & orgeat), not 3 (foam, orgeat, sediment).

I can't imagine ever grinding before washing the dirt off. Grinding it first will expose the dirt to much more surface area, the majority of which is oilier and easier for dirt to stick. Washing it after grinding would mean washing it a lot longer. If you're going to start out by grinding, I wouldn't bother washing at all.

Quote:
Your idea of keeping it all in the bag might make it difficult, since I've found it very inefficient to hand-squeeze more than a fistful at a time.

Hmm. OK, then here's another possibility. I've been planning on picking up one of these things to dry off the almonds after their initial bath, instead of hand drying with a small fan.

I don't know how efficiently the filter bags drain, but if they drain pretty well, especially in the absence of microparticles, instead of squeezing the rest of the milk out, maybe we could use the salad spinner to throw the milk out with centrifugal force. Do you think the filter bag with the mash will fit down inside one of these spinners?

Right now I am leaning toward going back to blanching my own almonds to get maximum flavor. Doing so also eliminates the need to wash off any dirt. As soon as they're blanched they're ready to roll. But I'm quite sure I'll use slivered almonds often enough.

In that case, I'd wash off the dirt in a tap water bath, drain in a colander, spin the almonds in the salad spinner to remove the excess tap water, then grind them. Put the nuggetrines in the filter bag, put the filter bag in the colander, and slowly pour a gallon (maybe two) of bottled spring water over it all to remove the microparticles. I'd put it all back into the spinner to get as much of the water containing microparticles out of the mash. Then I'd put the filter bag with the nuggetrines inside (sans microparticles) into a container (hopefully about the size of the filter bag), pour in purified water to soak the nuggetrines, cover, and let sit overnight (or longer). When it's time to filter out the mash, I'd lift the bag out of the milk and hang it over the container so that it could drain for a while. When it had drained that way long enough, I'd put the filter bag back into the salad spinner and spin out the milk that was trapped among the nuggetrines. Does this sound viable?

The theory seems sound, but until I get the salad spinner and the filter bags, I won't have firsthand knowledge on those aspects. The rest of the process is sound.

As for Sgirl's method, its greatest virtue is making almond milk in a matter of seconds (or minutes if you include the blanching of the almonds). Her challenge is merely a filtering issue, but a formidable filtering issue at that because her VitaMix probably creates more ultra fine microparticles than any other method outside of making almond butter.

I think we're getting close to solving the almond milk problem. Once that is out of the way, making orgeat is a breeze.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-11 07:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-11 06:45, The Gnomon wrote:
I can't imagine ever grinding before washing the dirt off.

Yep, you are very most likely correct. So I'd rinse the dirt, crush, rinse out the micro-particles, and milk.

Quote:
Hmm. OK, then here's another possibility. I've been planning on picking up one of these things to dry off the almonds after their initial bath, instead of hand drying with a small fan.

Next time (tonight), I will simply pat them dry with paper towels and then chop them in the processor. A salad spinner, for $10, is probably even easier. But I just don't think that a full drying will help, and would not do anything more than either patting or spinning.

Quote:
I don't know how efficiently the filter bags drain, but if they drain pretty well,

They're efficient, but I think the mash still needs a serious squeezing to get the best - and most - liquid out of the mash.

Quote:
maybe we could use the salad spinner to throw the milk out with centrifugal force. Do you think the filter bag with the mash will fit down inside one of these spinners?

If I remember correctly, don't these spinners have a "central drum" like a washing machine? If so, the bag would be difficult. If the bowl is wide open with no obstructions then the bags would fit very easily.

But I'd still squeeze.

Quote:
Right now I am leaning toward going back to blanching my own almonds to get maximum flavor.

Yep. I got some non-organic blanched slivers at the local StupidMarket and I'm not happy. I'll be stopping at Trader Joe's for some organic whole almonds tonight, and will blanch and peel.

Note to others - we're crazy, and blanching your own whole almonds is on the edge of sanity. But it is one of the steps that ensures the highest possible quality in the final product.

Quote:
Doing so also eliminates the need to wash off any dirt. As soon as they're blanched they're ready to roll.

Excellent point.

Quote:
In that case, I'd... Does this sound viable?

An excellent, slightly crazy, highly analytic, mildly obsessive plan.

And I can't wait to try it myself.

But I'm still for squeezing since I won't think a salad spinner will provide the speed necessary to generate sufficient centrifugal force.

Quote:
As for Sgirl's method, its greatest virtue is making almond milk in a matter of seconds (or minutes if you include the blanching of the almonds). Her challenge is merely a filtering issue, but a formidable filtering issue at that because her VitaMix probably creates more ultra fine microparticles than any other method outside of making almond butter.

I have to agree. If I did it the Vitamix way I'd want a centrifuge capable of spinning 10 pounds, or a filter fine enough to strain the particles but large enough to not get glogged by the emulsion. That would be tough to find I think.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-11 07:24 am   Permalink

When we get this all down we will have to make a separate, condensed post of just the instructions.

"Ultimate Orgeat - A Collaborative Recipe"

I will most certainly blog it for sure.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-12 12:00 pm   Permalink

I blanched 2 pounds of raw almonds last night, and watched Gordon Ramsay while I peeled them.

I did not blanch them long enough and as a result it was slightly difficult to remove the skins. Another 15 seconds would have done it, but there were some bits of skin here and there and it should have been easier.

My recommendation would be to get a big pot of water boiling, throw in the almonds and stir and agitate for exactly 1 minute, then quickly strain through a colander and shock with plenty of cold water.

Given how long it took to peel them I was getting irritated and started wondering if it was worth it. Then I popped a couple in my mouth. Wow! There is most certainly a very noticeable difference between fresh-blanched whole almonds and pre-blanched slivers. Very noticeable. I am very curious as to how the finished product will turn out, which I'll find out tonight.

Tikimonkey is now Tiki Trader
Deleted

Posted: 2007-10-12 1:19 pm   Permalink

I'll admit to having only Torani, Vics, and Fees sitting on my shelf for a long time.

This is totally about to change, as last night I stopped by
Teardrop lounge. The bartenders there make their own Orgeat and it was an unbelievably outstanding product, light and refreshing, sweet and lightly almond flavored, it was really top notch stuff.

I'll have to bribe their recipe out of them somehow, possibly with booze.

TraderTiki.com
Cocktails, Slinging Booze, original drinks, and Tiki

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-12 2:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-12 13:19, Trader Tiki wrote:
I'll have to bribe their recipe out of them somehow, possibly with booze.

That would be quite interesting!

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-14 6:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-12 18:33, KuKuAhu wrote:
Ahu orgeat #1

2 cups of the organic sugar
2 cups of the almond milk
1 cup plain water
4 teaspoons organic almond extract
1 tbsp rose flower water
1/2 cup Cruzan light rum

Combined everything save the rose water and set to boil it in a pot. Once boiling I reduced the heat and simmered it on low (bubbling a good bit) for 25 minutes, whisking occasionally.

Had reason to make a batch of this over the weekend. I will sum it up in one word: "HotDam! This is good"

We cheated and used both Rose water and Orange Blossom water. We couldn't wait to try some so hot from the pot it was actually pretty nasty. Then, as it cooled down and the flavors came together properly it just kept getting better and better.

Not sure what the shelf life of this stuff will be because i don't think it will last long enough to find out.

Here a shot of everything we made. The Orgeat is in the left most set of green bottles. Going from left to right - Passion Syrup, Blackberry Shrub, Orgeat (Green bottles with light color), More Passion Syrup (Green bottles with dark color), Pimento Dram, Fallernum (last lightest bottle)

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2007-10-14 18:40 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-15 08:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-14 18:38, Chip and Andy wrote:
Not sure what the shelf life of this stuff will be because i don't think it will last long enough to find out.

There's nothing quite like a good batch of homemade. You could make twice that amount and not have to worry about its shelf life, only how to keep from using it up so fast.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 10:45 am   Permalink

Emergency Orgeat Emergency
Revolting Development Affecting Emergency Orgeat

Sorry about the poor quality image. I jiggled my cellcam.

I didn't want to report this until I had the opportunity to test the new and improved Pacific Almond milk from a few different sources.

This is a shot of the new and old products side by side. The "new and improved taste" claim had me concerned right off the bat. I think the only thing that should allow that to happen would be to use fresher almonds and less preservative. What are the odds of that?

Anyway, the taste of the new product is OK—no spectacular difference from the old. There is one problem with the new product that makes it useless for making Emergency Orgeat and that's the fact that the microparticles in the milk do not settle and the milk is always lumpy. That means the only way to get rid of the thick suspended particles is to put it through a cheesecloth/filter bag process. If you have to go that route, it adds enough time and work that you might as well just make the orgeat completely from scratch.

The virtue of the old product was that the microparticles would settle out and form a thick gook that pretty much stuck to the bottom of the carton as long as you didn't agitate it. Then you could pour off the milk from the top 2/3 or so without any sediment. When the EO ingredients were blended together, there would just be a fairly thin layer of froth at the top that could easily be removed with a drinking straw.

The new product generates a froth layer that's 2 – 3 times as thick as the one that forms using the old product and the froth layer forms a lot slower. When you remove that, it still doesn't seem right, and it isn't. The blending just smooths out it's lumpy consistency and leaves the microparticles suspended in the liquid. The result is that it makes all drinks cloudy.

I'm still checking to see if the new product will eventually settle out like the old product after it has a chance to sit still for a period of time. But the old product would settle out within a day or two after it was shaken up. The new product has not settled out after a few weeks, nor has it shown any indication that it might ever. Unless some other company makes almond milk similar to the old Pacific product, Emergency Orgeat might be a thing of the past.

Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 1:40 pm   Permalink

How about an ingredient comparison in an attempt to identify what's been changed?

In my local stores I have seen 3 or 4 different brands of Almond Milk. Maybe one of these is till good?

BastardoSaffrin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-09 04:23 am   Permalink

That's getting very, very tough.

View Profile of BastardoSaffrin Send a personal message to BastardoSaffrin  Goto the website of BastardoSaffrin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-09 3:52 pm   Permalink

Gnomon - I got around to making your emergency orgeat last weekend and I must say, nice job! Very tasty stuff. My only reservation is the viscosity. It's very thin. I guess I'm used to the thick Trader Vic's stuff. But other than that, this has the artificial orgeats beat, hands down. I'll have to make KuKu's too and compare. I saw his recipe a year or so ago. Time to get down to it.

Oh, by the way, I can't recall the brand of almond milk I used, but I think it's the same as the one you have pictured. I got it from Whole Foods. Anyway, I picked up the unsweetened version. I figured I was adding sugar already, so why double it?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-09 4:02 pm   Permalink

Oh, and by the way, I ordered some Roskin Premier Essence Orgeat recently based on Beachbum Berry's recommendation in Sippin' Safari. I'm not sure if he got his bottles switched up or what, but I've got to tell you... this is some foul stuff. It pains me to say that because I know of the history of the owner, Bob Esmino from Sippin'. It's all high fructose corn syrup and artificial crap. Very disappointing.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-09 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-09 16:02, GatorRob wrote:
Oh, and by the way, I ordered some Roskin Premier Essence Orgeat recently based on Beachbum Berry's recommendation in Sippin' Safari. I'm not sure if he got his bottles switched up or what, but I've got to tell you... this is some foul stuff. It pains me to say that because I know of the history of the owner, Bob Esmino from Sippin'. It's all high fructose corn syrup and artificial crap. Very disappointing.

Wow, good to know. Thanks.

The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-10 10:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-09 15:52, GatorRob wrote:
Gnomon - I got around to making your emergency orgeat last weekend and I must say, nice job! Very tasty stuff. My only reservation is the viscosity. It's very thin. I guess I'm used to the thick Trader Vic's stuff. But other than that, this has the artificial orgeats beat, hands down. I'll have to make KuKu's too and compare. I saw his recipe a year or so ago. Time to get down to it.

That's why it's just Emergency Orgeat. It's thin. It has preservatives. It is not great, just head and shoulders over most store-bought orgeats in flavor. It's thinness doesn't matter much once it's mixed into drinks. It's basically 10-minute orgeat you can whip up when you don't have any good stuff around.

But right now, I have the problem of the change in the product's formula. Can't get rid of the microparticles without going through the same trouble you have to go through in making almond milk from scratch. That defeats the purpose. Gotta find another brand that is sedimenary like the old Pacific.

f$(*# spelling and grammar! English is just my first language.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2007-11-10 10:36 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation