FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts NEW mug - Pia-kua from tikiracer [making of pics]
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
NEW mug - Pia-kua from tikiracer [making of pics]
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 06:32 am   Permalink

I've really enjoyed the "how I made this" posts, so thought it only fair to share my first mug sculpt.

The guys at Cheekytiki spotted my zombie mug print design and asked if I'd like to come up with a real mug. Well I thought about it for about 1.2 milliseconds and said "oh yeah".

This is the plaster blank that Jamie sent over.

Then I got to work in turning it into a mug of the living dead. Started out sketching the design onto the blank.

Then had to be careful about where the cuts fell. I had to make sure the thing would come out of the molds. Plus had to plan how many segments the mold would need to make of. I went for 3 as I wanted the eyes to be rounded.

This shows my target lines.

Then I started of with the dremel but after awhile I decided I was being too gentle and got stuck in proper.

Once the general face was coming to life [unlife??], I then made sure I didn't get too carried away and end up with a zombie tiki tumbler, I wanted to fit in a don style, zombie cocktail, plenty of zombie eatting booze.

Here's the finished carve before going to Cheekytiki to start production.

The final mug will be in an pale, grey green glaze with a limited edition run set for the New Year. The cool news is this mug will be used in the Mahiki, London's newest Tiki Night Spot.

The mug will be for sale from Cheekytiki and my tikiracer website, I'll post on the marketplace once they're ready.

More soon.

Thanks to Jamie and Anjy for the guidance and chance to do this.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiracer 2009-04-14 02:10 ]

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 06:58 am   Permalink

Hey, cool job. Doing your FIRST mug, or carve, or painting, is a big deal. You taking the step to give it a try is the toughest part of the whole process. I'm glad to see you step up to the line and DO IT. Keep us posted.

View Profile of poptiki Send a personal message to poptiki  Goto the website of poptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 10:04 am   Permalink

Great mug TikiRacer!
I am always fascinated by the production process for mugs - you shaped yours in plaster while Squid tools his out of carving wax. Why the different materials? Can't wait to see a zombie glazed, filled with a drink, and garnished like your sketch!

Mugmakers of the world unite!

VanTiki

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
yumyumkid
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-19 1:41 pm   Permalink

Looking good! Can't wait to see this guy glazed up.

Couple questions. This is plaster? Was it completely dry or did it have some moisture left in it. I carved into plaster a few times and it was easier for me to work with while it was still drying. Also, did you use only a dremel or work with other tools?

Great post. Can't wait to see more.

Tainted Tiki eBay Store

View Profile of yumyumkid Send a personal message to yumyumkid  Email yumyumkid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-20 06:55 am   Permalink

Really nice work. Your mug sculpting method gave me inspiration. Thanks a lot!
I'll be keeping my eye out for the finished product.

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-20 09:12 am   Permalink

very cool, I'll have to keep my eye out for this one.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 1:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the great feedback.

To answer some of the questions. The plaster was completely dry and turned on a lathe by the crew at Cheekytiki.

A couple of people have asked about getting some blanks, check in with Cheekytiki, I'm sure they'd be happy to help out.

Here's a pic of the first mug glaze test - bit too bright

After a long conversation about the exact shade, which included the phrase 'swampy and more pallid", Cheekytiki nailed here

With the test glaze complete, the order is in for enough to do the first batch for the Mahiki bar and do the limited edition, hand painted mug in the new year. More on that soon.

Until then the mugs of the undead lie in wait...

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-18 3:00 pm   Permalink

Please put me on the list for the limited paint mug. The straight up green one looks sweet as well.

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 3:22 pm   Permalink

Very nice work Tikiracer! I am envious.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 4:33 pm   Permalink

THe mug looks simple enough to do and yet, came out with a sweet finished product. I always like saying the group shots too. The color is great and the mugs sitting in a bar will be great too.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 6:00 pm   Permalink

Looks great

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 6:51 pm   Permalink

Congratulations on giving it a go! I'm sure you are very proud that you did!

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-19 07:11 am   Permalink

looking good! the mugs are a great physical realization of your graphic style. can't wait to own one.

cheers,
chris
www.tikichris.com

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-19 09:42 am   Permalink

Creepy-cool. Kinda reminds me of Eddie!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-24 11:18 am   Permalink

Zombie Update...

Got to spend the day at Cheekytiki HQ. See how the whole zombie infection works from the molds

to the kiln

We then got started on the limited edition hand painted horde [50off]

These boys still need to be fired and then the green added, leaving the teeth and eyes white.

Had a great time helping to make these mugs raise from the dead.

Look out for the limited edition set [handpainted mug and giclee miniprint] soon.

Here's a couple of pics of the finished standard green mug - loaded with zombie [grog log]

Always aim for the brain...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation