FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Babalu - Lapatiki 3 - The way out is the way through
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Babalu - Lapatiki 3 - The way out is the way through
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 06:28 am   Permalink

Babs, is this whole thing done with power tools? 'Cause it's coming out real sweet. Is that some kind of mini angle grinder there??? 'Scuse my ignorance. When do you use the chisel? Or have you evolved beyond it????

You gotta bring it to the next Chop Chop, cause we all want to see you work on it in person!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 10:11 am   Permalink

Morning Benz....Glad your starting to feel better man! Keep drinking that Florida Orange!

Thanks for the props on this guy...he still has a long way to go yet. I have plans for many more of those little details you mention. The Babalu Babes brought me a 4 piece knife set, and a small palm set for my birthday...I'm very anxious to put these new tools to the test. I wanted to start off taking the face down on it, and popping the eyes in first...for some reason, it makes the whole thing easier for me to work on after the eyes have been roughed in. Will try to make some head way on the scull and hands this weekend....Babe no.3 said, "he is starting to look like the Cat in the Hat gone over to the Darkside". :-)

Thanks Benella...this fellow was somewhat influanced by this stone carving that I stumbled across while walking around in a blur on the streets Amsterdam last year....in your neck of the woods.

Cammo...will do man...I’ll save some of him for the next Chop. I’ve been switch hitting with chisels and power tools on this guy. I don't think I've evolved from anything...more the opposite...coming from kind of a metal back ground, I am comfortable with grinders. It’s my new chisels that I need much more practice with.
Below is the Babalu arsenal to date...that orange $45. Harbor Freight dye grinder is a fun tool to play with. Hope I don’t have to wait until my next birthday for one of the Babes to buy Daddy a chain saw.

Peace.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 10:32 am   Permalink

This is gonna be a great one Babalu! Looks a little "outside the box" and its
very cool. Love the bottom lip and what you are doing with the hands and the other
"figure." Looking forward to updates on this one.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 1:54 pm   Permalink

Wow, how did I miss this thread? Great work Babalu! Loved the photo’s of creating your Tiki alter. Great carving too. Your style is unique, I like that. How’s the Babalu lounge coming?

Smiles, Mrs Hoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 8:33 pm   Permalink

Right on Congatiki....I'm digging on these new knifes of mine. Hey, if people can wear tiki's, tiki should be able to wear people...right?

Thanks for the compliment Mrs. Hoptiki...Unfortunately, I've put the Babalu Lounge on hold until after I've reskined this 1947 Aero Flite Falcon of mine with new aluminum (it's been to long in the waiting for me)...this ground up restore is the other project of mine. Promise, as soon as the last rivet goes in the Falcon this summer, I'll start on the Babalu Lounge. The plan for the Babalu Lounge (which that alter is a small part of ) is to basically build a traveling party....Babalu Babes 2 and 3 are both bartenders, and I did a stint at bartending myself...it should be fun times! ;-)

Peace

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 05:29 am   Permalink

babalu, that is a FINE piece of detail you are pulling out of that old log and I'm Sure it isn't just Handing it over to you either. This is a MUST see constant update progress more shots and I'm getting dizzy in anticipation so HURRY!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 07:34 am   Permalink

Wow...the skull necklace is incredible! And what's going on with that small
piece of wood in the background, looks pretty cool too. Inspiring work.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 8:03 pm   Permalink

Sure wished I had more time on the weekdays....inching away....

Torching the earth? What's this wacko doing? How does this pertain ?.....ohhh, the suspense of it all :-)

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 11:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 20:03, Babalu wrote:
Sure wished I had more time on the weekdays....inching away....

Looks like he's grinding out a solid power chord!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-26 12:13 am   Permalink

more and more beautiful.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-26 10:43 am   Permalink

Babalu, You’re settin' the world on fire! This next tiki is looking sweet. I like the Hawaiian hang-loose (shaka) hand sign.

Mrs Hoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Hodad-dy Reid
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-26 1:16 pm   Permalink

that guy is looking real good But that Falcon is really something else! I love that top piece. Can't wait to se that finished.

View Profile of Big Hodad-dy Reid Send a personal message to Big Hodad-dy Reid  Email Big Hodad-dy Reid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-27 5:20 pm   Permalink

the tiki hut altar is outstanding. i liked watching the progress. your newest tiki wearing the skull is definitely your best yet. keep carvin' and postin', brah!

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 10:30 am   Permalink

Paipo...Rock on!!

Benella, Thanks for staying tuned in.

Mrs, Hoptiki...thank you for the props, and for turning me on to Sergio Mendes...I visited your "my space".

Big Hodad - Thanks for the comment on the Falcon...This trailer is my baby. If you like, you can learn more about the Aero Flites here
http://groups.msn.com/AeroFliteTrailers/_whatsnew.msnw

Thanks King Man....I'm going to try something funky with the base on the guy this weekend...I can see where I could easily screw the whole thing up with this thing I want to try, but hey...sometimes ya just got to go for it.

tiki beat by marcus thorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 2:41 pm   Permalink

aloha babalu that looks awesome i love the skull keep up the good work

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation