FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures!
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 09:19 am   Permalink

As we approach the official 50th Anniversary date of the Mai Kai - Dec. 28, 1956 - I thought it would be appropriate to share some of the ads, pictures and collectibles that I've had the fortune to scan and archive for the Mai Kai Family. I will also be sharing some of the images from a wonderful new friend of mine, Ron Licudine - the only surviving son of Mariano Licudine, the original mixologist of the Mai Kai. Some of you might have had the opportunity to meet Ron at the 2nd Beachbum Mixology Seminar at Hukilau 2006.

For those of you that are not familiar with Mariano, he was recruited by
Bob and Jack Thornton from Don the Beachcomber in Chicago (where he was 2nd in command) to hold the position of Chief Mixologist upon the opening of the Mai Kai. He was also the inventor of the Derby Daiquiri – a cocktail served at the Mai Kai dedicated and inspired by the Gulfstream Race Track in Hallandale, Florida.

Below is one of the print ads leading up to the opening of the Mai Kai. It’s one of my favorites. Look for a different variation that will appear in Jeff “Beachbum” Berry’s new book coming in June of 2007. Also pictured is Bob Thornton holding a Derby Daiquiri in the old Surfboard Bar at the Mai Kai – one of my favorite pictures from the archives.

I will be sharing a picture from the Mai Kai or a keepsake from Ron’s scrapbook every day up until the anniversary date. Please try to join us for a very special Anniversary Dinner on the 28th at the Mai Kai – just check out my post in Other Events!

Welcome Ron as well – he’s supposed to join and chime in to this post!

Enjoy..

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-12-01 09:19 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 09:31 am   Permalink

This is going to be terrific thread! Thanks so much for making these images available Christie. Wish we could be there on the 28th, but we will be away for the holidays.

EDIT: Do you have the dates for the photos you're going to post? If so, please post the dates too. Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: GatorRob 2006-12-01 09:33 ]

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-12-01 09:44 am   Permalink

Great stuff- Bob looks like a secret agent. Thanks for this thread.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 10:01 am   Permalink

I have this ad from 1956:

And have seen it in another publication from 1957.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 11:04 am   Permalink

GatorRob - I'm planning to publish a photo or something from the Licudine vault every day until the 28th.

There is so much material that I wasn't able to show at Hukilau due to the space restraints at the Clipper. I just want to share as much as I possibly can because there is SO MUCH that I want everyone to see.

I haven't posted a thread in some time not related to Hukilau and this has really inspired me to dig deeper.

The 3 cannibal tikis in the ad that used to sit atop the Mai Kai sign are actually still in existence and they're close to the Mai Kai at their warehouse - I saw them the week of Hukilau. I'll post a pic of them later...I wanted to badly to have the time to haul them to the Clipper but it was impossible. At least we have something to look forward to next year!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 11:07 am   Permalink

Swanky,

There were several variations of the ads in many publications prior to and after the grand opening. Lot's of color palettes as well. I have so many others that I'll be incorporating into my posts.

What publication did your ad come from?

Ron - where did this one come from?

The Hukilau

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 11:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-01 11:07, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Swanky,

There were several variations of the ads in many publications prior to and after the grand opening. Lot's of color palettes as well. I have so many others that I'll be incorporating into my posts.

What publication did your ad come from?

Ron - where did this one come from?

It came from the 1956-1957 Fort Lauderdale guest Guide.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-01 11:04, tiki_kiliki wrote:
GatorRob - I'm planning to publish a photo or something from the Licudine vault every day until the 28th.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant, do you know the date each photo was taken? And if so, could you put that date as a caption to each photo when you post it? I'm a real "every photo needs to be tagged with its date" geek.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 1:35 pm   Permalink

GatorRob - that's why I want Ron to chime in on the ad. But as far as the dates, the photos that I was allowed to scan were not dated and the family only had guesses. A few of them I'll be able to give you dates and additional information but documenting dates, we will be out of luck for the most part. Sit back and enjoy the images though, they're well worth the trip.....

The Hukilau

PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 1:50 pm   Permalink

Wow. Can't wait to see more.

I was really hoping to be able to join some of you at the Mai Kai 50th...as I thought that would make a great "First Tiki Central" event for me. But it just doesn't look like I'll be able to make it.

But...I'll get there sometime!

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 6:02 pm   Permalink

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 9:56 pm   Permalink

WOW!

I hope the current calenders look like this!

YEOWZA!!!

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 11:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-01 21:56, Dr.TikiMojo wrote:
WOW!

I hope the current calenders look like this!

YEOWZA!!!

Yeah! I think Kainoa (May) is my favorite...but that Pamela (Dec)...oh, man...she looks like she could hurt me!

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 04:43 am   Permalink

WOW!! Beautiful Tiki Eye Candy!!!

Great idea Tiki Kiliki!!!

I sure wish I could attend the party on the 28th but its a long haul from Ohio!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 07:45 am   Permalink

I was told they opened on December 26th though. Was there maybe a soft opening and then a grand opeing on the 28th?

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2006-12-02 07:55 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation